Please help me....

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

betachris_00
Rookie

Please help me....

Post by betachris_00 »

I've been trying for about 6 hours now to make this work. I don't know much about computers, so please help me out here.

I have two computers in my house. One does not have internet access, and that's the one I own and want to put Zsnes on. I put it on, but got an error message when I tried to use it saying that directdraw create failed, or something to that effect. So far today, all I've done is attempt to put directx 8.1, and then 9.0 on that computer. When I went into the diagnostic for directx and tested the directdraw thing, it said it failed at step 3. I've been getting more and more confused as this has been going on, and I just want to know how to make this work on the computer I can actually use it on.

Somebody please help me!
Noxious Ninja
Dark Wind

Post by Noxious Ninja »

You should try to install the latest video drivers for that computer.
[u][url=http://bash.org/?577451]#577451[/url][/u]
betachris_00
Rookie

Post by betachris_00 »

is that something I can download at microsoft.com? That's where I've been getting the directx stuff. if I can't get it there, where should I go to find it?
Noxious Ninja
Dark Wind

Post by Noxious Ninja »

First you have to figure out what video card the system has.

Right click on the desktop, go to properties, then go to the settings tab. See what's listed in the Display drop down box, post that here.
betachris_00
Rookie

Post by betachris_00 »

Okay, it says default moniter on VGA.

is that what I'm looking for, or is it something else? I checked where you told me, but when I went to properties on the desktop, it sent me straight to display properties, and then I went to the settings tab and found that. Apparantly, my computer up there is only able to display 16 colors too, if that's important.
Noxious Ninja
Dark Wind

Post by Noxious Ninja »

Er, how old is this computer? That sounds like either no video drivers are installed, or it's REALLY old.

Go download EVEREST Home Edition, run it, go to the "PCI/AGP Video" page under "Display", and see what's listed under the "Device Description" heading. Do the same for the "GPU" page.
Last edited by Noxious Ninja on Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lord Alpha
Lurker

Post by Lord Alpha »

Edit: Damn, got beaten to it.

Oh well.
It is better to be silent and thought a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt

I am Zophar, Master of Sh*t!

[url=http://archlyn.bravejournal.com]View my blog[/url]
betachris_00
Rookie

Post by betachris_00 »

Okay, it won't run the program, so I can't do that. I clicked on it after I put it on the other computer (which doesn't have internet access) and it didn't do anything. I extracted the files, since I can't do that on the other one, and then put them on a CD RW, which I then used to put everything that was in the download on there.
And it didn't work, won't do anything.
I'm using Windows 2000, by the way. I don't know if that helps or not.
Cyrus
Trooper

Post by Cyrus »

betachris_00 wrote:Okay, it won't run the program, so I can't do that. I clicked on it after I put it on the other computer (which doesn't have internet access) and it didn't do anything. I extracted the files, since I can't do that on the other one, and then put them on a CD RW, which I then used to put everything that was in the download on there.
And it didn't work, won't do anything.
I'm using Windows 2000, by the way. I don't know if that helps or not.
If you can't install EVEREST get the zip version that is availible on the official site. Here is the link: http://www.lavalys.hu/downloads/everesthome220.zip and if that doesn't work then odds are VIRUS = VERY YES. If your computer is that unstable I would recommend you just format it and set it up properly. Format to NTFS for great justice. Better yet, use Linux.
zoink
Rookie

Post by zoink »

FireKnight wrote: Better yet, use Linux.
if he has problems using windows, i don't think linux will do him any good.

a rock solid computer is worthless if you can't do shit on it.
Lord Alpha
Lurker

Post by Lord Alpha »

Maybe, maybe not. If his card has at least half-way decent VESA support he can use the vesafb driver. It certainly won't support OGL, but if his card is that old, chances are his card doesn't have ANY 3D acceleration,

Frankly, he's probably better off using the DOS port.
It is better to be silent and thought a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt

I am Zophar, Master of Sh*t!

[url=http://archlyn.bravejournal.com]View my blog[/url]
betachris_00
Rookie

Post by betachris_00 »

You're right, I don't have 3D acceleration.

I've gotten closer, I used the DOS version, like you suggested, and I can get to the games now on my crappy computer. But now I have a new problem. There is no sound. I went into the sound section under config., and clicked on enable sound, but it didn't help.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

You should have a program that initializes your soundcard and sets the BLASTER environment string.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
betachris_00
Rookie

Post by betachris_00 »

See, that just kinda confuses me. But I did see an error message when it was starting up, something about the blaster failing or something.

I'll try to find that program, I guess.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Google VDMSound.. that should be able to help you with audio and ZSNES DOS in Windows 2000 though you will need to force 8-bit sound...

But.. I don't think you have installed any video card drivers on that comp (the default drivers do essentially nothing). You need to figure out what video card you have on your computer...

If you bought your computer from somewhere.. they should be able to provide you the drivers for the video card on their website....
OniAndy

Post by OniAndy »

First of all I want to say hello to all, I’m new here :D
My question is about the netplay.
Dose it work with any game?
Or dose it have to be a 2 player game?
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

OniAndy wrote:First of all I want to say hello to all, I’m new here :D
My question is about the netplay.
Dose it work with any game?
Or dose it have to be a 2 player game?
1) This has nothing to do with this thread.
2) This is the wrong forum for this question.
3) You can "play" 1 player games, but only one of the players will have input on it, obviously.
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.