GUI Skins

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Aerdan
Winter Knight

Post by Aerdan »

Player1 wrote:I think the Zsnes Skin is just good as it is. Arn't there more important things to fix first?

If Nach likes it and want to spend the time he should implement it. But in my oppinion there are more usefull things.
Most of those 'more useful things' need to be implemented into the GUI, and if the GUI's a pain to work with, then they can't be implemented.
AspiringSquire
Born to Rule... Impatiently

Post by AspiringSquire »

AspiringSquire wrote:
MaxSt wrote:(and make "filtered gui" on by default)
I think that could easily bother newcomers to ZSNES...
Actually, I've decided that I don't really care about this. But while we are on the topic of changing default configurations, I would like to see SRAM Check + Save become default, as this would be much more distressing to newbies when loading save states only to find their save data replaced by some older version farther back. This happened to me when I first started... :?
[url=http://board.zsnes.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3298][color=brown]My [u]NES palette[/u][/color][/url] - better colors with any emulator.

"the more you know, and the more you can do... the more you are."
- [url=http://www.danielbohman.com][color=brown][u]daniel bohman[/u][/color][/url]
byuu

Post by byuu »

Nach wrote:I saw that image already, I thought it was nothing more then some concept art you whipped up in paintbrush.
Yeah, took me a couple minutes in MSPaint to do that.
I could do the font part if the GUI res. were upped, though.
I think that could easily bother newcomers to ZSNES, if they don't like the way the GUI looks with the filter they use for playing and they don't know that there is the option to disable that.
I was not liking that idea at first, too. But since Nach set the default window size to 512x448DR, then the GUI won't be blurred at first startup. When they start playing around with video and stuff, they should be comfortable exploring the other options. Maybe put the filter GUI option in the video settings, or options menu? Don't think that's neccesary though.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

byuusan wrote:But since Nach set the default window size to 512x448DR, then the GUI won't be blurred at first startup.
I didn't. I believe MaxSt or perhaps pagefault did that.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by snkcube »

Having skins for ZSNES is alright, but it's not needed.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
xamenus
Veteran

Post by xamenus »

AspiringSquire wrote:I would like to see SRAM Check + Save become default, as this would be much more distressing to newbies when loading save states only to find their save data replaced by some older version farther back. This happened to me when I first started... :?
That sounds like a good idea. :)
daft
Rookie

Post by daft »

byuusan wrote:If you decide to do this, I will volunteer to rewrite an old hack I did for ZSNES years ago and make the font variable-width. The only potential problem is that the menus are hardcoded, I had to manually change all the menu positions by hand to make the font+interface work. It was scrapped because the ATI/nVidia filter made the font too hard to read in DS modes.
I was also never able to fix the string widths on the load box, that was hardcoded in at least 5 places, some of which I couldn't find.
Please take a look here, Nach: http://snes9x.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1138
I can volunteer some time if you want to try and make something like that a reality. A 512x448 window for skinning could result in some really nice interfaces, including a Win32 clone for people who require that sort of thing.
I'd be ecstatic if you can figure out the code to change font size for the load window to avoid cutoffs like this.
byuu

Post by byuu »

I had the font size changed in that window. But the string lengths were still locked at 23 characters/entry. Someone could have probably gotten that to be increased without much effort, but the font was still too hard to read with a filtered GUI.
Nach, how about we make the skinnable font selection thing you were talking about, and let that control widths, too? That way, people could use a thin vwf font if they want, or the fixed-width 5x5 font.
The vwf modification is really easy, as there's only 3 or 4 routines that print letters for the entire GUI.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

byuusan wrote: Nach, how about we make the skinnable font selection thing you were talking about, and let that control widths, too? That way, people could use a thin vwf font if they want, or the fixed-width 5x5 font.
The vwf modification is really easy, as there's only 3 or 4 routines that print letters for the entire GUI.
Making it variable based on font width is more complex.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.