The Best Controller Up to date!

Gamepad acting up? Keyboard not responding properly? Can't get that other user to work? Read and post about it here.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

slore5
ASSTAXI

The Best Controller Up to date!

Post by slore5 »

Aight you fighsty mothafukas.. Now listen to the mothafuken Asstaxi.

There are many many SNES controllers out there... They all have their flaws...
BUT ... There is one controller that works perfectly like the real thing..

And that is... THE BUFFALO CONTROLLER! look up amazon, ebay etc..
Only controllers that are flawless especially the mothafuken beautiful D-Pads...! the sensitivity is shocking!! I tested by teasing...Pressing as light as I can... you can't fool it, bitch. You just can't!

P.S They are Japan Products.
p.s I used other controllers such as retrolink, classic fs, tome, gtron etc etc from friends who have it.
Every Time my friend drool at the awesomeness of my buffalo, I have to smite him on the fuken face to snap him out of it.
Seriously get it and report back..

the 10 dollar options are not your best experience.
Thanks for reading ya fuken no-lifers >; D
ouija1979
Hazed

Re: The Best Controller Up to date!

Post by ouija1979 »

I have just bought 2! I seriously have a problem, I have a box full of SNES controllers! These better melt effortlessly into my hands!
slore5
ASSTAXI

Post by slore5 »

It will, Bitch! It will! Calm the fack down, you will thank me later. :mrgreen:

..But hey... report back here, confirming my words as truth, so that others may know its real deal!

probably the most noblest thing you have ever done in your entire life. ; D
Last edited by slore5 on Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ouija1979
Hazed

Post by ouija1979 »

slore5 wrote:probably the most noblest thing you have ever done in your entire life. ; D
Probably... :lol:

Now I am all excited! They were rather expensive, especially getting them to the UK - but if I never need to buy another controller to get that official SNES feel... so be it! :D

I will report back!

...Probably in about a months time when they finally arrive...
slore5
ASSTAXI

Post by slore5 »

..ppfft what?! a Month!?

GET OUTTA HERE!!! :twisted:
ouija1979
Hazed

Post by ouija1979 »

True story! :?
slore5
ASSTAXI

Post by slore5 »

what emulator do you use?
ouija1979
Hazed

Post by ouija1979 »

ZSNES... Of course... Love it!
slore5
ASSTAXI

Post by slore5 »

crap. Why am I not surprised! :x

Have you tried Snes9?

Anyways, do you know how to set up the controllers?
ouija1979
Hazed

Post by ouija1979 »

Yeah, tried other emulators. ZSNES plays nicely with my 9 year old PC. I know how to set the controllers up. Been using ZSNES for about 10 years! LOL.

I use these emulators.

ZSNES
KEGA
ROCKNESX

These are the ones that work flawlessly on my old computer. SNES9X seemes to jerk and wouldn't let me use filters without going crazy!
slore5
ASSTAXI

Post by slore5 »

Oh that's great : ))

When they arrive, be sure to test them on games that require extreme sensitivity such as Mortal Kombat 3, Super Mario Kaizo or Lost levels (hardest Mario games on the planet)

Aight you cupcake?
ouija1979
Hazed

Post by ouija1979 »

Yup. No problemo!
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

I need to research the product a lot more, but I may give one of these a shot since they're only like $15. Knockoff pads are always suspect, but the Amazon user reviews are much more positive than the other more common knockoffs. The cheap price worries me a bit because I want a very well built controller with a VERY good dpad. Used Saturn pads have the best dpads I've ever used, but a "SNES pad" is obviously ideal for SNES emulation. I use a wired 360 pad for SNES emulation right now, so I hope this controller has a much, much better dpad than the 360 pad's notoriously bad one.

If I decide to pick one up, I'll post a review of it in this thread. It may be a while before I decide though because I've gotta research it thoroughly before I even consider buying one. I had a bad experience with one of those SHITTY Playsega controllers; thankfully it was only like $7 including shipping. It'll probably take forever to arrive as well unless there's a good seller(97% or better rating on Amazon) that ships em from the US instead of from Japan.
slore5
ASSTAXI

Post by slore5 »

good bye
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

You'll be back.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Yuber wrote:I use a wired 360 pad for SNES emulation right now, so I hope this controller has a much, much better dpad than the 360 pad's notoriously bad one.
Have you tried modding it? There's a few things you can do to improve the 360 d-pad, most infamously the "pringles mod"
I seem to recall some people had luck swapping the d-button from an XBox Controller S into the XBox 360 pad.

Basically, the design is sound but Microsoft fucked up the tolerances. And you can fix them yourself!
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

I haven't tried modding it because there's a chance I'll fuck it up, but I may try sometime if/when I research how to do it right. Another reason I haven't bothered is because I could just switch to a PS2 pad with that mayflash adapter I use for my Saturn pad. If I need absolute precision, I'll switch to the SS pad. As far as SNES games go, I mostly play JRPGs so the crappy 360 dpad isn't enough of an issue to warrant a mod. Hell, I can even pull off most characters' supers in KoF, SF and other fighting games with the crappy 360 dpad. I can't pull shit off nearly as consistently as I can with a SS pad, but I'm used to the 360's dpad.

