No Sound with DOS 7.1 and ZSnes 1.42

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Kernel
Rookie

Post by Kernel »

Yod@ wrote:Did you try disabling the printer port in the BIOS? I had to do that to get mine working.

The real killer is that the FM801 outputs really scratchy, shitty quality audio.
I couldn't put up with it for more than a day, so I spent a few days setting up ArcadeOS/AdvanceMAME/ZSnes to work in Windows. Problem is, performance in Windows is slightly poorer than the DOS version - the DOS version was perfectly smooth for me, but the Windows one has little pauses every now and then. Very annoying.

I'm gonna have to go back to DOS again, I think. :(
You have disabled the printer port because it was occupying "IRQ 7".
My IRQ 7 was free, so FM801 worked fine. If there was a problem, sound should have not worked also with AdvMame, kgnen98, Gencyst, ArcadeOS, ecc...
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

You are better off trying to see if you can configure the SB emulation to an IRQ of 5 (99% of the time, you shouldn't have a problem).... IRQ 5 was usually designated for ISA sound cards (technically, but it wasn't like required or anything) and any sort of SB emulation normally shouldn't have a problem using that IRQ...
HaaTa

Post by HaaTa »

I also have a similar problem but it may be because of another reason:

Laptop
P1 133 MHz
64 MB ram
OPL3-SAx Yamaha integrated soundcard
Dos 7.1 (separate installation, not in any way related to Win9x)

Almost every PC game I have on here (only one) has full sound working, I can change all the internal sound options (irq, dma, etc.) in the bios. Like the problems above there is no sound.

I have the Dos driver as well for it but I really don't think that's the case (don't need it for the games). Is there any way to manually select the port, DMA, and Interrupt settings.
kroggle

Post by kroggle »

i have the same problem

im running DOS 7.1 so i dont have to wait for windows to load up

my card is a sound blaster audigy
it works fine for all dos emulators apart from zsnes and callus

the sound works fine with my old isa card but the motherboard i want to use doesnt have an ISA port

its damn annoying

someone must know how to fix this , please :(

oh and it zsnes detects the card, it says "vibra 16 detected" or something similar, but still no sound at all
Kernel
Rookie

Post by Kernel »

kroggle wrote:i have the same problem

im running DOS 7.1 so i dont have to wait for windows to load up

my card is a sound blaster audigy
it works fine for all dos emulators apart from zsnes and callus

the sound works fine with my old isa card but the motherboard i want to use doesnt have an ISA port

its damn annoying

someone must know how to fix this , please :(

oh and it zsnes detects the card, it says "vibra 16 detected" or something similar, but still no sound at all
I have not been yet able to solve this issue... I can see that many people have the same problem. :(
Hope one day someone fix this!
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Just a thought Kernel..

Even though practically all sound cards made today are 16-bit.. they are not very DOS friendly any more.. I still have the sound card that you have mentioned.. and it wasn't very much DOS friendly.. especially with ZSNES. Having Win98SE back then and ZSNES DOS.. there were many tricky issues to tackle and if I recall correctly.. had to force 8-bit sound with the DOS version of ZSNES because I got static with my SB Live...

Have you at the very least considered using the Windows version of ZSNES?

Also, have you at the very least used the DOS version within Windows? Pure DOS is not so great in terms of compatibility. But then again.. it seems like you have WinME (ugh, the worst MS OS in existance - DOS 7.1 = WinME, DOS 7.0 = Win95/98/98SE)

It makes absolutely no sense to use DOS with the computers you have listed. Seriously...
Bobbias2.0
Rookie

Post by Bobbias2.0 »

he gives reasons: He's got a program that will allow VGA output at 15Hz for an old monitor to have vingage video output, which, using windows, is a pain in the ass to accomplish. I'm sure it's possible, but you'd need to have some weird ass settings for your video card and shit. Basically, aside from Zsnes not having sound, his setup is perfect. Everything else works perfectly, but Zsnes.
Kernel
Rookie

Post by Kernel »

Bobbias2.0 wrote:he gives reasons: He's got a program that will allow VGA output at 15Hz for an old monitor to have vingage video output, which, using windows, is a pain in the ass to accomplish. I'm sure it's possible, but you'd need to have some weird ass settings for your video card and shit. Basically, aside from Zsnes not having sound, his setup is perfect. Everything else works perfectly, but Zsnes.
Perfect analysis! :wink:
Deathlike2 wrote:it seems like you have WinME (ugh, the worst MS OS in existance - DOS 7.1 = WinME, DOS 7.0 = Win95/98/98SE)
That's wrong:
DOS 7.1 is not from WinME. WinME has "DOS 8.0".
DOS 7.1 is a "powered" DOS 7.0. Read here:
http://www.cn-dos.net/msdos71/whatsnew.htm
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

I'll tell you this much.. there is MANY.. I mean MANY more hassles with the DOS port of ZSNES (unless you got it working on the first try, you're screwed for the most part).

It's a sad state of affairs that in 2005, people are still using WinME.. I can understand Win98SE.. but ME... ugh

In any case.. the only thing that stands out to be rather odd is the fact that your H# is not 5.. which is generally the norm.. however, I don't think that is the solution, but try that first.

In rereading this thread, you haven't said you tried changing the IRQ used by the sound card (or the SB emulation, whatever)... you should try to change it to 5 and see how that goes (just try it, it can't hurt you).

When ZSNES was developed (for DOS mainly), I googled and found that some of the previous versions had issues with the H# (HDMA)... not that it matters, but it was very sensitive to audio compatibility.. I'll tell you that much.
Kernel
Rookie

Post by Kernel »

Deathlike2 wrote:I'll tell you this much.. there is MANY.. I mean MANY more hassles with the DOS port of ZSNES (unless you got it working on the first try, you're screwed for the most part).
I use DOS for many things and if you set up corectly the environment it works fine... now the only problem i have is with ZSNES.
In any case.. the only thing that stands out to be rather odd is the fact that your H# is not 5.. which is generally the norm.. however, I don't think that is the solution, but try that first.

In rereading this thread, you haven't said you tried changing the IRQ used by the sound card (or the SB emulation, whatever)... you should try to change it to 5 and see how that goes (just try it, it can't hurt you).

When ZSNES was developed (for DOS mainly), I googled and found that some of the previous versions had issues with the H# (HDMA)... not that it matters, but it was very sensitive to audio compatibility.. I'll tell you that much.
Changing the IRQ to 5 is one of the first thing I've tried also with other sound cards i've used.
It's a sad state of affairs that in 2005, people are still using WinME.. I can understand Win98SE.. but ME... ugh
Luckily WinME is the only Microsoft OS i've never tried!
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Did you change the HDMA number to H5? Your original post stated it was at H7.

If I recall correctly, the SB 128 PCI drivers had SB emulation options (within Device Manager) that you had to use... I believe those can be changed in some ini file in Windows... but I doubt it would solve your problem... You were limited to support the SB Pro with that hardware..

Technically.. you would have only a T4 in the SET BLASTER variable... but then again.. only old games that auto detect sound would be using it (like say Warcraft 2).

Hm.. now that I think about it further..

Are you testing your stuff in pure DOS (not booting Windows, or shuttig down to DOS mode.. which is similar, but close enough) or DOS within Windows (or both, please specify)

If you are using pure DOS to test the SB 128 PCI DOS drivers, it NEVER worked with ZSNES.. I'm kinda sure it works in DOS within Windows.
Kernel
Rookie

Post by Kernel »

Deathlike2 wrote:Did you change the HDMA number to H5? Your original post stated it was at H7.

If I recall correctly, the SB 128 PCI drivers had SB emulation options (within Device Manager) that you had to use... I believe those can be changed in some ini file in Windows... but I doubt it would solve your problem... You were limited to support the SB Pro with that hardware..

Technically.. you would have only a T4 in the SET BLASTER variable... but then again.. only old games that auto detect sound would be using it (like say Warcraft 2).

Hm.. now that I think about it further..

Are you testing your stuff in pure DOS (not booting Windows, or shuttig down to DOS mode.. which is similar, but close enough) or DOS within Windows (or both, please specify)

If you are using pure DOS to test the SB 128 PCI DOS drivers, it NEVER worked with ZSNES.. I'm kinda sure it works in DOS within Windows.
I'm using pure DOS.
Tomorrow I will try with "SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H5 P330 T4"
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Oh.. no wonder..

It will NEVER work. You have to be using DOS within Windows for it to work.

Trust me when I say.. get a new sound card (SB Live! 24-bit edition is like $30).. because the SB 128 PCI would NEVER EVER work in pure DOS with ZSNES no matter how hard I tried.

Once I got an SB Live! (and was still using Win98Se at the time).. it worked PERFECTLY in DOS.. in fact, I got 16-bit audio support from ZSNES from pure DOS (it had very good SB16 emulation).. and most hardware would never emulate the SB16 (especially for ZSNES).. with the exception of having an SB16.

It is futile Kernel. I'm telling you right now. I'm sorry to tell you... I know ZSNES DOS has terrible sound compatibility. But, the SB emulation from the SB 128 PCI isn't "good enough" for ZSNES. There is something "incomplete" about the emulation that ZSNES dislikes.

I could suggest you try to find the LAST known version of Snes9x for DOS.. 1.26 I believe. If I recall correctly, the Snes9x for DOS versions worked fairly well (much better than ZSNES in DOS SB detection)... and I believe worked with the SB 128 PCI.. but don't quote me on it.
Kernel
Rookie

Post by Kernel »

Deathlike2 wrote: Trust me when I say.. get a new sound card (SB Live! 24-bit edition is like $30).. because the SB 128 PCI would NEVER EVER work in pure DOS with ZSNES no matter how hard I tried.

Once I got an SB Live! (and was still using Win98Se at the time).. it worked PERFECTLY in DOS.. in fact, I got 16-bit audio support from ZSNES from pure DOS (it had very good SB16 emulation).. and most hardware would never emulate the SB16 (especially for ZSNES).. with the exception of having an SB16.
If you remember I've tryed my friend's "sound blaster live! 1024" (is 24bit-edition the same?) but it doesn't work in the same way: very well with ALL except zsnes!
I've also tryed my Fortemedia FM801-AU with the same result...
With these circumstances it's hard to trust that this problem is due to incomplete SB emulation...

Thank you Deathlike2 for your suggestions, but I've lost any hope... :(

EDIT: I've seen that the 24bit version is not the same:
http://www.soundblaster.com/products/pr ... duct=10315

It's hard to believe that creative has improved SB DOS emulation with newer sound cards...
Deathlike2 can you confirm me that the card is this? (and that it works :D )
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

The SB Live! 1024 is slightly different from the SB Live! in terms of driver support (moreso software - their Liveware package - basically, it was the crapshoot version for people that didn't know better and you couldn't use the Live Drive with it).

The 24-bit edition is the pretty much the same chip as the original (I don't know for sure, but the SB Live family of cards in general do essentially the same stuff).

The SB emulation ALWAYS worked better in Windows... I don't recall if the SB Live worked perfectly in pure DOS (I'm retracting my earlier statement, because it's all fuzzy).

See, the thing is.. the SB 128 PCI is an Ensoniq chipset.. not a Creative one. Creative is essentially using their hardware (they acquired them prior to that point) and putting the "Creative" name on it. It's sickening. Think about why they recommend using "Ensoniq Soundscape" when it comes to sound card detection for DOS.

The SB DOS emulation only emulated up to an SB Pro early in the first PCI sound cards they made. The SB DOS emulation was as good as an SB16 as soon as the SB Live series was made.

The picture is pretty much the same card (but the colored plugins are different, since the SB Live 5.1 series). I'm still giving you fair warning though, I make no guarentees that the card in its current revision will work on your system in pure DOS.. I can totally guarentee it working in DOS within Windows.

Besides, those DOS emulators will benefit from 16-bit sound (well, if they can use it) because they will default to 8-bit sound from the SB emulation you are currently using (unless they have good sound support).
senserd

Post by senserd »

I was so inspired by this long thread, I decided to try ZSNES DOS myself on my old win98 machine with a SB16 ISA card. At first, I thought I had the same problem, no sound, but then I tried turning up the volume all the way on my speakers. Then, I had sound! For some reason, the combination of ZSNES DOS and my sound card made it really quiet, even though the same volume setting on windows and a few other DOS programs was fine. Did you try turning up the volume already?
Baldho
Rookie

Post by Baldho »

yeah i'm getting a very low volume on the DOS version here too.
The pouiller the better
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

