Zsnes DOS - original resolution

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

theelf
Rookie

Zsnes DOS - original resolution

Post by theelf »

Greetings

I realize that zsnes for dos, is limited to 320px minimun for VESA2* in DOS, and the modes Q and X for 256x240 at least for me, never works fullscreen (besides are limited to 8bits)

Thats why i decide to modify the source code, and build a test version with support for 256x240* at 8 and 16bits, and 512x480 8/16

Basically i replace 320/640 resolutions, with 256/512

** For create pr edit vesa resolutions use for example unirefresh, forks perfect in my TNT2 AGP

Compiled for Pentium (i586) maybe is not working in 486, I did not test

Some pictures

Normal ZSNES, show 8:3 inside a 4:3 screen.The only way to have cortrect aspect ratio or fullscreen, is do a stretch, bad idea

My version with real 256x240 support

512x480 mode, for mode5/6 512x240 games

Download binary

-- Removed, binary in my website

change to source
http://akihabara-online.com/Main/Emula/ ... hanges.zip

Some feedback is welcome, since my card is a TNT2 AGP, very new one, i dont know in old PCI or VLB cards if possible to make tweaks vesa2 modes in a good way

Thanks
Last edited by theelf on Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:47 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Re: Zsnes DOS - original resolution

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Okay, first, this is awesome.

But second...
theelf wrote: Some pictures

Normal ZSNES, show 8:3 inside a 4:3 screen.The only way to have cortrect aspect ratio or fullscreen, is do a stretch, bad idea
Actually, for your setup, it's not. With a CRT monitor, you can adjust the monitor's H- and V- width. That's a lossless transform on a CRT, and effectively what happens with a real Super Nintendo on a real CRT TV.

It's also what I did back in the day. It's more convenient on a CRT with knobs than one with buttons, though.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
theelf
Rookie

Post by theelf »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:Okay, first, this is awesome.

But second...
theelf wrote: Some pictures

Actually, for your setup, it's not. With a CRT monitor, you can adjust the monitor's H- and V- width. That's a lossless transform on a CRT, and effectively what happens with a real Super Nintendo on a real CRT TV.

It's also what I did back in the day. It's more convenient on a CRT with knobs than one with buttons, though.
Hi, thanks

Well, using 256x240 inside 320x240 and stretch using the CRT controls... for sure is what all people was doing until now... not very convenient if we can output real resolution :wink:

Besides I dont think in a CRT is possible to enlarge to convert 8:7 in 4:3, at least in the 3 CRT screen i have, this is not possible... you can stretch a little, but 256>320 is too much

Greetings
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

theelf wrote: Hi, thanks

Well, using 256x240 inside 320x240 and stretch using the CRT controls... for sure is what all people was doing until now... not very convenient if we can output real resolution :wink:
Granted. Just sayin'... it's not impossible! :)

Besides I dont think in a CRT is possible to enlarge to convert 8:7 in 4:3, at least in the 3 CRT screen i have, this is not possible... you can stretch a little, but 256>320 is too much
Awww, your's don't offer that much range? All the CRTs I've had gave me crazy huge amounts of adjustment.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
theelf
Rookie

Post by theelf »

Gil_Hamilton wrote: Awww, your's don't offer that much range? All the CRTs I've had gave me crazy huge amounts of adjustment.
Hi!

here i have 3 31khz CRT screens, Samsung, Sony and Philips, and maybe they have I dont know 10% 15% no more stretch limit, like 256 will be 288 or something like this, never fullscreen

I have a multisync screen from a old Fmtowns, 15/31khz, and this is worst, almost no stretch

And two sony CRT 15khz, connected to a PC using soft15khz, and this have a wider range for stretch, but i need to disasamble the TV and touch the internal adjustment because no remote controller for service mode

Well, finally is much easy for my change the code and output real resolution, that in fact at the end is the correct way jaja
theelf
Rookie

Post by theelf »

Sorry double post, i made a new build, just same link

Any feedback to know if works ok in a wide range of hardware or not (i only have two DOS PCs in home) will be great

Any Pentium and up, DOS, and vesa3 PC will be good for feedback

It will be cool if this small changes i made, will be in a future zsnes release :D because are very small changes, easy to implement in a oficial build
keropi

Post by keropi »

Hiya!

just registered to provide some feedback :mrgreen:
I am using a pentium1 233mhz mmx build with an AGP riva128zx vga (vbe3 bios) and a SB16 soudncard.

I get great results, fps is almost 60 all the time at Super Mario World provided I don't use VSYNC and sound interpolation. Super Mario Kart is ~28-38fps in race.
256x224 and 256x240 resolutions just worked for me, I did not create any new screenmodes with utils.

The build is amazing , it gives DOS people more toys to play :mrgreen:
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

I had a bit of stretching leeway on a Hitachi Superscan 811 monitor. I probably should've kept it but the screen was starting to dim and I didn't know much about CRT's or where to take one to get it repaired or what the cost'd be etc. I ended up getting a Samsung P2350 widescreen LCD monitor around 2009 or 2010 and am still using it.

I miss the CRT because it natively supported a fuck ton of resolutions unlike the CLD I have... it also didn't produce searing bright whites while managing whites that look like white.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64