ZSNES 1.42 not optimized?

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

What evar
Rookie

ZSNES 1.42 not optimized?

Post by What evar »

Because of some issues with my controller, it is borderline impossible for me to use ZSNES without it being optimized. I've been told several times that the next official build (which is finally here! YES!) would "probably" be optimized, but it obviously isn't.
Now my question is how would I download the source and compile it myself so that it would be optimized?
Oblivion
What?

Post by Oblivion »

On my other, significantly old computer, Zsnes 1.42 runs faster than the latest WIP, and I've heard that there have been speed improvements of late. I'm not one to give directions on using CVS, though, so I'm sure someone else will comment on that.
Everything I say is a lie.
What evar
Rookie

Post by What evar »

I'm not currently using the latest WIP, I'm using an old WIP that was optimized. (May 25 2004)
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

I'm willing to bet that this problem is on your end and not the issue of Zsnes "not being optimized" what's the problem with your controller?
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
What evar
Rookie

Post by What evar »

Look, I'm 100% sure that it's because of it not being optimized. Every single build of ZSNES, every single WIP is incredibly slow for me. (And when I say incredibly slow, I mean five minutes to load a save state sometimes. It's not very fun) And it's not my specs, I have a 2ghz processor and 512mb of RAM.

That optimized WIP works PERFECTLY, no wait to start ZSNES, no wait to load, no wait for anything.
The thing is, I have no idea what the problem with my controller is. It's a PSX controller hooked up to my PC via a Rockfire USB converter. It seems to only cause trouble with ZSNES.

Anyway, I know I can compile it in some special way that takes 30 minutes or something (A dev specifically told me this on the forum months ago) so that it will run faster. All I'm asking is how I should do this.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

All official builds are optimized using the insane method that takes half an hour to compile.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Anyway, I know I can compile it in some special way that takes 30 minutes or something (A dev specifically told me this on the forum months ago) so that it will run faster. All I'm asking is how I should do this.
You may want to look at your profile, there is something that lets you view your old posts... in one of the old posts... one of the devs have responded... so you need to check it out.
(And when I say incredibly slow, I mean five minutes to load a save state sometimes. It's not very fun) And it's not my specs, I have a 2ghz processor and 512mb of RAM.
Well, it probably isn't your comp.. but I'm willing to bet you haven't deleted the .cfg and .dat files that get generated by ZSNES...

When some of the newer builds try to read older versions of ZSNES .cfg/.dat files, it tends to cause really nasty performance problems and/or compatibility issues.
What evar
Rookie

Post by What evar »

Woah, thank you very much, Deathlike. That was actually it! It would never have occurred to me that it was the .dat and .cfg files.
Well, at least I know that this version of ZSNES works well with my controller.
But just so you know: On 1.36 I actually tried taking out the controller from the USB port, and then it worked fine, so there's some issue with that for sure. Doesn't matter now, though, since it works perfectly.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

No prob... you need to repeat this operation on any newer version (or older) of ZSNES. This should work with essentially ANY version (WIPs or official builds).
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Nach wrote:All official builds are optimized using the insane method that takes half an hour to compile.
It's only insane because of newgfx16.asm being insane in the first place... :twisted:
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
daft
Rookie

Post by daft »

Maybe this would be asking too much, but I think updated zsnes builds should correctly work with older .dat/.cfgs.

Future builds could either automatically update the less compatible settings with the newer ones (upon notification), or if that's too complicated, at the least, have some "Reset Configuration" option somewhere.

While it's clear deleting .cfg and .dat files accomplishes the same thing, 90% of zsnes users would have no clue to do this.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Maybe this would be asking too much, but I think updated zsnes builds should correctly work with older .dat/.cfgs.

Future builds could either automatically update the less compatible settings with the newer ones (upon notification), or if that's too complicated, at the least, have some "Reset Configuration" option somewhere.
That's too much unneeded work.. though the reset config wouldn't hurt though...
While it's clear deleting .cfg and .dat files accomplishes the same thing, 90% of zsnes users would have no clue to do this.
It'll be in the documentation in the next official version..
Last edited by Deathlike2 on Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

daft wrote:While it's clear deleting .cfg and .dat files accomplishes the same thing, 90% of zsnes users would have no clue to do this.
Ah... Is it too hard to click on an icon, right click for the menu and then just choose delete? is not like they have to do it via DOS commands or anything. :roll:

Edit.- Unless they are using DOS (Which it's still a possibility) or Linux (That I don't now about, so it MIGHT be different) but I think those users might be really aware of how it works anyway.
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
daft
Rookie

Post by daft »

Joe Camacho wrote: Ah... Is it too hard to click on an icon, right click for the menu and then just choose delete? is not like they have to do it via DOS commands or anything. :roll:
Never overestimate the average computer user. That's all I'm going to say.
Joe Camacho wrote: It'll be in the documentation in the next official version..
Again, I'm not expecting the "average" zsnes user to bother reading through documentation, although it wouldn't hurt to add though.

Still think something inside the program itself should be done.
Jipcy
Veteran

Post by Jipcy »

ZSNES already checks the existence or non-existence of config and dat files. If they don't exist, it creates them. So maybe code could be added in there somewhere:

1. Config file exists?
2. No? Create files. Yes? What version of zsnes created these files?
3. No version number, or version number not current? Files are too old. Notify user to either clear all entries or continue to use config at user's own risk.
3. Version number is the same as current program? Continue with no notification.

In other words, add version numbers to the config/dat files, so that ZSNES knows what its dealing with.
[url=http://zsnes-docs.sf.net]Official ZSNES Docs[/url] | [url=http://zsnes-docs.sf.net/nsrt]NSRT Guide[/url] | [url=http://endoftransmission.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=394]Using a Wiimote w/ emulators[/url]
Jipcy
Veteran

Post by Jipcy »

Joe Camacho wrote:Ah... Is it too hard to click on an icon, right click for the menu and then just choose delete? is not like they have to do it via DOS commands or anything. :roll:
The action is not difficult. It's that the user may not know it's necessary.
[url=http://zsnes-docs.sf.net]Official ZSNES Docs[/url] | [url=http://zsnes-docs.sf.net/nsrt]NSRT Guide[/url] | [url=http://endoftransmission.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=394]Using a Wiimote w/ emulators[/url]
Starman Ghost
Trooper

Post by Starman Ghost »

What they should do is have a version flag in both the cfg and dat files and upon running zsnes it checks to see if the files are for this version. If not it tells the user and deletes them.
[code]<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what sucks?
<TheXPhial> vaccuums
<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what sucks in a metaphorical sense?
<TheXPhial> black holes
<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what just isn't cool?
<TheXPhial> lava?[/code]
ipher
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by ipher »

The thing is, you don't have to delete the cfg files after every release. I keep my config files until ZSNES doesn't work right anymore.
[url=http://www.ipherswipsite.com]ipher's WIP Site[/url]
Lord Alpha
Lurker

Post by Lord Alpha »

ipher wrote:The thing is, you don't have to delete the cfg files after every release. I keep my config files until ZSNES doesn't work right anymore.
Me too. Which isn't very damned often.
It is better to be silent and thought a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt

I am Zophar, Master of Sh*t!

[url=http://archlyn.bravejournal.com]View my blog[/url]
pagefault
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by pagefault »

I would recommend deleting the config files after every release though.
ieremiou
Rookie

Post by ieremiou »

pagefault wrote:I would recommend deleting the config files after every release though.
I recommend this too cause between the 1.41 and 1.42 release I had the worse time forcing ZSNES to save the stupid dir for SRAMs and everything lol. It was fixed by deleting my config file since the settings changed a number times before 1.42 was released.

I build WIPS releasegrade style (I also build with CPU=pentium4 cause that's my chip) since I have no reason not to and it doesn't slow my computer down any bit even if my CPU tops out lol.

/Ieremiou
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

pagefault wrote:I would recommend deleting the config files after every release though.
This is a definite recommendation.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
What evar
Rookie

Post by What evar »

At least add it to the FAQ.
I've been using ZSNES for years, and I had no idea AT ALL that deleting the .cfg and .dat files could make such an immense difference.
AspiringSquire
Born to Rule... Impatiently

Post by AspiringSquire »

What evar wrote:At least add it to the FAQ.
I've been using ZSNES for years, and I had no idea AT ALL that deleting the .cfg and .dat files could make such an immense difference.
It was added to the FAQ after the release of 1.42. You'll see it when 1.43 is released. :)
[url=http://board.zsnes.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3298][color=brown]My [u]NES palette[/u][/color][/url] - better colors with any emulator.

"the more you know, and the more you can do... the more you are."
- [url=http://www.danielbohman.com][color=brown][u]daniel bohman[/u][/color][/url]
daft
Rookie

Post by daft »

Cool, any word on whether a "Reset Settings" option will be implemented into ZSNES?