It does help to make sure the emulator volume setting is at 100% AND having the sound emulation drivers set to max volume as well (most of them have some volume utility).
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

ok people if ya wanna know how to get dos sound to work within windows 98 or in pure dos v7.x then do one of the following

windows:- Click start, point to settings, click control panel, double click system, click device manager, click the lil plus sign nest to sound, video and game controllers, double click either soundblaster128 or sb pci, click settings, tick legacy emulation enabled, mpu-401 output should be internal synthesizer.

then run zsnes and see if that works.

now for

dos:- when installing sound drivers within windows make sure to do a custom install abd tick DOS SOUND DRIVERS, now from pure dos go to where your sound programs are installed and type dir and try to run as many executable files as humanly possible.

once done then try zsnes again

also note that there should not be any need for settings to be added to autoexec.bat or system.ini or config.sys

also all settings options configurations are only valid for vibra 128 and soundblaster 128 soundcards
Baldho
Rookie

Post by Baldho »

and try to run as many executable files as humanly possible.
Hahaha! Liked this one :D
The pouiller the better
Bobbias2.0
Rookie

Post by Bobbias2.0 »

my thoughts when i saw that were like this:
haha, that's good...

what if he uninstalls it?
oh well, that'd be funny too...
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

people its been ages since i treid it in pure dos as i also have a sounblaster 128

none of the dos sound programs should uninstall it

i havnt used it in ages therefore ii cant recall exactly what files to run ok?

i use beta vxd drivers from the install cd and it works a charm all the time

also in my previous post if ya wanna get sound to work within a DOS shell (eg. DOS within windows) then ya need to install vxd drivers and not wdm drivers

as vxd i think directly interfaces with the card while wdm is restricted by windows

also winME works like a charm for me. never ever encountered a blue screen that wasnt created by a third party program (eg. doom, hexen, hexen 2, quake, diablo and requiem avenging angel)

the only blue screens that i've encountered most often was one generated by norton antivirus and norton password protector. (which i've only recently discovered accidently on microsofts website)

the error itself was a random BSOD generated every 5 - 60 minutes and each time its encountered your lan card gets screwed till you reboot your pc
Kernel
Rookie

Post by Kernel »

senserd wrote:Did you try turning up the volume already?
Yes, I've turned up to max my amplified speackers and the emulator volume setting is at 100%! Nothing but noise...
In your case it works because you have an ISA sound card.
franpa_9 wrote: dos:- when installing sound drivers within windows make sure to do a custom install abd tick DOS SOUND DRIVERS, now from pure dos go to where your sound programs are installed and type dir and try to run as many executable files as humanly possible.
Curious thing. At this point I'll try also this method!
chefboyardi

Post by chefboyardi »

I just recently started a project to convert a PC into a dedicated emulation box. I would probably compare it to a less-hardcore version of the several AdvanceMAME/ArcadeOS setups out there. Here's the general setup:

Pentium III 800 MHZ
256 MB RAM
30 GB HD
SoundBlaster Live! 5.1 PCI (NOT Value, NOT 24-bit, etc...)
Integrated Video (Intel Blah Blah at 1MB)

MS-DOS 7.1 - (Pure DOS... I DO NOT have Windows 9x/ME installed)

I'm basically having the same problem that Kernel has... I've got my SoundBlaster Live! 5.1 PCI emulating a legacy SB16 using Creative's DOS drivers. Under emulation, I can get sound from the SoundBlaster's test application, from NESTICLE X.XXX and even from Duke Nukem 3D (Hehe). However, I can't get ZSNES to output any inkling of sound to my speakers.

I didn't know if anyone had resolved this issue so I decided to resurrect it. I have my reasons for not using the Windows version of ZSNES. Since ZSNES is the definitive DOS SNES emulator (IMO), I feel that SoundBlaster PCI emulation support should be fixed eventually, especially since Creative pretty much owns the sound card market and finding ISA sound cards and compatible mobos are painful (and expensive for a college student who just bought a PC for this emulation box project...a PC that didn't have any ISA slots in it).

I'm running the official ZSNES 1.42. No, I haven't installed and tested the latest WIP, but I plan on doing that later on tonight. In the meantime, I thought I'd at least bring this thread back up to everyone's attention.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If you've found a fix, I'll put your name in my frontend program as ("ZSNES Sound Fix by ######"). Granted, I'll probably be the only person who sees your credit, but I'll definitely be grateful for it!
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

chefboyardi:
Play with IRQ it's running on, by me when I switched to IRQ 7, it started working fine.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.