Sound improvements in ZSNES

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

Shinrin wrote:Some of these things that's gonna be fixed are gonna take a while to fix the music

2) Not every game had a usa release and are hard to obtain, though Tales of Phantasia shouldn't be a problem, but star ocean and ffV will be hard to obtain. due to lack of funds and such.
There are still some auctions for those games you listed on eBay. Heck, some are still in their original box. It's true that they cost a lot though.

Star Ocean w/ out box / Star Ocean w/ box

Final Fantasy 5 w/ box - Very cheap
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Why would we need the original carts to fix the sound issue ? This is silly.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
SquareHead
Veteran

Post by SquareHead »

grinvader wrote:Why would we need the original carts to fix the sound issue ? This is silly.
Agreed.

I take it the SPC700 is still the undocumented monster it always was?
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

grinvader wrote:Why would we need the original carts to fix the sound issue ? This is silly.
So you can be 100% legal and not using illegal ROMs?
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
ThunderClaw
I know where you live.

Post by ThunderClaw »

I can check up on some of the lesser-known Square-rapes if someone can remind me which games use it. My brain is fried recently and I can't remember what all used it. FF3 and CT are only a fraction of the issue.
FireKnight:I'm pretty sure a 1KG 24k gold brick costs less than that.

phonymike: well the same amount of raw metals used in a car costs a fraction of the price of a new car idiot. I'm gonna take away your posting privileges and replace them with my balls on your chin.

I smell spray paint.
Shinrin
Rookie

Post by Shinrin »

ThunderClaw wrote:I can check up on some of the lesser-known Square-rapes if someone can remind me which games use it. My brain is fried recently and I can't remember what all used it. FF3 and CT are only a fraction of the issue.
if i remember right.. super mario rpg was one.

of course if you could take the sound chip out of the snes and some how hook it up and get the programming of it, that would help people get the music and sounds working 100% correctly.. thus no need to by games that you can't understand.
[img]http://i533.photobucket.com/albums/ee335/mcsigshop/Shinrin.png[/img]
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

SquareHead wrote:I take it the SPC700 is still the undocumented monster it always was?
Not really... Check bsnes, everything is perfect (sound-wise).
Nightcrawler wrote:So you can be 100% legal and not using illegal ROMs?
We don't have to use ROMs to fix the sound core, we know what's wrong with it.

Updating it is just extremely painful, and pagefault is the only one who knows exactly what to modify, so he's getting all the shit to deal with.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
rumrum
Rookie

Post by rumrum »

My 2 cents... :roll:

In Chrono Trigger I have found (so far) 3 evil sounds:
The first is when Crono slashs... makes a odd noise with the actuall one. Really noticeable when you do a critical.

Next one is the monster cry one that others have talk'd about. Sounds really high pitch'd. :evil:

Final one I've noticed is when you kill some thing. The sound already there sorta hum's a bad fart or some thing. :shock:

I have test'd these with the most recent WIP 11/09

That is all. :)
BLARGH!
PFUNK
Rookie

Post by PFUNK »

I don't mean to come off as an asshole, but how much easier (and more accurate) is it to root out all of the bugs in the existing SPC engine than to port the "new" SPC core used by SNeES and bsnes (with permission of course for whomever is responsible)?

Off-topic: After playing through Chrono Trigger completely in ZSNES, the accurate monster "scream" as heard in bsnes seems strange and alien. I actually prefer ZSNES' inaccuracy.
I'm hot for you and you're hot for me ooka dooka dicka dee.
xamenus
Veteran

Post by xamenus »

PFUNK wrote:I don't mean to come off as an asshole, but how much easier (and more accurate) is it to root out all of the bugs in the existing SPC engine than to port the "new" SPC core used by SNeES and bsnes (with permission of course for whomever is responsible)?
IIRC, SNEeSe's sound core is is going to be used. See the first page of the bsnes thread in the emulator forum.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

In ZSNES there's some high-pitched sound in the background when Marle has disappeared (CT), but not in bsnes.

SRM file
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
SquareHead
Veteran

Post by SquareHead »

IceFox wrote:
PFUNK wrote:I don't mean to come off as an asshole, but how much easier (and more accurate) is it to root out all of the bugs in the existing SPC engine than to port the "new" SPC core used by SNeES and bsnes (with permission of course for whomever is responsible)?
IIRC, SNEeSe's sound core is is going to be used. See the first page of the bsnes thread in the emulator forum.
Not having looked at the source for any of the emu's, my thought is that it wouldnt be so easy to just 'borrow' someone else's sound core and tie it in would it?
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

It wouldn't.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

jdratlif
Regular

Post by jdratlif »

I just happened to be playing Final Fantasy III.

http://games.technoplaza.net/temp/ff3-terrascream.zip

Here's a ZST from the 1109 WIP just before Terra becomes an Esper.
http://jdrrant.blogspot.com/ - CODEpendent Blog
http://games.technoplaza.net/ - Emulation Goodies
pagefault
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by pagefault »

Thank you for all waiting and being patient. I have been busy with finals and whatnot but I have been working hard and and looking over the information you have given me and I have something that I will release soon that should please a lot of you.