Megaman X sound bug

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

LifeMega

Megaman X sound bug

Post by LifeMega »

I don't know if this is really a 'bug' but in Megaman X in Launch Octopus's stage, the giant snake bots make the wrong sound when you shoot them. It should be more of a 'hiss'.
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

Please post your ROM info. And what ZSNES version are you using?
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

I think this might be part of the Square Sound Rape, but I'm not sure.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
LifeMega

Post by LifeMega »

I am using the latest version of ZSNES, and I don't know what the ROM info is.

Also, when I was playing and the screen saver came on, when it went back the ZSNES screen was black and wouldn't show the video or the GUI, although the sound was fine. This was also on the latest version, and didn't happen with the older version I was using before.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

ROM info is what is shown at the bottom of the screen the first time you run a game; also known as NSRT info.
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Agozer wrote:also known as NSRT info.
What? They are not the same thing.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by LifeMega »

Megaman X
Type: Normal
Interleaved: No
Bank: Lo
Chksum: Fail
Video: NTSC
CRC32: 6F98885D
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Your ROM is bad, redump it or find another.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by Agozer »

Nach wrote:
Agozer wrote:also known as NSRT info.
What? They are not the same thing.
I know, but both show the needed information. I should have worded it better.
LifeMega

Post by LifeMega »

I got a different one, but its the same sound. Here's the info:

Megaman X
Type: Normal
Interleaved: No
Bank: Lo
Chksum: OK
Video: NTSC
CR3C2: 1033EBA4

Also, the last one was an SFC and this one is an SMC, I don't know if that matters though.

Also, when it goes to the screensaver and then back, the screen is black, although the sound works. This didn't happen until I got the new version of ZSNES.
Starman Ghost
Trooper

Post by Starman Ghost »

The extention is irrelevant. You could change the extention from .smc to .whatthefuck and it would still be the same file.
[code]<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what sucks?
<TheXPhial> vaccuums
<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what sucks in a metaphorical sense?
<TheXPhial> black holes
<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what just isn't cool?
<TheXPhial> lava?[/code]
Cyrus
Trooper

Post by Cyrus »

Megabyte wrote:The extention is irrelevant. You could change the extention from .smc to .whatthefuck and it would still be the same file.
In the old days I asked about that. JB said the original extension is based on what copier dumped the ROM. Apparently whatever copiers dumped .smc and .fig were common.
Truth Unknown
Regular

Post by Truth Unknown »

What's your sound card LifeMega?
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

FireKnight wrote:
Megabyte wrote:The extention is irrelevant. You could change the extention from .smc to .whatthefuck and it would still be the same file.
In the old days I asked about that. JB said the original extension is based on what copier dumped the ROM. Apparently whatever copiers dumped .smc and .fig were common.
Yes. Super Wild Card and Pro Fighter. Still used today.
captain puke

Post by captain puke »

Agozer wrote:I think this might be part of the Square Sound Rape, but I'm not sure.
This is the funniest thing i have heard in a long time (it's not made by Square). LOL
Thanks Agozer you made my day :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

Games from other companies might do the same thing.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

captain puke wrote:
Agozer wrote:I think this might be part of the Square Sound Rape, but I'm not sure.
This is the funniest thing i have heard in a long time (it's not made by Square). LOL
Thanks Agozer you made my day :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
This *little* issue is most prominent in Square games, so "Square Sound Rape" is quite fitting to describe the problem. Like creaothceann pointed out, it can be in other games as well.
FitzRoy
Veteran

Post by FitzRoy »

I think the problem is more prevelent. Hundreds of games rape the spc chip to make strange sound effects. The only reason it gets the square moniker is because chrono trigger and final fantasy so god damned popular. So you're bound to get more reports from people who actually owned and played the games for hundreds of total hours. Otherwise, people either don't care or don't notice because they never heard the sound on real hardware to begin with. A little different than a gfx error which is easy to spot regardless of whether you played the game before.
hydr0x
Rookie

Post by hydr0x »

Agozer wrote:
FireKnight wrote:
wth? Super Wild Card is swc, not smc, and the copier itself doesn't even add an extension, the different extension were only created to "mark" the different rom headers the different copiers create
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

hydr0x wrote:
Agozer wrote:
FireKnight wrote:
wth? Super Wild Card is swc, not smc, and the copier itself doesn't even add an extension, the different extension were only created to "mark" the different rom headers the different copiers create
yes I know. The header is different than it's extension in some cases. Some rom images do not even have a valid header,
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

hydr0x wrote: wth? Super Wild Card is swc, not smc
Actually that's not entirely correct.

The Super Wild Card is just a later edition of the Super Magi Com. They use the exact same headers.