Weird Movie Recording Bug

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Bacon
Hazed

Weird Movie Recording Bug

Post by Bacon »

Before I explain what happened, I guess I should get the NSRT Output for Megaman X 2 (u).

Code: Select all

---------------------Internal ROM Info----------------------
       File: /Emulation/ROMs/Snes ROMs/Mega Man X 2 (U).smc
       Name: MEGAMAN X2             Company: Capcom
     Header: None                      Bank: LoROM
Interleaved: No                        SRAM: 0 Kb
       Type: C4                         ROM: 12 Mb
  ROM Speed: 200ns (SlowROM)       Revision: 1.0
   Checksum: Good 0x09B7              CRC32: 947B0355
        MD5: 67905B989B00046DB06DF3434ED79F04
--------------------------Database--------------------------
   Name: Megaman X 2
 Port 1: Gamepad                  Port 2: Gamepad
Genre 1: Action                  Genre 2: Shooter
Now I'm not sure if the following problems occur with other games, I might go test, but here's the best part:

-Load The ROM
-Save State at Title screen (I was trying to make speed runs)
-After loading state I would to to movie -> record
-When I went ack in the game, it would say "State V Saved, V for movie slot 0, 1 for movie slot 1, etc, not sure if this is a bug, but continuing on:
-Record, fuck up my run, load state, movie-Record.

Now I was recording over the previous movie file everytime I loaded, and two things happened:

The first time, I did a nice run and I quit Zsnes. I went back in to watch "movie 0" and it played the run PRIOR to the one I did a nice run on, I don't know how to explain that any clearer

The second problem, which REALLY pissed me off is after 10 or so re-records, I went to record, overwrite movie, etc etc, then ran the game, but this time Zsnes just quit. No error messages, no nothing, and awesomely enough my Zsnes config file was reset to defaults :lol:

Anyways I hope you don't mind the lack of grammar in this post, Im in a hurry because I have to leave work very soon. Thanks for reading!
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

I'm not entirely sure what you were saying. I think you mentioned at least two bugs, one of which I was able to pick up easily enough, the other I'm not sure.

One thing which I think you may be making a mistake about, when you load a state during a movie, you should only be loading states you created while recording the movie.

You also never mentioned anywhere that you stopped the recording.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by Bacon »

Yeah sorry man, I'm home now, I can explain it into further detail:

First, I saved state at the title screen, after I started recording the movie. I would do my run, screw up the run, then load state. Loading te state automatically stops movie recording, therefore, I would load state, go to Movie -> Record, and it would ask if I was sure I wanted to overwrite my old zmv. I would click yes, the movie would start recording, and away I would go again. However the two things I explain happened

1. I did a nice run and went to movie -> stop. I proceeded to quit Zsnes and go back in, and try playing the movie, however the movie it would play would be the one prior to the "good" one.

2. After a certain amount of times, Zsnes wiould crash after I was asked to overwrite my old zmv, and right when I would push escape to go back into the game, Zsnes crashed. Random areas of my config file were also reset to default, one time it was the video settings, and the controls, another time it was the game keys, it was random every time it would crash, and eventually it crashed again and EVERY setting was restored to default.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post, I also have a question though, how do people load states in movie recording phase without stopping the actual recording? It would be nice to make an interesting movie by doing that, I'm assuming thats what the people who use save states do.

Thanks Nach
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Bacon wrote:Loading te state automatically stops movie recording
Loading a movie state should load the state, and delete all input since that state, and continue recording. Are you using the latest WIP?
Bacon wrote: 1. I did a nice run and went to movie -> stop. I proceeded to quit Zsnes and go back in, and try playing the movie, however the movie it would play would be the one prior to the "good" one.
I'm not sure how to explain this effect...
Bacon wrote: 2. After a certain amount of times, Zsnes wiould crash after I was asked to overwrite my old zmv, and right when I would push escape to go back into the game, Zsnes crashed. Random areas of my config file were also reset to default, one time it was the video settings, and the controls, another time it was the game keys, it was random every time it would crash, and eventually it crashed again and EVERY setting was restored to default.
This sounds quite strange too.
Bacon wrote: Thanks for taking the time to read my post
You're welcome.
Bacon wrote: I also have a question though, how do people load states in movie recording phase without stopping the actual recording? It would be nice to make an interesting movie by doing that, I'm assuming thats what the people who use save states do.
grinvader and I made quite a few movies using save states to test it out.
Record, save in various places, make a mistake and load state, rewinding is possible too, and that's pretty much all there is to it.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by Bacon »

I was using the latest official release, I will try using the latest WIP instead. Thanks :)

I will report back if the latest WIP does any of this too.