The Best Controller Up to date!

Gamepad acting up? Keyboard not responding properly? Can't get that other user to work? Read and post about it here.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

ouija1979
Hazed

Re: The Best Controller Up to date!

Post by ouija1979 »

Yuber, have a look at the other thread I posted, i have been using those Retro-bit on my SNES. They work pretty well if you are looking for a controller. The D-pad takes some breaking in, but I don't mind them... They have certainly fixed them from earlier models and I am super fussy (you might have noticed) about controllers. Any second hand SNES controllers i find at car boot sales and the like will be cleaned and put in storage, and I am stocking up on as many cheap and semi decent controllers I can find. But for emulation, The Buffalo pad is THE one for me! :D I can wholeheartedly say that you wouldn't be disapointed with the D-pad. Take the plunge!!! They are SO good I feel like buying as many as possible before they vanish and handing them out to my friends!
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Yuber wrote: My SNES still works, but the only usable SNES pad I have is one of those ascii turbo pads that are almost as good as Nintendo brand pads.
I miss my ASCIIPad. It got stolen years and years ago.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
ouija1979
Hazed

Post by ouija1979 »

I know that pad was officially licensed, and that was rare for a 3rd party controller. They must have been doing something right!
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

ouija1979 wrote:I know that pad was officially licensed, and that was rare for a 3rd party controller. They must have been doing something right!
The Super Advantage was too, and it wasn't really a very good controller.
I'd wager the Acclaim Dual Turbo wireless controllers kinda sucked too, and they were licensed.

It's more a case of there wasn't really a compelling reason TO get your controllers licensed.
Ascii in general seems to have made the effort, likely because they already had a good working relationship with Nintendo.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
KHDownloads
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

ouija1979 wrote:Yuber, have a look at the other thread I posted, i have been using those Retro-bit on my SNES. They work pretty well if you are looking for a controller. The D-pad takes some breaking in, but I don't mind them... They have certainly fixed them from earlier models and I am super fussy (you might have noticed) about controllers. Any second hand SNES controllers i find at car boot sales and the like will be cleaned and put in storage, and I am stocking up on as many cheap and semi decent controllers I can find. But for emulation, The Buffalo pad is THE one for me! :D I can wholeheartedly say that you wouldn't be disapointed with the D-pad. Take the plunge!!! They are SO good I feel like buying as many as possible before they vanish and handing them out to my friends!
Thanks man, but I prefer wired controllers over wireless ones. I'll use wireless pads but only if there aren't equal or better wired alternatives.
Gil_Hamilton wrote:I miss my ASCIIPad. It got stolen years and years ago.
I hope you kicked the shit out of whoever(if you know who stole it) took it. Buying used pads is a gamble, but asciipads are available on Amazon. I also like how the colors of the buttons mimic the Japanese & UK designs rather than the comparatively bland, shitty looking US pads. Other than using it in SF2 for Honda & Blanka's rapid press moves, those babies are really useful for Lete river cheating. The downside, especially if you level too high is that you won't be able to boost stats with Espers as much. Speaking of FF6, that mobile "remake" is HORRIFYING. Most of the beautiful pixel art is ruined.
ouija1979
Hazed

Post by ouija1979 »

Thanks man, but I prefer wired controllers over wireless ones. I'll use wireless pads but only if there aren't equal or better wired alternatives.

I never use wireless, in fact mine have a 6ft cable... I think wireless is highly overrated! :D

IMAG0728 by simplywully, on Flickr
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Yuber wrote:I also like how the colors of the buttons mimic the Japanese & UK designs rather than the comparatively bland, shitty looking US pads.
Oddly, that's my major complaint. I WANT proper SNES buttons.
That and no variable turbo.
Speaking of FF6, that mobile "remake" is HORRIFYING. Most of the beautiful pixel art is ruined.
We. Know. Already.
Last edited by Gil_Hamilton on Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

once again, the offtopic crap has been split off and merged with the ever-growing sigderail thread.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
ouija1979
Hazed

Post by ouija1979 »

odditude wrote:once again, the offtopic crap has been split off and merged with the ever-growing sigderail thread.
Yes it has rather gone off on a tangent hasn't it? lol. Seriously Yuber. I don't know what more research you want, I have literally tore the controller apart - and posted pictures! What are you waiting for? They aren't that expensive, same with anyone else reading this. I am not on commission or anything like that, the Buffalo pad is the best pad on the market, and I have a horrible feeling it will vanish soon. I have already clocked up many hours on this controller and I am thoroughly in love with it! I am not lying when I tell you it feels exactly the same as the SNES pad!... I am stocking up! A few years from now when you can't get this pad and everyone is raving about them, and they are going for stupid money on ebay because of the fakes... I will be selling them! We were recommended them, I bought 2. I have been blown away. I posted a review and a literal piece by piece breakdown, and nobody wants to take the chance...

