Highest quality audio settings?

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

plank

Highest quality audio settings?

Post by plank »

What settings should I use in ZSNES to get the highest quality audio?. This info should really be in the documentation somewhere, like under "Best Audio/Visual settings" or something.
ThunderClaw
I know where you live.

Re: Highest quality audio settings?

Post by ThunderClaw »

plank wrote:What settings should I use in ZSNES to get the highest quality audio?. This info should really be in the documentation somewhere, like under "Best Audio/Visual settings" or something.
Trouble is that the 'best' thing is purely a matter of taste. Gaussian audio interpolation is favored by many people, but others turn thier nose up at it. Some folks like the Super Eagle or HQxX filters, but others think it distorts the natural beauty of the SNES's output.

The best answer here is to fiddle around with it and find what YOU like best.
FireKnight:I'm pretty sure a 1KG 24k gold brick costs less than that.

phonymike: well the same amount of raw metals used in a car costs a fraction of the price of a new car idiot. I'm gonna take away your posting privileges and replace them with my balls on your chin.

I smell spray paint.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

The whole question is subjective. I'll tell you that much. You should look some of the sound settings up on google (if you even bother)...

8-point interpolation is the best (though, gaussian by default is the most accurate to the original SNES)

The bass settings... it is between High Quality and Dynamic (whatever sounds better.. again, this is subjective).

The best thing to do is test it out with your speakers and your ears.. there's nothing else to suggest... well maybe setting the sound rate to 48khz (48000hz)
plank

Post by plank »

Is any sound interpolation necessary, or does it improve the sound quality?
Baldho
Rookie

Post by Baldho »

when I read the docs, I was glad to see some "This is the setting closest to a real snes" lines.

As far as i know, there is no other way than to try it to know what enhancements do. It would be nice to have some lines about what they actually do. Unless you find this pointless as the common user is lazy and doesn't care. ;)
The pouiller the better
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Well, by default.. the settings are already set for the most accurate sound quality to the SNES... so even the average person doesn't have to worry..

Is any sound interpolation necessary, or does it improve the sound quality?
Sound interpolation in general isn't necessary.. but very useful.

Sound interpolation is made to improve sound quality most of the time (accuracy is generally the most important factor)

By default, Gaussian interpolation is the default and most accurate to the SNES (technically, this is necessary to make it sound like the real SNES).. using the other two options is an improvement upon the Gaussian filter. So yes, all the interpolation options improve sound quality (with 8-point interpolation being the best).
plank

Post by plank »

Okay then, thanks a lot for all your help
MonkeyforaHead
Rookie

Post by MonkeyforaHead »

So, in a nutshell, Gaussian is the most accurate, while 8-point is the highest quality? Cool. I never wanted to mess with those settings before in case I screwed something up. :P Guess I'll give it a shot now, though.
For great justice.