SOrry for this maybe not smart question

Want to play with a friend over the net? Find out all the info you need on how to configure your PC, network and of course ZSNES. Also the correct place to find people to play with and what software they use.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

FP2

SOrry for this maybe not smart question

Post by FP2 »

I have an question is it possible to play Zsnes without zbattle.net over an LAN with two computers which are not connected with the internet.
If yes please tell me why
FP2

DOh!! I mean How

Post by FP2 »

sorry dont tell me why please tell me How
Bacon
Hazed

Post by Bacon »

Start up ZSnes on both PC's and go to netplay->internet

Have one computer "start as server"
(Write down the ip address on the machine starting as server)
Type in the ip into the ip address box into the other computer and click join game.

Hope you understand 8)
rlbond
Hazed

Post by rlbond »

and uncheck "use udp", that usually helps on a lan
To truly own, you must own at all games.
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

Next time, please read the documents that comes with ZSNES.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
FP2

A BIG BIG thanks to both of you

Post by FP2 »

YeaHHH!!! it works thousand thanks and sorry that i have to come with that question to this forum . Thanks again!!
Spirit_Uk

Post by Spirit_Uk »

Why would unchecking UDP help on a LAN? I'd like the techy explanation really, to be honest :P
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Why would unchecking UDP help on a LAN? I'd like the techy explanation really, to be honest
Well, if you know anything about TCP/UDP in networking, it breaks down simply like this:

1) TCP - guarentees reliable transmission
2) UDP - guarentees speed (however, it can be unreliable)

On a LAN, UDP shouldn't be a problem normally (especially in a closed LAN environment like 2 comps on a hub/switch)..

However, I will take a stab at it and stay that most likely it is related to the networking code... at the last few stages (before it was disabled) was that it was very good at all. Bad networking code can be hazardous to your health :wink: TCP is more reliable in this situation, but I'm not sure how good the networking code is even with TCP...

I'm pretty sure the devs are working on it, but when that will be done is "when it's done"
rlbond
Hazed

Post by rlbond »

The reason they recommend to use udp is it's faster because it doesn't require a connection to the other computer, and there's less overhead.

On a LAN that's not a problem, because the transfer speeds are very high (assuming it's an ethernet network). Thus it really doesn't make a difference, and for some reason when it doesn't make a difference, TCP just seems to work better. Plus, since it makes a connection, your switch (or router with a built in switch) should be able to prioritize the traffic.
Assuming it's cisco of course :)
To truly own, you must own at all games.
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

rlbond wrote:The reason they recommend to use udp is it's faster because it doesn't require a connection to the other computer, and there's less overhead.
UDP is faster because the you don't need to be recieving packets in the order they are sent.