Solutions to Poor Performance in Windows 7 to 10

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Yuber
Trooper

Re: Windows 7, 8, 8.1, DirectDraw, ZSNES and You

Post by Yuber »

You totally misunderstood my argument, Gil, and the whole "entitled gamer" argument is old, pretentious and makes you sound like some holier-than-thou hypocrite(oh wait). By snitch I meant you're either A: trying to get me to say something you can report or B: trying to manipulate me into getting myself in trouble for doing the same shit you're doing. It's not clear-cut snitching, but it's snitch-like behavior and you're being a pest. I generally don't like quoting myself, but:
I wrote:The whole "entitled gamer" argument is lame & played out as well, and I never said I had the "right" to just download games left and right.
I don't feel "entitled" to download roms, and the roms I do emulate are either:

A: Games I already own legit copies of

B: Abandonware(can only be bought used)

C: Japan-only games that can only be played in English through fan translations

It's often A AND B. Additionally, they're old ass games that nobody's making a profit on anymore. I claim no moral high ground and I flat out admit I DON'T have any moral high ground, so stop acting like a wannabe cop or politician by putting words in my mouth. You know this silly debate is gonna get thrown in my personal, lovely derail thread anyway. That's why I invited you to PM me with whatever beefs you have with me so we don't shit this thread up even more. I don't care what some random dude on the internet thinks of the way I use emulators, and you're hypocritical to give me or anyone else shit for downloading ROMs.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Yuber wrote:You totally misunderstood my argument, Gil, and the whole "entitled gamer" argument is old, pretentious and makes you sound like some holier-than-thou hypocrite(oh wait). By snitch I meant you're either A: trying to get me to say something you can report or B: trying to manipulate me into getting myself in trouble for doing the same shit you're doing. It's not clear-cut snitching, but it's snitch-like behavior and you're being a pest. I generally don't like quoting myself, but:
I wrote:The whole "entitled gamer" argument is lame & played out as well, and I never said I had the "right" to just download games left and right.
Then you shouldn't have ever tried to justify it in the first place.

If the cost of games is completely irrelevant to anything... DON'T MENTION IT.
you're hypocritical to give me or anyone else shit for downloading ROMs.
I don't give ANYONE shit for downloading ROM images.

That said, I only keep mine for twenty-four hours.
*nods sagely*
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

Well, Suikoden 2 was a perfect example of what I meant by old, rare games being expensive & unavailable new or as a download. I own Suikoden 2, but I certainly can't blame anyone for downloading it because of its rarity and high price on the used market. It's abandonware, at least in the US. I have no idea why Konami hasn't released Suikoden 2 as a downloadable title because it is, despite its flawed translation, a masterpiece.

I looked up Xenoblade while thinking about rare games & noticed the price has dropped; maybe it was reprinted? It's still like $75+ new though so maybe Gamestop is selling used copies new or something. I've heard rumors about that practice, but I have no idea if it's true or not since I haven't been to GS is a long ass time. $75 is suspicious to me, but it could just be GS price gouging due to the game's rarity.(that's probably it) Either way, if I buy a Wii U for "X", I definitely wanna buy Xenoblade as well.

Really Gil, the only difference between us is that I'm too open about the way I use emulators.
*nods sagely*
and I'm Martin Luther King reincarnated
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Yuber wrote:$75 is suspicious to me, but it could just be GS price gouging due to the game's rarity.(that's probably it)
Naw. Game Stop is price-gouging because they're GameStop. It's not really related to rarity so much as demand.
*nods sagely*
Well, let me be the first of the new generation to congratulate you on your speech. It was pretty good.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

Yuber wrote:I have no idea why Konami hasn't released Suikoden 2 as a downloadable title because it is, despite its flawed translation, a masterpiece.
probably because S1 didn't sell well enough on PSN to make S2 on PSN look like a good investment.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

Well, S2(at least to most Suikoden fans) is the real gem of the series and it's very unfortunate that others won't be able to play it unless they either emulate it or pay retarded amounts for used copies. I've only played 1-3 so I have no opinions of 4-5(hear 5's good), but I really dig the sprite-based style of 1-2, namely 2. It's one of those series that varies from the typical "save the world from some satan wannabe" stories and while still fantastical, I like how the series deals with regional conflicts.

