ROMs think my USB controller is abnormal

Gamepad acting up? Keyboard not responding properly? Can't get that other user to work? Read and post about it here.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Chrysoprasis

ROMs think my USB controller is abnormal

Post by Chrysoprasis »

So, I'm new to emulators and really liking ZSNES so I decided to try a USB controller for a more natural experience. I got the cheap-o GTron classic FC SNES controllers (I realize that Buffalo brand is the crowd favorite) because I could afford two of them. I got them configured with ZSNES as far as setting the keys but some of the games I try don't let me play because it says that the game is meant for a normal controller. I guess it thinks that it is a Super Scope or a mouse. The games that I have been having issues with are Super Mario World 2 which tells me, "this game is designed only to play with a normal controller. Please disconnect mouse, super scope, etc. to start playing". Super Mario RPG tells me, " Please disconnect super nes multi-player adapter to start playing". Anyway, I hope there is some sort of work around. I would really appreciate any help you could give me aside from the obligatory, "should have bought a Buffalo".
kode54
Zealot

Re: ROMs think my USB controller is abnormal

Post by kode54 »

Open the binding dialogs for controllers 3 and up, and set their attachment to None instead of Keyboard/Gamepad. Otherwise, the game will see a multitap attached.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Chrysoprasis wrote:So, I'm new to emulators and really liking ZSNES so I decided to try a USB controller for a more natural experience. I got the cheap-o GTron classic FC SNES controllers (I realize that Buffalo brand is the crowd favorite) because I could afford two of them. I got them configured with ZSNES as far as setting the keys but some of the games I try don't let me play because it says that the game is meant for a normal controller. I guess it thinks that it is a Super Scope or a mouse. The games that I have been having issues with are Super Mario World 2 which tells me, "this game is designed only to play with a normal controller. Please disconnect mouse, super scope, etc. to start playing". Super Mario RPG tells me, " Please disconnect super nes multi-player adapter to start playing". Anyway, I hope there is some sort of work around. I would really appreciate any help you could give me aside from the obligatory, "should have bought a Buffalo".
Buffalo SNES clones aren't the crowd favorite. There just happens to be an active thread about them.

And brand of controller is completely irrelevant to the basic functionality of the game, as the emulated SNES games can't see PC gamepads. They only see emulated controllers.

What's happening is that SuperFX games drew a lot of current, relatively speaking, and there was a risk of drawing more current than the SNES power supply was rated for if a Super Scope, mouse, or Multi-Tap was attached. So before the games turn on the SuperFX, they check for the presence of any of those accessories, and refuse to boot if they're there.

If you have controllers mapped on 3, 4, or 5, ZSNES helpfully enables the multitap automatically, for obvious reasons. And SuperFX games will see this multitap, and refuse to boot.

Kode has the advice you need, but I thought knowing why it happens and how the fix works would be helpful.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
Chrysoprasis

Post by Chrysoprasis »

Thanks guys! It worked like a charm.
suni93

Post by suni93 »

I guess it thinks that it is a Super Scope or a mouse. The games that I have been having issues with are Super Mario World 2 which tells me, "this game is designed only to play with a normal controller. Please disconnect mouse, super scope, etc. to start playing". Super Mario RPG tells me, " Please disconnect super nes multi-player adapter to start playing". Anyway, I hope there is some sort of work around.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

The workaround is to configure your inputs properly. There's a per-game feature for a reason.

Also, NSRT headers. They are still a thing.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

Looks like you're replying to one of those copypaste-bots. :p
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

bloody fucking hell it's getting silly
皆黙って俺について来い!!

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

"Getting"? :p
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Yeah, now they combine a potentially ok name and mail addy, no links in their profile params, a first post that's ontopic, doesn't necromance the thread too much, written in acceptable english without any plug for external sites.

Fuck, I've made more bottish posts than those. And I still don't see how they can pull any profit from those one-post wonders.

Only sign left is an unusual discrepancy between nickname, mail address and signature, which is rather subjective.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

It's quite simple. After they're in under the radar, they try to edit their post and/or signature to contain ads, along with their profile. They probably added it to a list on the back burner for a few weeks or months.
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

Well it's proper English because it copypasted from the first post... still pretty well selected seeing how it almost looks like a proper reply. I wonder if they don't just have a basement full of chinese kids doing this crap.
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

A robot would have better English than they do, but yeah I imagine in some cases it is actual people paid to do crap like that, and probably tortured if they don't make enough of a return.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae