Chrono Trigger sound problem

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

spoofer

Chrono Trigger sound problem

Post by spoofer »

Sound in this game is realy bad. Background music plays nice for seconds and then gets screwed up for 1-2 seconds. Same goes for short sounds like opening chest. I tried different combos of interpolation and low bass filter and got nothing, both stable 1.36 and WIP. I know it's not sound card becouse I have this problem on two different computers and Snes9x sound emulation works fine on both of them.
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

Post your system specs.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
spoofer

Post by spoofer »

CPU: AMD BartonXP 2500+
MB: EPoX 8RDA3I, nForce2
GFX: Gigabyte GeForce FX 5900XT
RAM: 512MB
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

Make sure you have the latest drivers for everything. (Video card, sound, etc.) And make sure your rom is a good dump.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Get NSRT from http://nsrt.edgeemu.com and verify your rom image with it.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
spoofer

Post by spoofer »

I have latest drivest but I don't think that is problem with them as I have same problem on two completly different computers. NSRT output:

Code: Select all

---------------------Internal ROM Info----------------------
       File: Chrono Trigger.smc
       Name: CHRONO TRIGGER        Company: Square
     Header: SWC                      Bank: HiROM
Interleaved: No                       SRAM: 64 Kb
       Type: Normal + Batt             ROM: 32 Mb
  ROM Speed: 120ns (FastROM)       Version: 1.0
   Checksum: Good 0x788C             CRC32: 2D206BF7
--------------------------Database--------------------------
   Name: Chrono Trigger
 Port 1: Gamepad                 Port 2: Gamepad
Kindo

Post by Kindo »

Hi!

I have this problem as well, I think. Although I did not know it was limited to Chrono Trigger only. I would also very much appreciate some help with this... the sound is really iffy sometimes. It's not some constant erroneous sound, but certain effects come out very bad. A very obvious one is when I am in the Heckran cave, for example; there's supposed to be some background ambience and water flowing, but all I hear is a semi-high-pitched noise. Sound effects when attacking are also not quite as I remember them to have been before, as well as the effect of monsters dying. Is that similar to your problem, spoofer?

Anyway... I, too, have the latest drivers, so I doubt it's that. Some specs:

CPU: Intel Pentium 4, 1700MHz
GFX: GeForce 3, 64Mb
Sound: SB Live! Audio [9800]
Cecil
Paladin

Post by Cecil »

Kindo wrote:Hi!

I have this problem as well, I think. Although I did not know it was limited to Chrono Trigger only. I would also very much appreciate some help with this... the sound is really iffy sometimes. It's not some constant erroneous sound, but certain effects come out very bad. A very obvious one is when I am in the Heckran cave, for example; there's supposed to be some background ambience and water flowing, but all I hear is a semi-high-pitched noise. Sound effects when attacking are also not quite as I remember them to have been before, as well as the effect of monsters dying. Is that similar to your problem, spoofer?

Anyway... I, too, have the latest drivers, so I doubt it's that. Some specs:

CPU: Intel Pentium 4, 1700MHz
GFX: GeForce 3, 64Mb
Sound: SB Live! Audio [9800]
That is actually a known problem in the game. It has something to do with the way the game sent sound data to the Sound Processor in the SNES that isn't emulated in zsnes.
System Specs:

2.2GHz Athlon64 X2 4400+, 2GB DDR 400 SDRAM
EVGA Geforce 7600GT 256MB
Realtek AC '97
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium
spoofer

Post by spoofer »

Snes9x got it right. Maybe ZSNES authors shoud look into it's source!
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

The coders know about this bug already. They might fix it, but I'm not sure.
Kindo

Post by Kindo »

Ah, okay! So it's known... that's actually good news. So, does this mean it's apparent in every game and not just Chrono Trigger? If so, I'll switch to SNES9X until they've fixed it. I definitely prefer ZSNES, but as long as this pretty serious bug (for me it is) is there... I'll have to go with my second hand choice.
Noxious Ninja
Dark Wind

Post by Noxious Ninja »

There are only a few games with incorrect sound. Most of them are just fine.

I think the games most likely to have sound problems are Square RPGs, is that right?
[u][url=http://bash.org/?577451]#577451[/url][/u]
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Square games are notorious when it comes down to raping the SNES sound hardware to produce the sound the programmers wanted.
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
JFD62780
Rookie

Post by JFD62780 »

Another game to note: Super Adventure Island. Its sound effects sound warbley and robotic, while on the actual hardware, they were smooth. The closest you can get with an emulator is SNEeSe when it comes to this phenomenon we call SPC-Rape.

Yet another game (which someone encoded 3 sample MP3's of, documenting the aural differences between ZSNES, SNES9X and the actual hardware) is Super Castlevania 4. Note the thunder and the bats in Demo Mode. ;)
Until next post...
ThunderClaw
I know where you live.

Post by ThunderClaw »

The reason it does this is because the game actually sends junk data to the sound hardware on your SNES (the signal isn't unlike the 'snow static' you get on your TV), and it's not exactly clear as to how they managed to get it to output something that wasn't god-awful.
Kindo

Post by Kindo »

I have sound errors in Clay Fighter as well. I tried Snes9X, but the sound is even worse there. At least on Chrono Trigger. What were you saying about SNEeSe? Does it not have this problem? Also, I don't remember this being apparent in earlier versions of Zsnes. I know I played CT some years back, using this emulator... but I can't recall this.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

SNeeSe has the most accurate sound emulation out of all the SNS emulators. Or so I have heard.
ThunderClaw
I know where you live.

Post by ThunderClaw »

Kindo wrote: Also, I don't remember this being apparent in earlier versions of Zsnes. I know I played CT some years back, using this emulator... but I can't recall this.
I remember playing CT with .990, and the wind effects nearly made me jam a screwdriver into my ear to make the horrible, horrible pain stop.
JFD62780
Rookie

Post by JFD62780 »

My guess is SNEeSe's developers focused more on the sound emulation than anything else...
Until next post...
Oblivion
What?

Post by Oblivion »

JFD62780 wrote:My guess is SNEeSe's developers focused more on the sound emulation than anything else...
I recall the main emphasis of SNEeSe being the timing. Good timing means better sound.
Everything I say is a lie.
Dmog
Lurker

Post by Dmog »

Like Matthew Kendora and others said in the past, the sound problems found in games such as CT probably comes from the timing issue.

Like any non emulation-lamers knows (i.e: "z.nes is basically perfect") zsnes (and snes9x to a lesser extend) timing isn't all that great. Apparently,SnesSe's timing engine is more accurate,and sure enough,the bad sound issue is not present.

The "hardware sound rape" thing probably isn't the real issue.
FitzRoy
Veteran

Post by FitzRoy »

Wow, sneese is good with the sound. Never tried it out before, but it handled chrono trigger and castlevania iv's sfx rape just about perfect. And how long has zsnes had those bugs? Bad thing is I don't think the game support is anywhere near zsnes. I couldn't even get to illusion of gaia's title screen.
Noxious Ninja
Dark Wind

Post by Noxious Ninja »

Maybe it's just me, but I downloaded SNEeSe 0.831 Win32, and whenever I run it, it just flashes the screen and quits.

Obligatory specs:
WinXP Pro SP2
Radeon 9700 Pro w/ Catalyst 4.7
ABit NF7-S w/ latest drivers from ABit's site as of two weeks ago
Last edited by Noxious Ninja on Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
[u][url=http://bash.org/?577451]#577451[/url][/u]
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

Noxious Ninja wrote: Radeon 9700 Pro w/ Catalyst 3.7
update those drivers, they are quite old.
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

Joe Camacho wrote:
Noxious Ninja wrote: Radeon 9700 Pro w/ Catalyst 3.7
update those drivers, they are quite old.
Don't you mean ancient old? :wink: