Request thread for resolutions

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Aerdan
Winter Knight

Request thread for resolutions

Post by Aerdan »

Please place all resolution requests in this thread, and why you need/want that resolution.

To date, I've already added a 1600x1200 windowed mode to the Windows port, so please don't request that. :p

Click here for a list of modes currently in my* ZSNES sources. Please refer to this list before requesting a mode, as I may already have added it and not yet nagged grinvader or pagefault into committing the new modes to CVS.

[*: I will strangle you if you assume a mode is in current CVS without a commit message with my name by it specifically stating it's in current CVS.]

The list below is there to provide an in-page notification of what modes have been added that were requested in this thread.

1600x1200 DR Full
1600x1200 DS Full
1680x1050 DR Full

Additionally, once a mode is on the list I linked to earlier in this post, it should be available in source form here. A copy of the script I used to generate the list is available here, if you're curious. [You will need Perl installed in order to use it; place it in zsnes/src/tools/ if you intend to use it yourself.]
Last edited by Aerdan on Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:05 am, edited 6 times in total.
Clements
Randomness

Post by Clements »

I use 1152x864 for my desktop, so that resolution for DR/DS fullscreen would be nice. Not sure how many other users would benefit though.

As you have already implemented 1600x1200 for windowed mode, a fullscreen DR/DS version would also be good for people with monitors that use this as a native resolution and wish to use fullscreen without any quality loss.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

That reminds me, for 1152x864 we have to do the same trick when using HQ4x as 800x600 does with HQ3x.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by Noxious Ninja »

1680*1050 DR FULL.

This would be the same as 1280*960, only with bigger borders, so my laptop screen doesn't do ugly stretchy stuff.
[u][url=http://bash.org/?577451]#577451[/url][/u]
Aerdan
Winter Knight

Post by Aerdan »

Nach has asked I add new resolutions to the end of the list so people don't have to delete their config files between WIPs; I feel people should be doing so anyhow [we're not guaranteeing they work, after all], so don't be surprised if a smaller resolution ends up being at or near the end of the mode list for the port in question.

[EDIT: I hate inserting video modes in the middle cos I have to renumber in four different files [*shudder*], but I would do it anyhow if nach weren't objecting to my doing so. :\]
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

ODR Full modes for SDL port. I don't use them but I'm sure someone would like a ratio mode for fullscreen that wasn't slow/low-res.
Aerdan
Winter Knight

Post by Aerdan »

I can't add ODR modes because the SDL port doesn't support R under OpenGL because whoever wrote the OpenGL code needs to ESAD.
kamaitachi
Rookie

Post by kamaitachi »

Thank you for creating this thread. More than a few ZSNES users would potentially benefit from support of the following fullscreen resolutions in the Windows port:

512x448 DR, 512x480 DR, or both
768x672 DR, 768x720 DR, or both
1024x896 DR, 1024x960 DR, or both

These would be nice for users who want to use the HQ filters in an unstretched screen mode.

Monitors can obviously display screen modes with horizontal resolutions of 640, 800, 1024, or 1280 pixels, but the actual game image inside that resolution does not use the monitor's full viewable screen area, due to those pesky unused columns of pixels on both sides of the the 512, 768, or 1024 pixel-wide game image. Even the CRT monitor's own adjustment controls will not fix the problem, because it considers those extra columns of pixels to be part of the screen, and it was not meant to be able to stretch it very far beyond the boundaries of the viewable area.

This is why the S and DS modes exist, to stretch the game image to fit the full width of the screen mode. However, we all know that stretched modes do not look as good as unstretched ones, especially on CRT-based monitors, which easily support any oddball resolution width like 512 or 768.

Numerous other emulators address this issue by allowing the user to specify the exact screen resolution to send to the monitor. In other words, it is a valid feature for an emulator to support.

I know that adding this to ZSNES is not a simple task. I appreciate your initiative - and the support of it by other devs - very, very much.

As a side request, would it be feasible to add support for 32-bit color in fullscreen modes, rather than just in windowed modes? I think HQ modes look slightly better in 32-bit color. MaxSt can confirm whether or not it this is true. If ZSNES already supports this, I don't know about it.

edit: I was going to try to fiddle with the new ZSNES config file to see if I could access custom resolutions that way, but I doubt it is that easy. I wouldn't mind if that was the only way to do it, however.
foosh

Post by foosh »

I'd like to request that you take a look at the code for the DR mode at 1280x1024.

For some reason this mode, which should retain the normal "pixelation", always turns out blurred, as if the emulator isn't quite getting the ratio translation correct or it is being filtered.

Another thing that makes me suspicious is that when I toggle between 1280x1024 DR unfiltered and 1280x1024 DR w/ HQ4x, the vertical length of the screen shortens, whereas the width stays the same.

Thank you for looking at this and I really appreciate your incredible work and high-quality emulator!!!

for reference: http://board.zsnes.com/phpBB2/viewtopic ... highlight=
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

1200*800 DR Full

...see why in my laptop is better than yours thread.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Aerdan
Winter Knight

Post by Aerdan »

foosh wrote:I'd like to request that you take a look at the code for the DR mode at 1280x1024.

For some reason this mode, which should retain the normal "pixelation", always turns out blurred, as if the emulator isn't quite getting the ratio translation correct or it is being filtered.

Another thing that makes me suspicious is that when I toggle between 1280x1024 DR unfiltered and 1280x1024 DR w/ HQ4x, the vertical length of the screen shortens, whereas the width stays the same.

Thank you for looking at this and I really appreciate your incredible work and high-quality emulator!!!

for reference: http://board.zsnes.com/phpBB2/viewtopic ... highlight=
Okay, the blurriness is coming from your graphics card; we can't fix that [try changing the refresh rate, if you can].

As for the HQ4x issue, I want someone else to confirm this on their own machine, since I and Nach can't use 1280x1024 ourselves at the moment.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

I guess a complete set of 1600x1200 options would be nice.. anything above this resolution is kinda excessive. It seems odd that an emulator doesn't have the full set of standard resolutions...

It would be nicer to have a resolution that adheres to your desktop resolution... that would be best..
Aerdan
Winter Knight

Post by Aerdan »

Deathlike2 wrote:I guess a complete set of 1600x1200 options would be nice.. anything above this resolution is kinda excessive. It seems odd that an emulator doesn't have the full set of standard resolutions...

It would be nicer to have a resolution that adheres to your desktop resolution... that would be best..
Code it yourself or ESAD.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Code it yourself or ESAD.
You didn't have to be that nasty about it.

In any case, I did see you listed the most important ones you were planning to include.. and that should be sufficient.
Clements
Randomness

Post by Clements »

There is definitely something going on with the 1280x1024/hq4x vertical height. For me, the vertical height increases with the filter on.

Here are two comparison shots showing the difference:

1280x1024 with hq4x
1280x1024 without hq4x
kamaitachi
Rookie

Post by kamaitachi »

edit: clutter removal
Last edited by kamaitachi on Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
foosh

Post by foosh »

Glad I'm not alone!

And btw, those 1280x1024 DR F Unfiltered screens (well, all the unfiltered screens) posted by kamaitachi are PERFECT examples of the blurriness that I'm experiencing at the same resolution. (So frustrating!!!)

I'm really hoping someone will come out with a conclusive response to why that happens. I'd especially like to see someone prove that it's video card drivers...I'm highly skeptical of that...... :shock:
Noxious Ninja
Dark Wind

Post by Noxious Ninja »

That looks like your video drivers are applying some form of filtering. Many modernish video cards do that when hardware stretching is enabled.
Last edited by Noxious Ninja on Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[u][url=http://bash.org/?577451]#577451[/url][/u]
foosh

Post by foosh »

Cool, thanks for the response. I just wish I could somehow disable that filtering... :?

And that still doesn't explain the bizarre height change between 1280x1024 HQ*x and 1280x1024 unfiltered resolutions.

EDIT:

I just want to say that I verified that the blurriness is caused by DirectDraw acceleration that is on by default in the DirectX settings for my card.

By using the DirectX Control Panel (http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4017.html) you can disable DD acceleration and have wondrous pixellation.
Aerdan
Winter Knight

Post by Aerdan »

This thread is for resolution requests *only*. Take your discussion shit elsewhere.
Mark7
Hazed

Post by Mark7 »

adventure_of_link wrote:1200*800 DR Full

My laptop has a 1280*800 resolution.

I don't understand why lcd don't just support ALL resolutions (like 256*224). I mean, anything that is different than the native resolution will be streched anyway.
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

Mark7 wrote:
adventure_of_link wrote:1200*800 DR Full

My laptop has a 1280*800 resolution.

I don't understand why lcd don't just support ALL resolutions (like 256*224). I mean, anything that is different than the native resolution will be streched anyway.
Most of them do. Mine supports all resolutions 640x480 up to naitive 1280x1024.
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
Bacon
Hazed

Post by Bacon »

1440 x 900 :)
-_pentium5.1_-
Lurker

Post by -_pentium5.1_- »

1400x1050 DR and DS Full - for people with slightly outdated laptops like mine (it's a Dell Inspiron 8200)
This signature intentionally contains no text other than this sentence.
eNc

Post by eNc »

Yes! I've also got a notebook with a screen resolution of 1400x1050px, so it is exactly 4x3 like a normal television.
Maybe you would add an option to set your own resolutions.
Additionally an option choosing D, R or S and Fullscreen mode or windowed.
This would be a great job. I hope it is possible and you've got the motivation to do it... ;)
By the way... i love ZSNES... :)

So... i need the same resolutions like -_pentium5.1_-, DR and DS Full... HQ4X is also welcomed...