ZSNES cannot leave fullscreen mode.

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

DarthVaderAgitator

ZSNES cannot leave fullscreen mode.

Post by DarthVaderAgitator »

My apologies if there is a more appropriate location for this question, but I couldn't quite determine what would be the right context. I will cut to the chase.

I am on Windows 8 and I have never used ZSNES in fullscreen in the time I've had my current computer. ZSNES usually works perfectly for me. I was on ZSNES, and my appeared to crash. The music was still playing perfectly, but my controller (Xbox One controller) wasn't registering despite being plugged in, so I wasn't quite sure if my game had crashed or not, so instead of resetting the game like I normally would, I set ZSNES to fullscreen.

The music stopped and the game went to complete black. I couldn't even open up the ZSNES menu or press Esc. I had to alt-tab my way back to my desktop and close ZSNES on the taskbar to leave the program. When I try opening up ZSNES again, it assumes I still want to be in fullscreen, but it's still just black and I can't Esc or open up the ZSNES menu. It gives me this error message.

What's happening and what am I ought to do?
kode54
Zealot

Re: ZSNES cannot leave fullscreen mode.

Post by kode54 »

You'll need to edit your configuration file with Notepad, or another text editor, and change the startup display mode to windowed again.

In the mean time, if you don't have anything important tied up in save states, you should probably switch to Snes9X for the foreseeable future, as it's pretty fast, and also much more accurate, and since it isn't hampered by ancient DirectDraw support when you use the OpenGL mode, it will probably run in fullscreen mode much more easily on newer operating systems than ZSNESW was ever designed for.
DarthVaderAgitator

Post by DarthVaderAgitator »

I opened up zsnesw.cfg in Notepad, as you said, and Ctrl-F'd for "display". Where exactly in the file configuration should I make the change and what exactly should I change it to in order to window my display again. I don't want to fuck anything up, is all, and I tend not to do things like this.
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

Change "cvidmode" to 38, and change CustomResX and CustomResY to 512 and 480. Or some other factors.

Also change PrevWinMode and PrevFSMode to reasonable values, based on the comment block above cvidmode.