Implementation of Even More Render Methods (I Mean Filters)

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Tallgeese
Justice is Blind

Post by Tallgeese »

YOU DARE DISS THE TOASTER PLUGIN!? KILL THE INFIDEL!

But really, I sort of agree, half and half. I like what the ZSNES contributors have been doing though. I just wish certain graphics bugs on certain obscure games were fixed, heh. (FM: GH menu bug for example.)
BanonX
Rookie

Post by BanonX »

What is this "toaster plugin" you speak of?
Sounds "kewl"..
zsnes (btw i'm too stupid to learn the name of the emulator)

oh wait.. it's zSnes!!! :twisted:
sprite
Rookie

I feel much better now!

Post by sprite »

Reznor007 wrote:I'm all for this effect. If you could just use MAME's D3D filter pattern that would be better.
That’s my filter of choice in MAME 32. It would be nice if they added it to ZSNES.
Dmog wrote:Make that 97% :D
Thank you very much! Fantastic!Image
I like the first filter a lot. It makes a better job at simulating a tv display compared to scanlines (though scanlines are still pretty good)[/quote]
Precisely! That’s very much the idea of RGB filters.
Dmog wrote:Note that you shouldn't be surprised to get a lot negative reactions. Nowadays many people can't play on emulators without some sort of fancy pseudo high-res filters. So anything that actually try to recreate the original display is labeled "retarded".
Those “fancy pseudo high-res” filters are ingenious inventions, but as far as 32-bit graphics goes, in certain games, I prefer to stick to regular scanlines. (I love the job HQx does with the 8-bit NES graphics, though.) Like I mentioned in my earlier post, depending on the graphic style of the game, the resulting quality of the image may vary. For instance, I enjoy looking at Yoshi’s Island with HQ2x enabled, while I wouldn’t use it with, say, Mortal Kombat, or Donkey Kong Country. It seems to me, that when shades/highlights are very smooth in the original graphics, those scale filters tend to yield in some unattractive pixilation. I believe they work best with graphics of sudden colour contrasts. This is just a matter of my personal esthetic tastes, though. 8) Others may like it the other way.
BanonX wrote: I never thought about patterns like that.. the white is transparent and the colors are at what -- 50%?
The white is transparent, yes (0 opacity) but the transparency of the RGB colours dots isn’t fixed. Instead, they are blended with the game pixels in the “multiple” mode. I can’t explain the formula as I’m not sure. (Not that you’d need to know). :oops:
BanonX wrote:These would be some cool-ass fill patterns for some of my web based graphics!!

You bet you!Image It can be also used by artists to add style to non-game graphics/images. And if you use it over a double-scaled photo, it will cover the resulting ugly pixilation. If you want to play around with it, you can always PM, or email me. :wink:
Reznor007 wrote:To be honest, this type of filter looks far more accurate than standard scanlines, and much better than Scale2x and related filters. Standard scanlines just draws black lines over every other line, which is not how TV's do it. This simulates the pixels of the TV and looks reasonably close to a real TV(I work as an arcade tech and repair monitors all the time so I have a pretty good idea).
Also, aside from standard scanlines and bilinear, this is the only type of filter MAME supports. Scale2x and such alter the way the game looks, which is against MAME's goals, while this filter makes it look more authentic.
Thank you so much for sharing my point of view on things! Image
FistOfFury wrote:Man, who cares about stupid filters? Why doesn't everyone work together to help fix the timing stuff so more games will work correctly? We could have had the next version of zsnes out already, but instead it's been like more then two years since the last official release because people are wasting time doing unneeded shit, like image filters and toaster plugins...
I bet you didn't read my first post. :arrow:
In my very first post, I said wrote:I know that developers have more important things to do, so when they get those out of the way, I’d like them to consider adding the following image filters to ZSNES sometime for my complete happiness:
So you see, nobody is pushing, or crying for anything, or demanding prioritization. You can always start a new thread about those important issues that you listed. No one’s holding you back. As a matter of fact, I personally am ready to support you anyway I can. Just don’t make me want to apologize for starting this thread, okay?Image
Magus` wrote:I still don't get why anyone would want to add shit on top of the image? What's wrong with a clear, non-scan lined image? It looks fucking ugly as hell with all those extra things on top of it.
My 4th post might just answer that question too. :arrow:
...ripping games spriteless...
FistOfFury
Hazed

Re: I feel much better now!

Post by FistOfFury »

sprite wrote: I bet you didn't read my first post.
sprite wrote: So you see, nobody is pushing, or crying for anything, or demanding prioritization.
:roll:
Yea, actually, I read your post and everyone elses. And I didn't say that anyone was pushing or demanding, so why are you telling us this? You didn't say in your original post that no one was allowed to comment on your idea, or say if they liked it or not, so that's what I did. Forums are wonderful, aren't they? And I'll say it again, more image filters aren't necessary. I don't like the idea.
sprite
Rookie

Post by sprite »

T:( :( BAD
BanonX
Rookie

Post by BanonX »

Cool! Made my own fill pattern in Photoshop (I think this is at 30-40% opacity..) ..

Normal Mario:
Image RGB Mario: Image

sweet...
sprite
Rookie

just one thing

Post by sprite »

Yeah, nice, But now try the same using my aforementioned “multiple” blend mode.
ImageImage
Notice that ‘my’ Mario’s facial hair and the black contour lines don’t have those green dots, and I also don’t get the slight loss of contrast, which you get with simple fixed transparency. That's the whole key :wink:
Last edited by sprite on Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
BanonX
Rookie

Post by BanonX »

I see what you mean! I'll look in to it!
Dmog
Lurker

Post by Dmog »

Magus` wrote:I'd rather something sharpen it (like the HQXX filters) rather than added lines to or blur it.

Crisp > Blurry
That's your preference. It's cool. If you say that the RGB effect is inferior to something like HQX filters because you officially declared it then that's less cool imo.

Do you have a beef against having the choice? If you prefer HQ filters then use HQ filters. Those who would prefer scanlines or RGB effect filters would use that.
Dmog
Lurker

Post by Dmog »

Clements wrote:I'd glad to see I'm not the only one on the board with this opinion Magus`. Why degrade a snes image to make a pretend TV on a monitor when you can just use TV-out or similar to 'get the original' on a real TV. Why bother? For people who can't afford decent TV-out?
Yeah ok.Nice attitude.

You might as well say: "Why complain about a bug in the emulator? Why bother? If you want the "real" thing: Just go buy the system and the games ya cheap bastard"
Magus`
Cap'n Gin | Admin

Post by Magus` »

The arguement is whether or not you want it close to the original in appearance, yet you're ignoring the fact that the original wasn't all that great.

Restricted to (at best) S-Video, and having to deal with scanlines muddying the image, I find that without the added filters and such, it looks much nicer.
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

yeah.

these filters are crap. lets add random noise in a vain attempt at simulating the image displayed on a inferior device. ya!

if you can't code this yourself sprite, then I doubt you'll see this in snes9x or zsnes anytime soon.
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

Dmog wrote:That's your preference. It's cool. If you say that the RGB effect is inferior to something like HQX filters because you officially declared it then that's less cool imo.

Do you have a beef against having the choice? If you prefer HQ filters then use HQ filters. Those who would prefer scanlines or RGB effect filters would use that.
Well, you also have the choice to add them yourself. :wink:
Dmog wrote:Yeah ok.Nice attitude.

You might as well say: "Why complain about a bug in the emulator? Why bother? If you want the "real" thing: Just go buy the system and the games ya cheap bastard"
I'll tell you something: when 1 in a 100 complains about something, it is his problem, and as his problem, he must solve it himself.
When 50+ in a 100 complain about the same thing, then it becomes a community problem, and it must be solved by everyone, or it must be solve by someone for the sake of the community.

The first case applied to your filters, the second case applied to emulation bugs.
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
Reznor007
Lurker

Post by Reznor007 »

Magus` wrote:The arguement is whether or not you want it close to the original in appearance, yet you're ignoring the fact that the original wasn't all that great.

Restricted to (at best) S-Video, and having to deal with scanlines muddying the image, I find that without the added filters and such, it looks much nicer.
Actually you can get RGB out of SNES. And since SNES games are designed to be viewed on crappy displays, this effect goes along with it. The Scale/HQ filters make it look too clean and artificial, which completely ignores the not so great original.
Dmog
Lurker

Post by Dmog »

Reznor007 wrote:
Magus` wrote:The arguement is whether or not you want it close to the original in appearance, yet you're ignoring the fact that the original wasn't all that great.

Actually you can get RGB out of SNES. And since SNES games are designed to be viewed on crappy displays, this effect goes along with it. The Scale/HQ filters make it look too clean and artificial, which completely ignores the not so great original.
"Butt H-Q filters makes the e-mage look bed-ther! Is none sense too want same e-mage has original wen you kan have better! Y use shit when u kan have better? I prefer game-cube because it as beder image which is why I play z.nes"
rage46
Lurker

Post by rage46 »

Dmog wrote: "Butt H-Q filters makes the e-mage look bed-ther! Is none sense too want same e-mage has original wen you kan have better! Y use shit when u kan have better? I prefer game-cube because it as beder image which is why I play z.nes"
Please spell in COHERENT english next time, thank you.
Some people are like slinky's not really good for anything but you can't help smile when one falls down the stairs.
Oblivion
What?

Post by Oblivion »

rage46 wrote:
Dmog wrote: "Butt H-Q filters makes the e-mage look bed-ther! Is none sense too want same e-mage has original wen you kan have better! Y use shit when u kan have better? I prefer game-cube because it as beder image which is why I play z.nes"
Actually, he just needs to spell much better. Spelled correctly, that nearly forms complete, coherent sentences. Oh yes, and how can you have coherent spelling? Grammar != Spelling

I think he was being sarcastic.
Everything I say is a lie.
Spoony
Hazed

Post by Spoony »

Dmog, you aren't funny. I think this kind of filter is retarded, but whatever, I'm not stoping anybody from using it. What I am stopping you from doing is continuing to be a moron.
[url=http://www.alexchiu.com/affiliates/clickthru.cgi?id=spoony]Immortality[/url]
Dmog
Lurker

Post by Dmog »

Joe Camacho wrote:
Dmog wrote:That's your preference. It's cool. If you say that the RGB effect is inferior to something like HQX filters because you officially declared it then that's less cool imo.

Well, you also have the choice to add them yourself. :wink:
Yeah,I just hope you don't receive such responses if you ever ask for something.(and frankly,I'd have more respect were you one of the coder)

That should be an auto-generated response one receives when someone ask for a feature: "Code it yourself" Cut the bullshit.

Frankly I don't understand the mentality that says: For a feature to be included, at least 50% of people must have the intention of using it...Why hate a feature that you're not going to use?
Dmog wrote:Yeah ok.Nice attitude.

I'll tell you something: when 1 in a 100 complains about something, it is his problem, and as his problem, he must solve it himself.
When 50+ in a 100 complain about the same thing, then it becomes a community problem, and it must be solved by everyone, or it must be solve by someone for the sake of the community.

The first case applied to your filters, the second case applied to emulation bugs.
Welcome to "quality emulation"...

Using your logic,if a bug is found in a game,but...most people don't give a shit about the bug,because most emulation fanboys are happy as long as the game boots and that no severe graphic glitches is present then the bug should not be fixed. Because "the community" don't care about the bug.

(Also, I'm sure there would be more than 1% of people using Zsnes that would use the rgb filters)
Last edited by Dmog on Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dmog
Lurker

Post by Dmog »

Spoony wrote:Dmog, you aren't funny. I think this kind of filter is retarded, but whatever, I'm not stoping anybody from using it. What I am stopping you from doing is continuing to be a moron.
That wasn't meant to be funny actually. This is what "the community" sounds like right now..Not amusing at all imo.

Your 'moron' comment is just a case of Pot-Kettle-Black.
And I'm not sure what you're smoking that is making you think that you can prevent me from saying whatever I feel like saying (that you personally find it moronic is utterly irrelevant) You're not a moderator afaik.
Dmog
Lurker

Post by Dmog »

rage46 wrote:
Please check your SARCASM radar next time, thank you
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

Dmog wrote:
rage46 wrote:
Please check your SARCASM radar next time, thank you
Please check your EDIT button next time, thank you.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
Spoony
Hazed

Post by Spoony »

Kindly do not triple post, there is an edit button.

As a matter of fact, I am a moderator. The more you know eh?
[url=http://www.alexchiu.com/affiliates/clickthru.cgi?id=spoony]Immortality[/url]
sprite
Rookie

Post by sprite »

Spoony wrote:Dmog, you aren't funny. I think this kind of filter is retarded, but whatever, I'm not stoping anybody from using it. What I am stopping you from doing is continuing to be a moron.
funkyass wrote:yeah. these filters are crap. lets add random noise in a vain attempt at simulating the image displayed on a inferior device. ya! if you can't code this yourself sprite, then I doubt you'll see this in snes9x or zsnes anytime soon.

So, BanonX, Dmog, Reznor007, what are we having for dinner again?Image
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Post by badinsults »

This idea is not happening. Cased closed. If you can't put up the code, then it will never be implemented.

This thread is locked.
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome