ipherswipsite.com - no Linux WIP's

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

user222
Rookie

ipherswipsite.com - no Linux WIP's

Post by user222 »

How come there are no binaries for Linux, only for DOS and Windows at [ipherswipsite.com]?
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Because ipher doesn't use Linux in any way shape or form.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by adventure_of_link »

Like with 98% of Linux software, you must compile it from source.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
SquareHead
Veteran

Post by SquareHead »

To build on link's reply, the reason you must compile zsnes from source in linux, is because rarely are any linux systems exactly the same. A binary compiled for system a may not work on system b. A binary compiled for system c may not work on a, b, or d. Basically it would be a waste of time and resources to compile a binary since it may or may not work for most people. Then theyd have to deal with complaints like zsnes not working, can somebody build it for me? Complaint question etc... ...

Sorry for the long-winded reply, hope this helps.
ipher
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Re: ipherswipsite.com - no Linux WIP's

Post by ipher »

user222 wrote:How come there are no binaries for Linux, only for DOS and Windows at [ipherswipsite.com]?
You're lucky the Source is compatible with Linux (it wasn't for long time). I figure that if you can learn to use Linux, you can learn how to compile and use CVS.
[url=http://www.ipherswipsite.com]ipher's WIP Site[/url]
wertigon
Rookie

Post by wertigon »

SquareHead wrote:
To build on link's reply, the reason you must compile zsnes from source in linux, is because rarely are any linux systems exactly the same. A binary compiled for system a may not work on system b. A binary compiled for system c may not work on a, b, or d. Basically it would be a waste of time and resources to compile a binary since it may or may not work for most people. Then theyd have to deal with complaints like zsnes not working, can somebody build it for me? Complaint question etc... ...

To expand on this, the general mentality when it comes to Linux is that it's not up to the application developers to make binary packages, rather that task is given to the distro makers. Debian is the best example of this; they maintain a huge database of about 18 000 packages, which is about the largest binary repository of Linux software you can find today. So, if you want binary packages, turn to your distro maker.

If you run Debian (or a Debian-derivate such as Lindows, Xandros, Ubuntu, Knoppix et. all), v1.40 is the most recent one, just use "aptitude install zsnes" and you're done. If you run a Debian-derivate you may have to add a repository however...
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Uhh... wertigon, Lindows got its name changed to Linspire. I'm just trying to brush off some confusion, that's all.
PS: Linspire sucks, you'd need a ~800MHz CPU to run it, which made N64 emulation and PSOne emulation shitty, IMO.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
bztunk
Hazed

Post by bztunk »

SquareHead wrote:

huh....

There's binary compatibility in Linux, you know... Try Real Player or Acrobat Reader for exemple...

Using static libraries is one way.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Nach wrote:Because ipher doesn't use Linux in any way shape or form.
OK then, how come once I saw a link in ipher's web site with a Linux build, IIRC the file name was ZSNES_LRC1.tar.bz.. :?
NSRT here.
ipher
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by ipher »

adventure_of_link wrote:
Nach wrote:Because ipher doesn't use Linux in any way shape or form.
OK then, how come once I saw a link in ipher's web site with a Linux build, IIRC the file name was ZSNES_LRC1.tar.bz.. :?
Nach made that, to see how well linux binaries would work.
[url=http://www.ipherswipsite.com]ipher's WIP Site[/url]
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

In that case..
ipher: Alright, thanks man, didn't know.
Nach: Your project to do that was a dud. I tried getting it to work on Linspire, kept giving me errors. I tried clicking it, nothing. Tried to load it from the file browser's execute shell command option, nothing. Tried loading it like you do with Snes9X (./snes9x <insert random ROM name here>), nothing.
I guess compiliing from source is the best way to do things.. sadly you don't get those tools on Linspire, I once tried to complie WINE and ZSnes, wouldn't do it, I needed a C++ editor to compile WINE, I forgot what I was missing to compile ZSnes... :cry:
NSRT here.
SquareHead
Veteran

Post by SquareHead »

bztunk wrote:
There's binary compatibility in Linux, you know... Try Real Player or Acrobat Reader for exemple...

Arent they trying to standardize Linux distros in some way as well?
Noxious Ninja
Dark Wind

Post by Noxious Ninja »

[u][url=http://bash.org/?577451]#577451[/url][/u]
Aerdan
Winter Knight

Post by Aerdan »

SquareHead wrote:
bztunk wrote:

Most linux distributions already use a semi-standard hierarchy of directories. Certain distributions [Debian and most Debian-based] go above and beyond that and do Weird Things(tm) to Perl and some other stuff.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

adventure_of_link wrote: Nach: Your project to do that was a dud. I tried getting it to work on Linspire, kept giving me errors. I tried clicking it, nothing. Tried to load it from the file browser's execute shell command option, nothing. Tried loading it like you do with Snes9X (./snes9x <insert random ROM name here>), nothing.
Did you decompress it and make sure it had the executable bit set?
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

If by decompress, you mean extract the ZSnes exceutable from its tar.bz distribution, then yes I did.
I didn't know I had to set an executable bit.. Linspire automatically detected it as an executable.. the file was just called zsnes .
How do you set the executable bit?
PS: My ZSnes Linux was ~2.8MB
NSRT here.
Noxious Ninja
Dark Wind

Post by Noxious Ninja »

chmod +x file
bztunk
Hazed

Post by bztunk »

SquareHead wrote:
bztunk wrote:

If you're talking about package distribution, nothing serious yet.

It doesn't matter what the number of distributions is, compatibility is still possible.
Noxious Ninja
Dark Wind

Post by Noxious Ninja »

bztunk wrote:Arent they trying to standardize Linux distros in some way as well?
If you're talking about package distribution, nothing serious yet.[/quote]

There's autopackage, which I posted above. I'd say they are very serious.
byuu

Post by byuu »

There's autopackage, which I posted above. I'd say they are very serious.
There are lots of 'serious standards' in Linux. In fact, there are too many. Everyone wants their idea to be the universal one, and you end up with stuff like 40 media players, 20 web browsers, 5 office suites, 200 window managers, 8 GUI toolkits, 12 packaging systems... people can't even agree to be consistent with copy/paste vs. middle click. But, hopefully autopackage catches on. Perhaps if it makes it into LSB or freedesktop or whatever, it will. It'd be nice if they could add my distro to their tool (FreeBSD) assuming it catches on, but eh. I'm happy with ports I guess.
Noxious Ninja
Dark Wind

Post by Noxious Ninja »

Well, their next phase is to integrate with native package systems, so that should remove any reason for casual programs to not use it. It's too bad GCC changed the ABI again with 3.4; it had better stay stable for the next five years, at least.

I would like to see something like "the official KDE operating system", but maybe that's just me.
bztunk
Hazed

Post by bztunk »

Noxious Ninja wrote:There's autopackage, which I posted above. I'd say they are very serious.
I'm pretty sure they are, and I've seen some upstream developpers offering these packages, but I don't think Red Hat or Debian will switch soon.
Noxious Ninja
Dark Wind

Post by Noxious Ninja »

Autopackage isn't meant to be a replacement for the core package system, just distributed apps. Things like KDE will still be installed via RPM or portage or what have you.
awk

Debian packages

Post by awk »

In case it is useful to someone, I have posted some Debian i386 binary packages of Zsnes versions greater than 1.40 on my site. They're experimental at this stage as I'm fairly new to Debian package creation and they've only been tested on my own system (SimplyMepis 3.3).
bztunk
Hazed

Re: Debian packages

Post by bztunk »

awk wrote:In case it is useful to someone, I have posted some Debian i386 binary packages of Zsnes versions greater than 1.40 on my site. They're experimental at this stage as I'm fairly new to Debian package creation and they've only been tested on my own system (SimplyMepis 3.3).
I already did a 1.43 package :)

But oh well, maybe yours are better :)

AND WTF THREAD RESSURECTION!