Linking jma to zsnes

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Player1
Hazed

Linking jma to zsnes

Post by Player1 »

I read the post that someone don't know how to open a rom either it is packed with an unsupported format or he is to dump.

What I'm thinking of is that Zsnes shoult link files with jma extension to Zsnes, so if you double click start Zsnes and the game. Would it be possible that Zsnes asks if it should link jma to zsnes? It is pretty easy, but I'm asking for those who don't know how to do it.

And I think if it would be done it would help jma to a breakthrough.
Bacon
Hazed

Post by Bacon »

Sounds ok but i'm pretty sure some games don't load properly if you associate the file extension to zsnes, plus it's most likely that the majority of people like to run Zsnes first, because they can add command line arguments, etc. However your idea sounds pretty good if it was optional, for the people that DO want to be able to associate JMA to Zsnes, but if someone wanted to do that you can do it yourself in the file extension list (Windows explorer).
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Post by badinsults »

What if you were using JMA for nes games? That wouldn't work too well.
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome
Player1
Hazed

Post by Player1 »

I thought only Snes emulators would use jma, because NSRT only supports Snes Roms.

Bacon: I have assocoated jma to Zsnes and works fine. And If jma is associated to zsnes and need more options for the rom you simply start snes or just what you want, it doesn't interfere. I said that it is easy to do yourself, but if some people are to dump to start zsnes or use a rom can't do it.

Maybe you should at least explain in the documentation how to associate jma to zsnes
Magus`
Cap'n Gin | Admin

Post by Magus` »

How hard would it be to give a different suffix to SNES/NES, etc ROMs?

JMA > SMA for SNES
JMA > NMA for NES

(You can only have .xxx right and not .xxxx? I've never thought about that)
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

Magus` wrote:(You can only have .xxx right and not .xxxx? I've never thought about that)
There's .html and .jpeg. Appears to work fine, but then again there might be situations where it doesn't, as .htm and .jpg seem to be favoured most of the time.
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
Kagerato
Lurker

Post by Kagerato »

blackmyst wrote:There's .html and .jpeg. Appears to work fine, but then again there might be situations where it doesn't, as .htm and .jpg seem to be favoured most of the time.
Convention. Long filenames have allowed "expanded" extensions on Windows for quite a long time now. You may use "image.jointphotographicexpertsgroup" or "graphic.portablenetworkgraphics" if you like.

Microsoft has started to use longer filename extensions in recent years more frequently. For example, ".theme" and ".msstyles" are present for Windows XP. Until the general user base adopts them, though, we will still be suffering from extension collision.

If you ask me, acronyms should be avoided for clarity whenever reasonable. Many people do not even bother to expand/define their three or four letter acronyms, despite the relatively high risk of ambiguity (multiple meanings).

Unix-like systems are a completely different scenario concerning file extensions. An extension is usually pretty much meaningless; many programs don't pay them any heed. Files are generally scanned for actual content, which seems to me more intelligent or at least more useful.
rlbond
Hazed

Post by rlbond »

Player1 wrote:I read the post that someone don't know how to open a rom either it is packed with an unsupported format or he is to dump.

What I'm thinking of is that Zsnes shoult link files with jma extension to Zsnes, so if you double click start Zsnes and the game. Would it be possible that Zsnes asks if it should link jma to zsnes? It is pretty easy, but I'm asking for those who don't know how to do it.

And I think if it would be done it would help jma to a breakthrough.
Because you can't click "Load" in zsnes to load the rom, right?
Beacuse you can't go to folder options and set it yourself, right?
I don't see much use for this feature.
Kagerato wrote:Files are generally scanned for actual content, which seems to me more intelligent or at least more useful.
But with an extention, the user knows what kind of file it is.

For example, if I had a file called "birthday_party" it could be a picture or an essay I wrote for school.

And most programs can load files with unknown extentions as well. Notepad, word, winamp, the list goes on and on.
To truly own, you must own at all games.
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

I perfer how macs do it, and store the file-type with the file's meta data.
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

Magus` wrote:How hard would it be to give a different suffix to SNES/NES, etc ROMs?

JMA > SMA for SNES
JMA > NMA for NES

(You can only have .xxx right and not .xxxx? I've never thought about that)
You could, but I think Nach's purpose was another more superior compression format such as zip or rar. JMA can be used for ANYTHING.
So one extension does work for it. There is only one extention for zip and rar.
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
Player1
Hazed

Post by Player1 »

yes, but currently jma works only with snes roms and only one rom per jma file, please correct me if I am wrong.
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Post by badinsults »

I think that jma works on some other emulators.
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome
Richard C.
Lurker

Post by Richard C. »

iirc, jmas can have multiple files in one archive
Latest ZSNES release: [url=http://zsnes.ipherswipsite.com]ZSNES 11/12/06 WIP[/url]
Latest NSRT release: [url=http://nsrt.edgeemu.com/]NSRT 3.3 Final[/url]
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

Player1 wrote:yes, but currently jma works only with snes roms and only one rom per jma file, please correct me if I am wrong.
What does that matter? Future plans are to make a full fledged
standalone compressor. What would be the use then of making up special extensions when it's going to be a general purpose program?

Just because it only works on SNES ROMS because it's in the beginning stages still doesn't take away from the intended future use of the program.

I wonder what Nach has to say on this subject.
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
Kagerato
Lurker

Post by Kagerato »

Player1 wrote:yes, but currently jma works only with snes roms and only one rom per jma file, please correct me if I am wrong.
Both of these statements are inaccurate.

1.) As Nightcrawler mentioned, JMA is applicable to any data -- just as with any other compression format. It may prove most effective on SNES roms, but there is absolutely no evidence to suggest it should be limited to one category of data.

2.) It is, and I believe has been since the very beginning, possible to add multiple files to JMA-format archives.
Player1
Hazed

Post by Player1 »

I thought they are working on miltiple file jma files for the next version of NSRT, but I don't think its possible, if you know how it can be done please tell me. I have a few roms that NSRT refuses to compress (mostly PD ROMS).

PS: I hope for jma for the GBA, it could save much more space than with Snes roms
rlbond
Hazed

Post by rlbond »

Kagerato wrote:

1.) As Nightcrawler mentioned, JMA is applicable to any data -- just as with any other compression format. It may prove most effective on SNES roms, but there is absolutely no evidence to suggest it should be limited to one category of data.

2.) It is, and I believe has been since the very beginning, possible to add multiple files to JMA-format archives.
I fail to see how the statement "currently jma works only with one rom per jma file" is inaccurate.
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

rlbond wrote:
Kagerato wrote:

I fail to see how the statement "currently jma works only with one rom per jma file" is inaccurate.
Because you "fail" to see that they are talking about the part where he said that jma files only work for snes roms.
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
rlbond
Hazed

Post by rlbond »

Joe Camacho wrote:
rlbond wrote:
Kagerato wrote:

Because you "fail" to see that they are talking about the part where he said that jma files only work for snes roms.
Kagerato wrote:

Owned. 8)
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

rlbond wrote:Owned. 8)
Oh oh! But look what we have here:

A post from Nach, from a thread in which you posted the same thing, where he demostrates that indeed, you can use .jma for groups of roms.

!!!!!!!

Using words like "Owned" is soo stupid.

But oh well, "Owned. 8)".
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
Noxious Ninja
Dark Wind

Post by Noxious Ninja »

Yeah, but until SNES emus get multi-archive file pickers, it's not much use.
[u][url=http://bash.org/?577451]#577451[/url][/u]
Kagerato
Lurker

Post by Kagerato »

I can't understand why rlbond tries to contradict facts that Nach has pointed out multiple times in the past.

That one thread was even in direct response to his own misinformation.
Yeah, but until SNES emus get multi-archive file pickers, it's not much use.
Conserves space for your ROM collection. How many of us actually play a wide variety of games within short spans of time?

My collection tends to stay quite small, but numerous people seem to be interested in downloading the entire set of commercial games.

Speaking of such a set...if you're going to distribute something that large, why not use the best compression available? Saving bandwidth isn't as important as it was before broadband was popular. It's still a reasonable goal, though.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Nightcrawler wrote: I wonder what Nach has to say on this subject.
My thoughts on the subject is that this subject is rediculous, hence I didn't even bother replying till now.

Linking JMA to ZSNES would be like linking ZIP to ZSNES.

I added JMA to Snes9x and SNEeSe for a reason. I also store my AGB ROMs and various source code in JMA for a reason.

SNES only and one ROM only is false, simply skimming the JMA source code from ZSNES would prove that in mere moments.

My only thoughts as to going somewhere is how to improve this.

As for everybody else and petty arguments, please use some logic and look up other threads which contain facts.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by Player1 »

Sorry for starting this topic, I tried it out myself and it worked fine for me, hence I thought I suggest it here. If you think it isn't usefull please lock the topic.

Can anyone explain me please how to compress a snes rom and an IPS patch in one jma file please?
rlbond
Hazed

Post by rlbond »

you can't, yet.