Getting frame rate drops in zsnes (btw i'm too stupid to learn the name of the emulator)

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

eli21m

Getting frame rate drops in zsnes (btw i'm too stupid to learn the name of the emulator)

Post by eli21m »

System specs:
i5-6600K @ 3.5 GHz
GTX 1060 6 GB
DDR4 16 GB 2400 MHz
SSD 480 GB; 520 MiB/s Read | 425 MiB/s Write
zsnes (btw i'm too stupid to learn the name of the emulator) will have pretty big frame rate drops on Super Mario World.

I've read something about V-Sync and x channel, but I can't find the settings for either.
nintendo_nerd
Sir Robin the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot

Re: Getting frame rate drops in zsnes (btw i'm too stupid to

Post by nintendo_nerd »

Have you considered Snes9x? Version 1.54 was released a few days back and is better than ever before.
"Just because I don't LISTEN doesn't mean I don't CARE!" -Homer Simpson
Stillmatic

Post by Stillmatic »

nintendo_nerd wrote:Have you considered Snes9x? Version 1.54 was released a few days back and is better than ever before.
Do you know what games have been fixed or improved? Is there a compatibility list for Snes9x?
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Stillmatic wrote:
nintendo_nerd wrote:Have you considered Snes9x? Version 1.54 was released a few days back and is better than ever before.
Do you know what games have been fixed or improved? Is there a compatibility list for Snes9x?
Compatibility list is, as with the other major Super Nintendo emulators, "almost everything".

It should actually see better compatibility than ZSNES.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
Stillmatic

Post by Stillmatic »

Gil_Hamilton wrote: Compatibility list is, as with the other major Super Nintendo emulators, "almost everything".

Well they say on the Snes9x forum that you should use bsnes for games like Super Punch Out and Speedy Gonzales etc. I believe the problems with these roms have been known for a long time, this is why I ask, I mean if these games still can't be fixed it makes me wonder which games they have improved on the latest version.

Is there not a compatibility list for ZSNES as well? This is also a major snes emulator but I've read it has problems with lots of games...it would be good to know which games can't be completed.
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

With ZSNES, it's more along the lines of, "Which emulation features will require a complete and total rewrite of the emulator?"

It takes so many shortcuts, they cannot easily be counted off. Here are the ones I can remember off hand:

1) 5A22 <-> SPC700 opcodes are executed in an opcode to opcode ratio, rather than relative to how long each instruction takes to run. It's a miracle so many games even work with this poor timing. Then again, the two parts were designed to work asynchronously.

2) VRAM is writable outside of VBLANK, which means you can write to it while the PPU is rendering. Several bad game hacks take advantage of this, and pass off poorly constrained "real hardware" versions that are usually not even optimized and end up running poorly compared to the version that just happens to run in ZSNES.

3) SPC700 / DSP does not use actual SPC RAM for the echo buffer, since it also supports simulating sound at higher or lower sample rates than the console native. Lots of Super Mario World hacks take advantage of this by writing samples and even code in places in the SPC RAM that would be instantly clobbered on a real console.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Stillmatic wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote: Compatibility list is, as with the other major Super Nintendo emulators, "almost everything".

Well they say on the Snes9x forum that you should use bsnes for games like Super Punch Out and Speedy Gonzales etc. I believe the problems with these roms have been known for a long time, this is why I ask, I mean if these games still can't be fixed it makes me wonder which games they have improved on the latest version.

Is there not a compatibility list for ZSNES as well? This is also a major snes emulator but I've read it has problems with lots of games...it would be good to know which games can't be completed.
Hence the "almost".

The main fix in the new release is "Changed the S-SMP core module to one written by byuu. This has the effect of increased accuracy, fewer speed hacks, but also regresses a few speed-hack games"
If I recall, this should be a major benefit for Earthworm Jim.

I do not believe SNES9x has ZSNES' problems with the SA-1 coprocessor.

Punchout and Speedy Gonzalez have exotic issues that require a major emulation overhaul to fix.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
KHDownloads
Stillmatic

Post by Stillmatic »

Gil_Hamilton wrote: If I recall, this should be a major benefit for Earthworm Jim.
I see, I thought the Earthworm Jim games were meant to work ok on Snes9x. I read though that one of them lacks sound on ZSNES.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Stillmatic wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote: If I recall, this should be a major benefit for Earthworm Jim.
I see, I thought the Earthworm Jim games were meant to work ok on Snes9x. I read though that one of them lacks sound on ZSNES.
I may be wrong. Hence the "if I recall", since I'm not sure.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads