New to programming Help!

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Shdwmarth

New to programming Help!

Post by Shdwmarth »

Is the zsnes for programming your own snes games as roms or is it something else?
zoink
Rookie

Post by zoink »

for runing ROM images, not making
Shdwmarth

Post by Shdwmarth »

What does it take to actually mod an existing snes game or make your own and how difficult is it?
MisterJones
Trooper

Post by MisterJones »

Learn the way 213507 assembler works, and then you will be a romhacking god among romhacking gods.
_-|-_
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Modifying an existing game (rom image) by hacking it is between relatively easy and relatively hard, depending on what you know about rom hacking (and since you made this topic, I'm assuming that you don't know much).

Creating a game from scratch is very difficult.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Shdwmarth

Post by Shdwmarth »

I have no programming experience yet but I do plan on buying books and downloading some basic programs to learn on soon. Also how hard is it to change something in a game? Like could I hack a Mortal Kombat rom for snes then change the characters to look like someone else from another game or show?
And How much time consumption does it take to just hack and change a few things like I mentioned above?
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

Graphics hacks are pretty easy unless they're encrypted of compressed. If they're just regular SNES tiles, there are graphics editors. Although, if you want completely new graphics, you may need to edit the palette which could be harder.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

Shdwmarth wrote:I have no programming experience yet but I do plan on buying books and downloading some basic programs to learn on soon. Also how hard is it to change something in a game? Like could I hack a Mortal Kombat rom for snes then change the characters to look like someone else from another game or show?
And How much time consumption does it take to just hack and change a few things like I mentioned above?
You don't necessarily need books. Try the archives at zophar.net, especially [snes] and [65816]. Use Google as well.
If you 'just' want to hack games, try sites and [boards] that deal with that.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

http://www.romhacking.com

They have plenty of tutorials and programs to help get you started there.

As far as time consumption.. Well.. some hacks can be done in a few hours. Other more complex hacks or language translations can take several years. So.. definitely variable in the time department and what your goals are in changing the game.

You could do a Mortal Kombat graphical hack, assuming the graphics are uncompressed, in a few hours or less. Being a noob though, it will take you longer because you will probaly take awhile just to locate the offset of the graphics you need and not understand how to use the utilities right away and what 1bp,2bp graphics are and such.
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.