Transferring saves, help GREATLY appreciated!

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Leptorz

Transferring saves, help GREATLY appreciated!

Post by Leptorz »

Im a newb (duh) and im still not too educated with how to use the zsnes, but the problem im having right now is that im trying to transfer an existing save file from an older version of the zsnes to the new 4.2 version, and i have absolutley no clue how to do so :P. Ive looked through the site and i can't find anything (probably missed it) so some help would be great. Thanks!
Noxious Ninja
Dark Wind

Post by Noxious Ninja »

First, start a new game with the new version of ZSNES, to see where it puts your saves. Now, search your PC for any .srm, .zst, and .zs1 - .zs9 files. Move these to the place where the new files get put.
[u][url=http://bash.org/?577451]#577451[/url][/u]
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

If you are transferring files from the Dos version of Zsnes to the windows version of zsnes, you will have to change the name of the .zst and .srm files for each game, for example:

gameII.smc <- rom

gam~1.zst and gam~1.srm <- those are savestates and the ingame save on Zsnes Dos version. In order to load them in Zsnes' windows version, you have to rename them to:

gameII.zst and gameII.srm
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
Leptorz

Post by Leptorz »

ok, in the new zsnes i started a new game, then went to paths, and copied down the link next to where it says 'saves:'. Then i went to the search thing in windows, typed out the link, and once there i found a .srm of the old final fantasy 3 file that im trying to transfer, so then i went to where its sending the 'saves' and deleted the .srm file, and replaced it with the older one that i was trying to transfer originally. Where exactly did i go wrong?
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

Leptorz wrote:ok, in the new zsnes i started a new game, then went to paths, and copied down the link next to where it says 'saves:'. Then i went to the search thing in windows, typed out the link, and once there i found a .srm of the old final fantasy 3 file that im trying to transfer, so then i went to where its sending the 'saves' and deleted the .srm file, and replaced it with the older one that i was trying to transfer originally. Where exactly did i go wrong?
Could you be more clear? Maybe put numbers on your steps? By trying to read that, looks like you copied the srm file from the new zsnes, not the old one.
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
daft
Rookie

Post by daft »

Is the .SRM in the same directory as Final Fantasy 3?