I may mod it if it becomes a larger issue(depends on what I play) but I could always just buy another mayflash adapter so I can hook up a PS2 controller & my SS controller simultaneously. I actually have another adapter for PS controllers, but I get tons of input lag with it unlike the mayflash adapter I use for the SS pad.

Do you know anything about the SNES knockoff pad in the OP, Gil? It's rated much higher than the other knockoffs on Amazon but I haven't researched it yet. I'm really only interested in one as a possible spare unless it's actually similar to a legit SNES pad.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Yuber wrote: Do you know anything about the SNES knockoff pad in the OP, Gil? It's rated much higher than the other knockoffs on Amazon but I haven't researched it yet. I'm really only interested in one as a possible spare unless it's actually similar to a legit SNES pad.
I've seen it before. Never used one.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
ouija1979
Hazed

Post by ouija1979 »

OK! They arrived today and I have been putting them through their paces as usual. It feels amazingly like the original controller. The buttons feel the EXACT same as my original SNES controller even though the Buffalo one is brand new and my original has been used more than one hundred gazillion times. The d-pad was a little stiff at first, but good stiff, not the usual 'Oh my god I will need my thumb amputated if I play one more lap of F-Zero' stiff. After using it for an hour the stiffness went away and I was pulling off Street Fighter 2 special moves like a pro! I was also testing going over the ramps in F-Zero and pulling down, now usually you have to be precise or you will skitter across the screen to your doom, but nope, it was amazingly smooth! I shoved on Super Mario World and pulled down on the pad again and rocked the down to the left and right and Mario did not budge! Not at all! The turbo feature is simple. Hold the 'turbo' button and then press the button you want to make turbo. I did this will all the buttons and then turned them all off repeating the method with the 'clear' button! Brilliant!

This pad is like a dream come true, so much so that I am officially retiring my original pad after one last comparison. I will open them both up and do an internal comparison and post the pics here. Stay tuned! :D
slore5
ASSTAXI

Post by slore5 »

I want to celebrate with you....but I can't. No, I refuse.
Because that's to be expected...No surprises for me.

And you are spot on about them getting better through time....
At first they do seem stiff, but then again, even the official ones seem stiff when first opened from package.

Stick with buffalo ya fuck. What's with the blasphemy here and there? (P.S Watch it...I still have the whip somewhere in my closet. Don't motivate me)

But I'm glad you're happy with it...because I was going to issue you a full refund.

EDIT: And NO! I will not stay tuned! You love the buffalo! End of GODDAMN Story! Aight, you cupcake?!
ouija1979
Hazed

Post by ouija1979 »

Well, here I go anyway...

So here they are side by side...
Nothing too remarkable here, they look the same... the Buffalo is a little sharper round the edges, but I really didn't notice when holding it.

IMAG0721

Here they are with the back removed. Buffalo has great work inside, very clean and well put together... difference so far, the shoulder button's rubber pads are actually attached to the buttons and the L & R buttons have plastic hinges instead of the metal in the official controller... no big deal.

IMAG0722

Here is a pic with the circuit board removed... now this blew me away... the buttons are fairly similar, but look at the D-pad in the Buffalo!!

IMAG0723

It is not just a cheap clone, it is an ENTIRELY NEW BUILD... That works! (Buffalo on top, SNES on bottom)

IMAG0727

Final verdict!
I love this controller, it's a solid piece of craftsmanship that does indeed deserve praise. Is it worth your pennies? Yes. I am even going to go as far and say it outperforms its older counterpart in the D-pad department. I was completely stunned when I seen the D-pad inside, and for it to work as well as it does is a triumph! Well done Buffalo on this one... I take my hat off to you! And thank you slore5 for the recommendation... I may take you up on that whipping some other time!

Peace!
slore5
ASSTAXI

Post by slore5 »

I'm actually impressed with your comparison... (Controller on the right looks like a pale-faggot, admit it)

I didn't expect you to go that far... :!: Very Helpful for many who are serious about a Kick-ass Controller.
Truly, You are Hard-core. 8) ...(you crazy kid) --i hope you don't dissect your wife like that..
ouija1979
Hazed

Post by ouija1979 »

Thank you. I know how obsessive I can get over controllers and usually this is what I want to see in a review... :D

And unfortunately I have no wife... alas, in the world of retro gaming there is no time for human dissection... :(
slore5
ASSTAXI

Post by slore5 »

Oh you just wait.!... You will get a pussy. :evil:
But you dissect with your tongue in this case. Fine. Fingers too.
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

It looks pretty different as far as construction goes, but it's much more promising than any of the other knockoffs I've seen. I need to do more research of course, but I haven't read anything really bad about these controllers. I may just buy some used SNES pads+a couple adapters because I need new SNES pads anyway. $15 for these imitations seems reasonable if they're solidly built. If they were $5 or so like many other knockoffs, I'd probably dismiss them as shit since the other imitation pad brands are known for being complete ass. This one has a really good overall score on amazon.

My SNES still works, but the only usable SNES pad I have is one of those ascii turbo pads that are almost as good as Nintendo brand pads. The dpad & buttons are solid, and mine from I think '93 still works despite being beat up. My Nintendo brand pads are all beat to hell from playing fighting games with friends back when we were kids in the 90s, but the asciipad survived.(barely)