Sorry slore5, I tried my hardest to convert more lol... You were right... My God it is an awesome controller - were you right!
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

I wasn't asking YOU to do more research; I said I needed to research the pad more myself before buying. You misunderstood. I probably will buy one because they're so cheap.
ouija1979
Hazed

Post by ouija1979 »

Yuber wrote:I wasn't asking YOU to do more research; I said I needed to research the pad more myself before buying. You misunderstood. I probably will buy one because they're so cheap.
But how can you research without someone having experienced something first? I thought I did good :(

Not to worry, I look forward to your review..

Blessings.
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

I'm looking more for additional user reviews outside of Amazon rather than technical details that I don't know anything about. I certainly appreciate your research, and I should've been more specific when I said I needed to research it more. I'm hesitant because I don't need another controller atm, but because it's so cheap I'll probably end up buying one eventually. Another reason I hesitate is because I want another all-around pad that I can use for NES, SNES, PS1-2, arcade etc. emulation. A SNES pad knockoff that's actually well built & functional does sound pretty sweet though.(unlike those SHITTY playsega "Saturn pads") Those playega pads are WORTHLESS.

I agree that you can't REALLY research something without testing it first, but user reviews are the next best thing.
charlievt22

Post by charlievt22 »

Hey i just got into Zsnes for fun and i loaded super mario world all stars because, of course, and freakin' mario gets stuck going right. I re-mapped the buttons to no effect. I'm using a cheap walmart ps2 controller called snakebyte, and i'm guessing it's the controller...If i want to play super mario world, is this the right controller? Or is there something else i can do before i waste more of my money on video game accessories.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

charlievt22 wrote:Hey i just got into Zsnes for fun and i loaded super mario world all stars because, of course, and freakin' mario gets stuck going right. I re-mapped the buttons to no effect. I'm using a cheap walmart ps2 controller called snakebyte, and i'm guessing it's the controller...If i want to play super mario world, is this the right controller? Or is there something else i can do before i waste more of my money on video game accessories.
You can check to see if your gamepad even works right in Windows first. Or, you know, find an appropriate thread/start a new one instead of just posting to the first one you see.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:You can check to see if your gamepad even works right in Windows first.
And more specifically go into the game controllers test app in the control panel.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
ouija1979
Hazed

Post by ouija1979 »

Is this dude a member of this forum? It's not me BTW I'm Scottish... lol. Good review, hits on most of the point I made :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgiI711zZiw
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

Thanks for posting the review, and from the video it does look to be responsive since Contra 3 requires lots of precision. I suck ass at Contra and I've never been able to beat any game in the series.(I'd always use GG codes to fuck around and see the endings) I'm generally pretty shit at platformers. The(apparent) stiffness of the dpad worries me a bit when it comes to pulling off specials in fighting games, but I have a controller for fighters in case stiffness turns out to be an issue. The Buffalo's dpad HAS to be better & more accurate than my wired 360 controller's dpad.
ouija1979
Hazed

Post by ouija1979 »

Yuber wrote:I had a bad experience with one of those SHITTY Playsega controllers; thankfully it was only like $7 including shipping. It'll probably take forever to arrive as well unless there's a good seller(97% or better rating on Amazon) that ships em from the US instead of from Japan.
Yuber, was it an official PLAYSega controller? Or one of those unbranded ones? What was your bad experience? I am a little worried now because I have purchased 2 official ones... :(
ouija1979
Hazed

Post by ouija1979 »

Just an update for anyone who cares. :) I am still using my iBuffalo controller and it is still performing amazingly well. It has been well worn in and I can still pull off Street Fighter moves no problem. The printing hasn't came off mine either, I read elsewhere that the printing comes off easily but I have never had an issue. I have several stocked up just in case my original breaks. One thing that does concern me is that the serial number has changed on the back. My original is S/N:A31015 where as a newer one I purchased is S/N:A51101. So far no difference in gameplay, but the printing is bolder and I wonder if this is the smudgy printing people are talking about online, perhaps they are using cheaper components? I hope not. Still no other USB SNES cotroller comes close to this one. I am still impressed after nearly 2 years of gameplay.

Peace

Ouija.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

ouija1979 wrote:One thing that does concern me is that the serial number has changed on the back. My original is S/N:A31015 where as a newer one I purchased is S/N:A51101.
Yes, that IS the point of a serial number. Each pad has a unique one.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
ouija1979
Hazed

Post by ouija1979 »

All the others I have are S/N:A31015 Just the new one that is different.
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

ouija1979 wrote:All the others I have are S/N:A31015 Just the new one that is different.
then it's not a serial number; most likely it's a model or part number. the whole point of a serial number is to identify an individual item of a given model.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Or someone's bootlegging them and using the same serial on each bootleg.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
ouija1979
Hazed

Post by ouija1979 »

You are right, it most likely is a model number then. I will take it apart when I have time to see if there are any major differences inside. It is possible that because of the popularity of them they are being knocked off.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

It's also strange for a model number to change that much between two revisions, though. And, of course, if it says "S/N:" it is clearly intended to be a serial.

It seems highly likely someone is producing knockoffs of the original knockoff.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads