Keeping refresh rate at 60 Hertz in full screen

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Yoshiyuki Blade
Rookie

Keeping refresh rate at 60 Hertz in full screen

Post by Yoshiyuki Blade »

I just got a new, high-end CRT monitor recently, so I've kept the monitor's refresh rate at 85 Hertz (since its easier on the eyes). However, I discovered that ZSNES wouldn't be able to display the game smoothly because of the change in the refresh rate, and looks best at 60 Hertz. (I've read somewhere on this forum that it has direct relavance to the FPS of games)

How about an option to change the monitor's refresh rate to 60 Hertz (or other rates for games with different max FPS) at full screen to resolve this issue?
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

Start ZSNES with the parameter "-6" and see if that helps. The easiest way in Windows to do that is to create a link, and change the "target" line to
"path\zsnesw.exe" -6
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Or just use Triple buffering without VSync. I never had any tearing and my monitor is at 85Hz refresh too.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Mark7
Hazed

Post by Mark7 »

Maybe your monitor can handle 120hz at lower resolutions too. That refreshrate should be smooth too... i don't know what version of zsnes you need for this though.
Yoshiyuki Blade
Rookie

creaothceann wrote:Start ZSNES with the parameter "-6" and see if that helps. The easiest way in Windows to do that is to create a link, and change the "target" line to
"path\zsnesw.exe" -6
Thanks, creaothceann. That seemed to resolve this issue.
grinvader wrote:Or just use Triple buffering without VSync. I never had any tearing and my monitor is at 85Hz refresh too.
Well, there wasn't any tearing in the game. It seemed to be "jumpy", although running at 60 FPS. I did a little bit of experimenting with the refresh rate, and found out that it looks best at 60 Hz.
Mark7 wrote:Maybe your monitor can handle 120hz at lower resolutions too. That refreshrate should be smooth too... i don't know what version of zsnes you need for this though.
Well, although it will be easy on the eyes at that refresh rate, it would defeat the purpose of not having to switch the resolutions back and forth just to use ZSNES. Thanks anyway.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't ZSnes be used "properly" at 120Hz, since it's a multiple of 60? :?
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Noxious Ninja
Dark Wind

Post by Noxious Ninja »

It's supposedly there, called KitchenSync. It's never worked for me, though.
[u][url=http://bash.org/?577451]#577451[/url][/u]
Yoshiyuki Blade
Rookie

adventure_of_link wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't ZSnes be used "properly" at 120Hz, since it's a multiple of 60? :?
Probably, but 120 Hz doesn't exist at high resolutions. I'm running on 1600x1200 @ 85 Hz now. I used to have it at 1280x1024 @ 60 Hz on my old monitor. This monitor can go up to a good 1920x1440 @ 72 Hz, but it's pretty impractical at this day and age.