Konami should've released both 1 AND 2 at the same time because playing 1 followed by 2 is really the only way to play those games. 1 is a good solid game, but 2 is an incredible game with tons of little details plus a really fucking good villain. 3 kinda turned me off, probably because 2 was so fucking hard to top.
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

i know.

i'm also vocal enough about it that my SO replaced my long-since-stolen copy of S2 with a damn-near mint-condition one for Christmas. (she also got remarkably lucky on the eBay auction, and spent a hell of a lot less than I ever expected to find it for, woo!)
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

I'm never gonna sell my copy, but my S2 box is lost somewhere in my old closet at my parents' house. I lost it years ago but it's almost definitely stashed away somewhere. At least the disc itself works really well.
Gamesoul Master

Post by Gamesoul Master »

Truth Unknown wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Oh wait, Mystic Quest hasn't been re-released and I guess IV (II for the US SNES cart) is the 3D version (then again Rosa and Rydia can weigh in how positive could be). So I guess it's not all of them exactly. Not to mention the redone graphics of V and VI (III for the US SNES cart) is just not classic enough. So I guess the only logical conclusion is, PORT ZNES 2 IFONE!!!!!!111111111!

Then again, if they put Chrono Trigger on Android OR put all the current re-releases on steam with VII and VIII. Nah, it's not like I'd pay for any of it.

EDIT: Never-mind, they did put Chrono Trigger on Android, but looks like the interpolation filter all over the SNES graphics.
Personally, I'm happier playing an emulated Chrono Trigger on my phone than the version ported to Android itself. Just seems like an overall better experience, despite having to use a controller or full on-screen SNES controls.

As for Mystic Quest... I just don't know what to say about that. I don't think SE wants to remember that game :D

By the way... glad to see you're still alive and kicking Truth. Was just over at the pSX forums reminiscing about the old days, figured I'd make a stop over here and see how ZSNES is doing while I'm at it. And now I have yet another reason to be happy about sticking to Windows 7... :D
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

Personally, the only ways to play Chrono Trigger are to play the SNES version on a tube, play the DS version(emulated or legit) or my favorite, the Doctor L retranslation patch that cleans up & localizes the awkward Chrono Compendium retrans. Doctor L's overhaul of the CC hack is significantly better than the DS retrans in my personal opinion, plus the DS port has a few sound issues(Lavos' scream is horribly compressed for example). The DS version is pretty good for a port though, much better than the slowdown fest that is FF6 Advance.

I'd feel dirty playing CT on a phone :lol:
Silensho
Eternal Witness

Post by Silensho »

No flame war?

After all that proclaiming and almost insulting each other?

You just reasonably talk about something else?

What has the Internet become? A place of civility and friendship?

Oh well.

I also prefer playing videogames as close as possible to their original source. Although there are exceptions that look and feel better when ported.
What?
hunter pyrom

Post by hunter pyrom »

can a zsnes emulator run on my old gateway m405 with xp and 4GB of ram]
dr-nix

Post by dr-nix »

hunter pyrom wrote:can a zsnes emulator run on my old gateway m405 with xp and 4GB of ram]
Pretty sure the answer is yes. Shouldn't be an issue.
- i typed "rm -rf /*" and now my system won't boot
joe_devore
Regular

Post by joe_devore »

The oldest PC I was able to RUN ZSNES on and have 60fps:
  • Intel Pentium 3 866 MHz
  • 512 MB PC133 SDRAM (2x 256MB)
  • ATI Radeon 9800 SE 128MB AGP 4x/8x
  • Mobo was a Gateway OEM of an Intel D815EEA1
  • Windows 2000 Pro 32bit
snake_eater

Post by snake_eater »

Yuber wrote:
*nods sagely*
I laughed to no end at this!! XDD
pagefault
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by pagefault »

When we find some time we are going to release an update with OpenGL so you can run it again with "full performance"
Watering ur plants.
Truth Unknown
Regular

Re: Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10, DirectDraw, ZSNES and You

Post by Truth Unknown »

Updated post to include a link to dgVoodoo2 as a possible option, got to have that snow effect menu nostalgia.
Truth Unknown
Regular

Re: Solutions to Poor Performance in Windows 7 to 10

Post by Truth Unknown »

Hey a new title for those who have no curiosity.