DirectX 8 requirement permanent?

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Naelphin
Rookie

DirectX 8 requirement permanent?

Post by Naelphin »

I've managed to get a better computer, but Zsnes dos sound is completely garbled, not to mention that the integrated graphics doesn't like VESA2.

The windows version seems to get past all these problems, but it seems to require DX8. I remember vaguely somewhere that it was planned to drop this requirement, but it seems to have disappeared. Is the DX8 requirement permanent now? Upgrading DX for me is not possible because a bug my video card has whenever it is brought higher than 6.1.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Try updating the drivers.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

If you have a Windows XP system, you can forget about ZSNES DOS.

Yeah, DirectX 8 stay for now.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Mexandrew
Taco Kid DX

Post by Mexandrew »

And Direct X 8 is provided in Win XP so you may have either Windows ME or 2000
B R O K E N .
AntoineWG
Trooper

Post by AntoineWG »

When DX support was introduced, it required DX7. What *MIGHT* work for you is extract the ddraw, dinput and dsound dll files from the DX8 installer and put them in ZSNES' folder.
[i]"It is better to have tried and failed than to have failed to try, but the result's the same." - Mike Dennison[/i]
Ichinisan
Veteran

Post by Ichinisan »

Perhaps you could upgrade your video card drivers, then upgrade to DX8.

Could you tell us exactly which chipset is used by your video card or at least the manufacturer?

(ATI, NVIDIA, S3, Trident, 3DFX, Intel, etc)
Clements
Randomness

Post by Clements »

AFAIK ZSNES mainly uses DX8 for it's much better direct input code, so rolling back to DX7 might result in a wave of angry users stating that their pad no longer works.
Aerdan
Winter Knight

Post by Aerdan »

So switch to OpenGL.
Noxious Ninja
Dark Wind

Post by Noxious Ninja »

OpenGL has nothing to do with input. It is an equivalent of Direct3D, not the entire DirectX package.
[u][url=http://bash.org/?577451]#577451[/url][/u]
Aerdan
Winter Knight

Post by Aerdan »

And?

Write your own damn input code. Or create a PSEmuPro-like plugins system so people can write their own input code. And then we wouldn't have people whining about DirectX.
Naelphin
Rookie

Post by Naelphin »

The reason I cannot update is that the Vooodoo2's DX7+ drivers have a rather large bug wherein all transparency in textures disappears. The DX6 drivers work perfectly, but when I use the DX6 drivers Half-life crashes whenever you try to get back to the main menu.

The reason I asked was because I remember a post a while back that said Zsnes was going to roll back from DX7 support. It appears the team has changed their mind and gone to DX8 now.

So it is permanent.
Noxious Ninja
Dark Wind

Post by Noxious Ninja »

Are you using the last official Voodoo 2 drivers? If you are, grab the latest 3rd party drivers (FastVoodoo 4) from here.
[u][url=http://bash.org/?577451]#577451[/url][/u]
jj_frap
Rookie

Post by jj_frap »

They better not roll back!

Getting my Logitech pad to work in DX7 was a nightmare.
ThunderClaw
I know where you live.

Post by ThunderClaw »

Vareni Stargazer wrote:And?

Write your own damn input code. Or create a PSEmuPro-like plugins system so people can write their own input code. And then we wouldn't have people whining about DirectX.
Great. Go do it if it's so easy. I'm sure Pagefault would be happy to include it in the CVS.
Naelphin
Rookie

Post by Naelphin »

Noxious Ninja wrote:Are you using the last official Voodoo 2 drivers? If you are, grab the latest 3rd party drivers (FastVoodoo 4) from here.
I've tried those before, they didn't help. The problem is that all 3rd party drivers are based on the buggy DX7 version, which means that they also have the transparency problem.

Didn't know that DX8 increased input support, no wonder they want to keep DX8.
Reznor007
Lurker

Post by Reznor007 »

Naelphin wrote:
Noxious Ninja wrote:Are you using the last official Voodoo 2 drivers? If you are, grab the latest 3rd party drivers (FastVoodoo 4) from here.
I've tried those before, they didn't help. The problem is that all 3rd party drivers are based on the buggy DX7 version, which means that they also have the transparency problem.

Didn't know that DX8 increased input support, no wonder they want to keep DX8.
You can update you system's DirectX version while still using the DX7 V2 drivers...

I'm running DX9b on my old computer with a V2. Still works great.

And Halflife works fine, no transparency issues or anything. Must be something on your system.