Spontaneous general praise

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

MonkeyforaHead
Rookie

Spontaneous general praise

Post by MonkeyforaHead »

I'm not trying to kiss up to anyone, (or am I?) but I just thought I'd like to give Zsnes a little praise after all I've used it over the years.

I actually started using Zsnes back in its pre-1.36 days, and boy has it come a long way since. It kicks Snes9x's ass in about every area that I've got use for it, and the current dev team -- whoever you guys are, I admittedly haven't a clue -- are doing a damn fine job of improving on it at a good pace. Features like being able to skip back a few seconds, pause, frame-advance, or fast forward at whatever speed you please all add to that sense of coolness, not to mention the way the game runs in its own box with its own built-in menu bar and such. Makes a nice change from the standard Windows ones. And the fact that it's still being supported for DOS is pretty cool too.

It's thanks to people like you that the classics are truly being preserved, because quite frankly, the game companies themselves are doing a generally crappy job of it with all their ports and sequels and rehashes. In an interview pertaining to the Revolution's download system a while back, Miyamoto even commented on how they were looking at the possibility of upgrading the graphics of games like the original Super Mario Bros. It's a dead horse, people. If you're going to keep flogging it, there's no point in also applying makeup and pretty dresses that make it look like a transvestite hooker.

So in short, a big thanks to everyone who's gotten the project to where it is now, and who are still helping move it forward. Not once have I experienced any real glitches (outside of netplay in 1.42 and 1.36), and the whole works even runs perfectly smooth on my relatively pitiful 900 MHz/384 RAM rig in fullscreen at 1024x768. Being someone who couldn't code his way out of a paper bag, I salute you.

Now, while I'm here and have the praise out of the way, I have a couple questions regarding weird emulation quirks (don't worry, I'm not going to ask about Starfox or netplay). Edit: Noticed a couple other threads about this just now. Sorry. First, I'm curious as to why certain sound effects in some games come out kind of wonky; for example, a fair chunk of the sounds in Mario RPG. Is that something that's very game-specific, or does it have something to do with the way some games utilize the SNES's sound hardware? And has it been pushed aside as more important matters regarding the emulator are tended to, or is the issue pretty much unfixable?

Second, in very rare cases, the music runs a bit out of sync with the video. Example being, again, Mario RPG, during the into where Peach is kidnapped; the final note of the music is supposed to sound right as Mario jumps into the foreground, yet when emulated, the music ends early. It also happens with the character introduction that plays afterwards, except in that case the music lags behind a bit. What causes stuff like that, and again, might it be fixable in future?

Either way, cheers. You guys have still done a great job with this thing. :wink:
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Many of the "sound quirks" are there because of 'Square Sound Rape'. It reflects on other games as well, not just games by Squaresoft. Search the board, you'll find more info about it.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
MonkeyforaHead
Rookie

Post by MonkeyforaHead »

Yeah, the Square Sound Rape thing is what I acknowledged in my edit up there, but is that also responsible for the music running slightly out of sync?
For great justice.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Even though I'm one of the 'youngest' devs, I thank you for your praise.
Especially on the speed throttling one, since I actually pulled it off with ipher doing his magic on the GUI side.

About music 'desyncing' with video: that's probably because we just let the spc700 core run unchecked without trying to actually make it sync with the main core.
Which causes a lot of other troubles (actraiser 2, EWJ2, clayfighters 1&2, cu-on-pa(?) and probably a hellload of others, like der langrisser, or stuff).
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Bent
Lurker

Post by Bent »

grinvader wrote: About music 'desyncing' with video: that's probably because we just let the spc700 core run unchecked without trying to actually make it sync with the main core.
Which causes a lot of other troubles (actraiser 2, EWJ2, clayfighters 1&2, cu-on-pa(?) and probably a hellload of others, like der langrisser, or stuff).
Except the game he mentioned, SMRPG, is an SA-1 game, is it not? If Kirby Super Star is anything to go by, the timing of SA-1 games is way off, because the intro of that game has the audio and video several seconds off. Maybe work on the SA-1 core would fix this without having to touch the spc core? Please correct me if I am wrong.
~Bent
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Maybe. Except perfect SA-1 timing will prolly require the high-end computers available in ten years.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54