Running ZSNES On Android

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Startropic1

Running ZSNES On Android

Post by Startropic1 »

I know this topic has been broached before, but this is not a "zsnes 4 android plzkthxbai!!11" thread. This is a discussion on how to make things work. (Hence "running" in the subject, and not specifically "port")

Firstly, I've seen mentioned in other threads that doing an android port would be extremely difficult. Despite this, there is already a Linux port, and essentially Android IS Linux. So why not use that port as the basis for an android port?

That aside, let's say an android port is impossible and will never come to exist. While a direct port would obviously be the optimal way to play zsnes (btw i'm too stupid to learn the name of the emulator) on android, it is by no means the only option. ZSNES was originally designed to run on computers with significantly inferior specs to the average android device in 2017. As such, there is enough of a gap that we could simply emulate the type of hardware ZSNES requires. Ie. simply design a loader to run ZSNES on android by either interpolating between the hardware in an android device and the hardware ZSNES is looking for, or through a shell of Windows, DOS, or Linux.

Using a shell is a method that just about any user can go with right now. There's already a port of DosBox for android, so you can just run the DOS version of ZSNES on android with that. Currently there are old DOS games available on Steam, (and probably other sources), that are packed with a DOSBox loader that the developers setup to automatically run the game through DosBox when you click the game's shortcut. All it takes to set this up is a little batch macro.

These other options are certainly inefficient compared to a direct port, (particularly the option of using shells), but I believe there's enough horsepower in today's android devices to still run ZSNES smoothly this way.
odditude
Official tech support dood

Re: Running ZSNES On Android

Post by odditude »

...but why? i can't think of a single practical purpose for this - only for novelty reasons.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Startropic1 wrote:I know this topic has been broached before, but this is not a "zsnes 4 android plzkthxbai!!11" thread. This is a discussion on how to make things work. (Hence "running" in the subject, and not specifically "port")

Firstly, I've seen mentioned in other threads that doing an android port would be extremely difficult. Despite this, there is already a Linux port, and essentially Android IS Linux. So why not use that port as the basis for an android port?
Because the Linux version still requires an x86 processor. It won't run on Linux for ARM, PowerPC, SPARC, or any other processor.
ZSNES contains large swaths of non-portable assembly code that only works on x86 processors. Very few phones contain such parts. THAT is the problem.

That aside, let's say an android port is impossible and will never come to exist. While a direct port would obviously be the optimal way to play zsnes (btw i'm too stupid to learn the name of the emulator) on android, it is by no means the only option. ZSNES was originally designed to run on computers with significantly inferior specs to the average android device in 2017. As such, there is enough of a gap that we could simply emulate the type of hardware ZSNES requires. Ie. simply design a loader to run ZSNES on android by either interpolating between the hardware in an android device and the hardware ZSNES is looking for, or through a shell of Windows, DOS, or Linux.

Using a shell is a method that just about any user can go with right now. There's already a port of DosBox for android, so you can just run the DOS version of ZSNES on android with that. Currently there are old DOS games available on Steam, (and probably other sources), that are packed with a DOSBox loader that the developers setup to automatically run the game through DosBox when you click the game's shortcut. All it takes to set this up is a little batch macro.

These other options are certainly inefficient compared to a direct port, (particularly the option of using shells), but I believe there's enough horsepower in today's android devices to still run ZSNES smoothly this way.
Yes, you could run ZSNES through DOSBox, but... why not run an actual Android-based Super Nintendo emulator instead? Less complexity, better battery life, and no jumping through hoops.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
Startropic1

Post by Startropic1 »

Gil_Hamilton wrote: Yes, you could run ZSNES through DOSBox, but... why not run an actual Android-based Super Nintendo emulator instead? Less complexity, better battery life, and no jumping through hoops.
ZSNES has the highest percentage of game compatibility. Snes9x comes pretty close, and does have an android port, but it's still a bit short of ZSNES.
nintendo_nerd
Sir Robin the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot

Post by nintendo_nerd »

Startropic1 wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote: Yes, you could run ZSNES through DOSBox, but... why not run an actual Android-based Super Nintendo emulator instead? Less complexity, better battery life, and no jumping through hoops.
ZSNES has the highest percentage of game compatibility. Snes9x comes pretty close, and does have an android port, but it's still a bit short of ZSNES.
Wrong. Snes9x has the higher compatibility, not sure where you got that information from. Snes9x is second only to Higan in terms of no. of games launched, Zsnes is dead last. But okay. Not sure
where you've been, but Zsnes is ten years old, Snes9x 1.54.1 is only two months old, and has Byuu's S-SMP/DSP core, I think you got that backwards.
"Just because I don't LISTEN doesn't mean I don't CARE!" -Homer Simpson
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

What he said. ZSNES and SNES9x used to be neck and neck, but time moves on. At this point ZSNES is like NESticle: recommended based on info several years outta date.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
KHDownloads
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:What he said. ZSNES and SNES9x used to be neck and neck, but time moves on. At this point ZSNES is like NESticle: recommended based on info several years outta date.
I've done many empirical tests to prove how superior Snes9x but people hold on to Zsnes like Internet Explorer 6; ambiguous, popular, but horrendously outdated.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

nintendo_nerd wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:What he said. ZSNES and SNES9x used to be neck and neck, but time moves on. At this point ZSNES is like NESticle: recommended based on info several years outta date.
I've done many empirical tests to prove how superior Snes9x but people hold on to Zsnes like Internet Explorer 6; ambiguous, popular, but horrendously outdated.
ZSNES is still my favorite. It isn't what I use to run games usually, but I like it best.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
odditude

Post by odditude »

Gil_Hamilton wrote: ZSNES is still my favorite. It isn't what I use to run games usually, but I like it best.
agreed on both counts.
joe_devore
Regular

Post by joe_devore »

odditude wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote: ZSNES is still my favorite. It isn't what I use to run games usually, but I like it best.
agreed on both counts.
me too I only use ZSNES to play SNES games these days... I haven't bothered to setup my actual SNES anymore it just sits in an old box collecting dust loi :wink:
(PC Specs)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus PRIME X570-PRO
GPU: nVidia/EVGA RTX 3070 Ti 8GB
GFX Drivers: Nvidia v551.76
RAM: 32GB, 2x G.Skill 16GB DDR4

Favorite Emulators:
PS2(x64): PCSX2 (Downloads)
SNES : ZSNES
N64 : Project64

ZSNES:
v1.51 (FuSoYa's 8MB fix R2)(Compiled Myself)
odditude

Post by odditude »

joe_devore wrote:
odditude wrote:
agreed on both counts.
me too I only use ZSNES to play SNES games these days... I haven't bothered to setup my actual SNES anymore it just sits in an old box collecting dust loi :wink:
...that is not what either Gil or I said.
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:
nintendo_nerd wrote:
ZSNES is still my favorite. It isn't what I use to run games usually, but I like it best.
Your poor ears and the inaccurate sound tho, my condolences :mrgreen:
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

nintendo_nerd wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:
nintendo_nerd wrote:
"It isn't what I use to run games usually"
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:
nintendo_nerd wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:
nintendo_nerd wrote:
"It isn't what I use to run games usually"
I still find it funny that people think it's better than Snes9x XD.
joe_devore
Regular

Post by joe_devore »

nintendo_nerd wrote: I still find it funny that people think it's better than Snes9x XD.
I find I really don't like Snes9x... just opening it was enough to steal some file extensions... and I have not been able to edit and remove them...
I use a program called Types to edit file type associations...
http://ystr.github.io/apps/types/

ZSNES forever :mrgreen: loi :wink:
(PC Specs)

Favorite Emulators:

ZSNES:
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

joe_devore wrote:
nintendo_nerd wrote: I still find it funny that people think it's better than Snes9x XD.
I find I really don't like Snes9x... just opening it was enough to steal some file extensions... and I have not been able to edit and remove them...
I use a program called Types to edit file type associations...
http://ystr.github.io/apps/types/

ZSNES forever :mrgreen: loi :wink:
You can fix file associations in Windows 7 easily. Good luck playing Earthworm Jim 2 with sound effects, which are completely missing.
Or ZMZ, Snes9x core running in a Zsnes GUI.

But who am I kidding, I never convinced anyone before, no point in me trying to show my side over here.
joe_devore
Regular

Post by joe_devore »

nintendo_nerd wrote: You can fix file associations in Windows 7 easily. Good luck playing Earthworm Jim 2 with sound effects, which are completely missing.

But who am I kidding, I never convinced anyone before, no point in me trying to show my side over here.
SNES9X.. should be avoided like the plague! :evil:
as there does not appear as anyway to reverse what SNES9X has done...
short of manually hacking the registry one type at a time...
(PC Specs)

Favorite Emulators:

ZSNES:
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

Not like anything can magically change your system-wide associations... on Windows Vista and above, if you have UAC enabled. Per-user associations may still be meddled with on up to 8.1. On Windows 10, nothing can meddle with associations directly, only announce an intent to support specific formats, and let the user decide the first time they open a particular extension.
odditude

Post by odditude »

joe_devore wrote:
nintendo_nerd wrote: You can fix file associations in Windows 7 easily. Good luck playing Earthworm Jim 2 with sound effects, which are completely missing.

that issue was fixed years ago in the testbuilds, and is not present in the current official release.
joe_devore
Regular

Post by joe_devore »

odditude wrote:
joe_devore wrote:

that issue was fixed years ago in the testbuilds, and is not present in the current official release.
:evil: :lol: yeah it is... I always keep my files up to date, so I have the latest SNES9X files v1.54.1 x86 and x64 files even though I don't use them loi.. both do it..
(PC Specs)

Favorite Emulators:

ZSNES:
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

joe_devore wrote:
odditude wrote:
joe_devore wrote:

:evil: :lol: yeah it is... I always keep my files up to date, so I have the latest SNES9X files v1.54.1 x86 and x64 files even though I don't use them loi.. both do it..
Funny, that doesn't happen on my end using Windows 7. You must be doing something wrong on your end, and for the record, Zsnes can't
even run Earthworm Jim 2 with sound effects, Star Ocean runs too fast, there's no hi-res mode 7 transparencies and also that it's not really
supported lol

http://emulation-general.wikia.com/wiki/ZSNES

Square Enix games still sound like garbage on Zsnes :lol: Blargg's S-SMP (sound core) is cycle accurate 1:1 to real hardware.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbgXNx2q4ic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jq7_6R_cvgw
joe_devore
Regular

Post by joe_devore »

nintendo_nerd wrote:
joe_devore wrote:
odditude wrote:
joe_devore wrote:

Funny, that doesn't happen on my end using Windows 7. You must be doing something wrong on your end, and for the record, Zsnes can't
even run Earthworm Jim 2 with sound effects, Star Ocean runs too fast, there's no hi-res mode 7 transparencies and also that it's not really
supported lol

http://emulation-general.wikia.com/wiki/ZSNES

Square Enix games still sound like garbage on Zsnes :lol: Blargg's S-SMP (sound core) is cycle accurate 1:1 to real hardware.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbgXNx2q4ic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jq7_6R_cvgw
lol... ok if u say so

but uh all I had to do was open/run SNES9X and that changed the file types associations...
(PC Specs)

Favorite Emulators:

ZSNES:
odditude

Post by odditude »

nintendo_nerd wrote:
joe_devore wrote:
odditude wrote:
joe_devore wrote:

Funny, that doesn't happen on my end using Windows 7. You must be doing something wrong on your end [snip]
no, it was a documented issue in snes9x. snes9x uses a text file (Valid.ext) to define the file filters it uses in the ROM load dialog, a list which includes file with no extension.

unfortunately, snes9x also attempted to register itself as the default handler for all such filetypes. such ill-advised behavior has since been changed.
joe_devore
Regular

Post by joe_devore »

this is what I found in the vaild.ext file
  • N
    smcN
    zipY
    gzY
    swcN
    figN
    058N
    078N
    japN
    usaN
    048N
    eurN
    sfcN
    1N
    mgdN
    ufoN
    binN
    gd3N
    mghN
    gd7N
    ausN
    dx2N
    aN
    jmaY
what a bother.... u mentioned it since been changed... no not as far as I can tell... that last version v1.54.1 still does it at least for me it seems to be the case... or I in what way has it been changed?
(PC Specs)

Favorite Emulators:

ZSNES:
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

joe_devore wrote:this is what I found in the vaild.ext file
  • N
    smcN
    zipY
    gzY
    swcN
    figN
    058N
    078N
    japN
    usaN
    048N
    eurN
    sfcN
    1N
    mgdN
    ufoN
    binN
    gd3N
    mghN
    gd7N
    ausN
    dx2N
    aN
    jmaY
what a bother.... u mentioned it since been changed... no not as far as I can tell... that last version v1.54.1 still does it at least for me it seems to be the case... or I in what way has it been changed?
Or use this http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/remov ... windows-7/ and remove the associated program with the file types. It doesn't do that by default, it was something you did on your end.