ZSNES is no longer in active development.

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Cammygirl192
can't make up their mind

Re: ZSNES is not dead - Still in development

Post by Cammygirl192 »

I can't wait for ZSNES 2.0. Hopefully it fixes the problems we all know about (and I don't care about), makes recording AVI much easier and keeps that classic retro GUI we all love.

ZSNES will live on forever as the first SNES emulator.
:3
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

There were ones before zsnes I'm pretty sure, and i believe 2.0 is supposed to have a more native GUI.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

vsmc, super pasofami, esnes, nlksnes, snes96, snes97, and snes9x, to name a few of the more popular predecessors to zsnes.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
Cammygirl192
can't make up their mind

Post by Cammygirl192 »

lol, someone said it was the first snes emulator to get a big knowledge, or something like it.

What do you mean by a native GUI? If this means we're getting a new, more modern one, then can we still switch to the 1.51 GUI which I (and probably loads of other people) love?
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

By more native I mean, from what I read (don't remember where but probably somewhere in this thread), it'll probably be like GTK or Qt or one of those. Not quite native but more so than what zsnes is now. Would be cool if they at least offered a skin to make it look similar to the old UI but I highly doubt they'd maintain the old UI as it is now. It's supposed to be a ton of x86 ASM from like 20 years ago; hard to maintain and not portable.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Vitor Vilela wrote:I always worried about SA-1 compatibility with ZSNES since everyone knows, ZSNES is the most popular emulator and some people didn't like the fact that my patch always had some weird issues with ZSNES, which is also the main reason I'm been hoping for a new version so far.
We broke the timings on purpose at one point in the past. The voodoo overload prevented other timing fixes. We're aware it's broken. Most sa-1 games barf out and die horribly right now. We warned people not to play them on zsnes until further notice.
Sadly, people don't read much these days.

Your test rom is much appreciated.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Truth Unknown
Regular

Post by Truth Unknown »

Maybe have a disclaimer popup that goes away when you type "SA-1 IS BROKEN AND I WILL NOT ASK TO FIX IT BECAUSE IT IS FIXED IN ZSNES 2.0" in the 1.53 release? ... that's never gonna work because it's probably going to get repacked with TEH LEGIT l33t warez RAWMz preconfigured with xboxcontroller support and best graphics, uploaded to a file-share and the configuration will already have the flag.

Edit: Thank you for the censor on ROMZ, made that much awesome, so hax.
pagefault
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by pagefault »

I need to buy an SA-1 cart but they aren't cheap. Saving up for one.
Watering ur plants.
nintendo_nerd
Sir Robin the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot

Post by nintendo_nerd »

pagefault wrote:I need to buy an SA-1 cart but they aren't cheap. Saving up for one.
This may be presumptuous, but I think I have a cart for Kirby's Super Star, the save battery no longer works, but it's an SA-1 game :D If you need one to test, I can send it.
"Just because I don't LISTEN doesn't mean I don't CARE!" -Homer Simpson
pagefault
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by pagefault »

It's fine, don't need donations.
Watering ur plants.
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

pagefault wrote:It's fine, don't need donations.
Fair enough, I felt like offering nonetheless ^_^
pagefault
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by pagefault »

The sound problems are mostly fixed, there is a lot of sketchy stuff I had to add to get it working properly with the old code but I think sound was one of the #1 priorities to fix. I have spend most of my time still working on 2.0. Mainly just want people who choose to use ZSNES 1.x for whatever reason to be happy.
Watering ur plants.
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

pagefault wrote:The sound problems are mostly fixed, there is a lot of sketchy stuff I had to add to get it working properly with the old code but I think sound was one of the #1 priorities to fix. I have spend most of my time still working on 2.0. Mainly just want people who choose to use ZSNES 1.x for whatever reason to be happy.
Excellent, I'd love to try it out, do you have a potential time frame for the 1.x release, if I may ask?
epman6
Rookie

Post by epman6 »

nintendo_nerd wrote:
pagefault wrote:The sound problems are mostly fixed, there is a lot of sketchy stuff I had to add to get it working properly with the old code but I think sound was one of the #1 priorities to fix. I have spend most of my time still working on 2.0. Mainly just want people who choose to use ZSNES 1.x for whatever reason to be happy.
Excellent, I'd love to try it out, do you have a potential time frame for the 1.x release, if I may ask?
well it won't be anytime in september since that month has ended (hah!)
maybe before year 2015 ends...hopefully :)
Cammygirl192
can't make up their mind

Post by Cammygirl192 »

I do. There hasn't been any news on the homepage for about 8 years now, but at least we know 2.0 has been in development and made more perfect. These good things take time.
Cammygirl192
can't make up their mind

Post by Cammygirl192 »

Another question: is 2.0 going to be available on x64 machines? I'm running Vista on an AMD x64 machine so I don't know.
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

Termingamer2-JD wrote:Another question: is 2.0 going to be available on x64 machines? I'm running Vista on an AMD x64 machine so I don't know.
I'm too lazy to go through the whole thread right now but I specifically asked that question ITT or in another thread(maybe in a PM) and got "Yes". Devs, correct me if I remember incorrectly but I'm like 99% sure the answer is yes.
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

Even if it's only released as a 32 bit application, it'll still run on 64 bit systems.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

paulguy wrote:Even if it's only released as a 32 bit application, it'll still run on 64 bit systems.
Yeah, x86-64 doesn't shed compatibility with 32-bit apps any more than x86-32 shed compatibility with 16-bit apps. Linux is just stupid is why things break there.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

I've never had 32 bit stuff break under 64 bit linux. Worst I've had was Flash misbehave, but I'm going to chalk that up to Flash itself. 64 bit Linux seems to even be able to run 16 bit code, as many win16 applicatiosn run through wine without emulation.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

paulguy wrote:I've never had 32 bit stuff break under 64 bit linux. Worst I've had was Flash misbehave, but I'm going to chalk that up to Flash itself. 64 bit Linux seems to even be able to run 16 bit code, as many win16 applicatiosn run through wine without emulation.
I have! Got the awesome and informative error of "file not found" when the problem was "32-bit app in 64-bit environment"
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
KHDownloads
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:
paulguy wrote:Even if it's only released as a 32 bit application, it'll still run on 64 bit systems.
Yeah, x86-64 doesn't shed compatibility with 32-bit apps any more than x86-32 shed compatibility with 16-bit apps. Linux is just stupid is why things break there.
Not entirely. It breaks on Linux because the compilers on 64 bit machines default to producing 64 bit code.

Technically, it should be possible to build an i686 binary using -m32 for all of the C/C++ parts, declaring [bits 32] in all assembly source, which I think we already do anyway, which will work with both nasm and yasm. And then you need the multilib developer libraries for all of the program's dependencies.

Technically also, using -m32 will not break compilation on 32 bit machines, either. And if we build and package as requiring 32 bit or multilib, we eliminate the need to fix so much assembly code to work with 64 bit builds. It's not exactly rocket science.

Of course, then you also need multilib on 64 bit machines, and to build on 64 bit machines, you also need a multilib compiler instead of a pure native compiler.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

kode54 wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:
Not entirely. It breaks on Linux because the compilers on 64 bit machines default to producing 64 bit code.

Technically, it should be possible to build an i686 binary using -m32 for all of the C/C++ parts, declaring [bits 32] in all assembly source, which I think we already do anyway, which will work with both nasm and yasm. And then you need the multilib developer libraries for all of the program's dependencies.

Technically also, using -m32 will not break compilation on 32 bit machines, either. And if we build and package as requiring 32 bit or multilib, we eliminate the need to fix so much assembly code to work with 64 bit builds. It's not exactly rocket science.

Of course, then you also need multilib on 64 bit machines, and to build on 64 bit machines, you also need a multilib compiler instead of a pure native compiler.
It's broken if you're running downloaded binaries, too.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

Downloaded binaries usually must be built against the same system libraries as the distribution you're running it on. Versions can vary wildly between distributions and even releases of the same distribution.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

kode54 wrote:Downloaded binaries usually must be built against the same system libraries as the distribution you're running it on. Versions can vary wildly between distributions and even releases of the same distribution.
Regardless, you should not get "file not found" when you try to run a 32-bit app in a 64-bit environment.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads