Secret of Evermore graphics issue

A forum for admins and moderators to move verified bug posts to. Only move topics here if they are indeed verified bugs.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Holonet
Rookie

Secret of Evermore graphics issue

Post by Holonet »

Ok, I'm a bit confused on what's already known about and what's not... I looked through all the threads searching for "evermore" and I found another mention of a graphics bug (different one), and someone on there said it was mentioned before...yet I found no other threads of the sort...so I hope this isn't already known, but I did look...

Anyhoo, in the tunnel that eventually leads to Gothica, just after getting the Staff of Life from Horace, it's dark, and you just have this little light. On my machine, there's this annoying flashing going on, and I tried it on 1.40, same problem. I tried it yet again on 1.36, and when I tried to load the savestate, it crashed. So I'm presuming it's not build issue. With a bit of anticipation, I managed to catch a screenshot of it while in one of its epileptic flickers...

I see that, understandably, I must put a URL in for the image so you don't have to have space for uploads...so since I don't have a site, this just goes to a yahoo profile picture :-P...anyway...

http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/users/438b290c ... DB3A54qyFc
AMD Athlon XP 2600+ 2.08 GHz
1.50 GB PC2700 RAM
Radeon 9550 256 MB
SoundBlaster Live! (SB0220)
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

You can upload pictures to Photobucket or Imageshack.

The URL doesn't work for me.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

"404"

Nice use of it buddy :thumbsup:
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Holonet
Rookie

Post by Holonet »

Photobucket...yes, thank you... Ahem then...

http://photobucket.com/albums/d66/Holon ... re_Bug.jpg

EDIT: Just for good measure, here's what it looks like when it's not flickering:

http://photobucket.com/albums/d66/Holon ... _NoBug.jpg
1.50 GB PC2700 RAM
Radeon 9550 256 MB
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

Please post your ROM info using NSRT.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
Jipcy
Veteran

Post by Jipcy »

BTW, you can edit your first post to include the new URLs.

That flickering shot does look kinda cool. Like your dead and its the tunnel towards the light, or something.

Anyway, looks like maybe a windowing/layering problem? I dunno, that's a complete guess since I'm not a dev.

Is 1.40 the earliest version you were able to test this on? Because 1.36 crashed when you loaded the state?

Have you tried the game with the latest WIP? See my signature to download it.
[url=http://zsnes-docs.sf.net]Official ZSNES Docs[/url] | [url=http://zsnes-docs.sf.net/nsrt]NSRT Guide[/url] | [url=http://endoftransmission.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=394]Using a Wiimote w/ emulators[/url]
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

Seems like there's a problem with the Color Subtraction feature.

Anybody have a SRM / ZST?
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
Holonet
Rookie

Post by Holonet »

G'ah...ROM info, I'm forgetting everything..Not sure what you meant by the NSRT bit...but here's the stuff I know of from loading it in ZSNES.

Secret of Evermore (U)
Not interleaved
NTSC
Cheksum OK
CRC32:A5C0045E
Bank: Normal
Type: Hi
1.50 GB PC2700 RAM
Radeon 9550 256 MB
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

Jipcy wrote:Latest NSRT
NSRT should generate a report like this:

Code: Select all

---------------------Internal ROM Info----------------------
       File: Secret_of_Evermore_(U)_[!].smc
       Name: SECRET OF EVERMORE    Company: Square
     Header: SWC                      Bank: HiROM
Interleaved: No                       SRAM: 64 Kb
       Type: Normal + Batt             ROM: 24 Mb
  ROM Speed: 120ns (FastROM)       Version: 1.0
   Checksum: Good 0x33C2             CRC32: A5C0045E
--------------------------Database--------------------------
   Name: Secret of Evermore
 Port 1: Gamepad                 Port 2: Gamepad
Your CRC32 value matches, so your ROM seems to be OK.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
Holonet
Rookie

Post by Holonet »

Oh ok, thanks...I got the program...and umm...you've done the work for me, the ROM info you posted as an example is precisely what mine is, thanks :-P.
1.50 GB PC2700 RAM
Radeon 9550 256 MB
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

something i thougt of

is the zsnes v1.40 savestate format compatible with zsnes v1.36 because if its not then that could be why the game crashed.

this means youd have to play from scratch and get to the same location and save another savestate
SquareHead
Veteran

Post by SquareHead »

franpa_9 wrote:something i thougt of

is the zsnes v1.40 savestate format compatible with zsnes v1.36 because if its not then that could be why the game crashed.

this means youd have to play from scratch and get to the same location and save another savestate
Sometimes they are not compatible. But, if he's anywhere near someone who will let him sleep, and save, he can just use his SRM file (which will always be compatible).
Edit: Nevermind, he is in the caves. Did you try disabling the different layers? Or enabling the old gfx engine? Also, what version are you using? Does this happen with the latest WIP build?
Holonet
Rookie

Post by Holonet »

Ok I can get some of these out of the way... Yes, initially when I saw the bug, it was using the latest WIP build...that's what I was using before I tested it on 1.40. I did not try switching off background layers, as I figured if I have to play with one off, there's still a bug, but if it will help pinpoint the source of the problem, I will do that...and no, I didn't try the Old GFX engine. The caves are just a little intermediary between Crustacia and Gothica...not very long, so I could test using an SRM. Problem with that is, I just kept playing hehe...but no matter, it's not a terribly long game, and I wanted to go back and get some stuff I forgot since it had been a while anyway :-P. I'll get there and update this when I do.
1.50 GB PC2700 RAM
Radeon 9550 256 MB
SquareHead
Veteran

Post by SquareHead »

Holonet wrote:Ok I can get some of these out of the way... Yes, initially when I saw the bug, it was using the latest WIP build...that's what I was using before I tested it on 1.40. I did not try switching off background layers, as I figured if I have to play with one off, there's still a bug, but if it will help pinpoint the source of the problem, I will do that...and no, I didn't try the Old GFX engine. The caves are just a little intermediary between Crustacia and Gothica...not very long, so I could test using an SRM. Problem with that is, I just kept playing hehe...but no matter, it's not a terribly long game, and I wanted to go back and get some stuff I forgot since it had been a while anyway :-P. I'll get there and update this when I do.
I hated those caves, even when playing on the real snes. What was worse was when I tried mapping that damned ravine under the chessboard.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

SquareHead wrote:What was worse was when I tried mapping that damned ravine under the chessboard.
You only tried ? I still have my map.
Also the trading shit in nobilia. And the best place to buy the elements.

Anyway, about the states: from v0.6 to 1.36 they *should* be stable. Never actually checked if something was added or not.
After 1.36 consider yourself lucky if a state can be loaded in another version.

Use SRMs.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Holonet
Rookie

Post by Holonet »

Hehe cartography was always my strong point. The woods, I think it was just follow that stupid owl... But I do still have maps I made from Jurassic Park, to scale, with all the dinosaurs and items marked, by eye no less :-P. I also drew a grid of 3:4 boxes on paper and photocopied it, used a hilighter to make the outline of the dungeons in the original Legend of Zelda...all the stairs and everything marked...good times hehe. Anyhoo, the old gfx engine has no effect, and there's no issue if you disable background layer 1, so therein lies the bug. That, of course, takes the blackness away so you can see the whole area...ain't that a shame... If anyone still needs/wants SRMs to confirm the bug, e-mail me, and I'll shoot one back. I'm leaving a game there not far from the caves.
1.50 GB PC2700 RAM
Radeon 9550 256 MB
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

Holonet wrote:But I do still have maps I made from Jurassic Park, to scale, with all the dinosaurs and items marked, by eye no less :-P.
Heh, I did that for those "raptor caves" with the grey stone walls. So confusing. With no saves, those eggs, and only a "congratulations" message when you completed it, damn was that game unforgiving.
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
Holonet
Rookie

Post by Holonet »

Ack! Yes, I have those as well...I have everyplace in the game, I even was nerd enough to draw the outside shots of most of them :-P... But yes, my first copy of the Ratpor Nests was 4 pieces of paper taped so I could do all the damned twists and turns.
1.50 GB PC2700 RAM
Radeon 9550 256 MB
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

Holonet wrote:If anyone still needs/wants SRMs to confirm the bug, e-mail me, and I'll shoot one back. I'm leaving a game there not far from the caves.
Check your PMs. :wink:

Anyway, there's yousendit.com and others, which I can't remember right now. :?
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

Holonet wrote:But yes, my first copy of the Ratpor Nests was 4 pieces of paper taped so I could do all the damned twists and turns.
:D

That's exactly what I did too, I didn't realise how big it was gonna be when I started, so I had to tape more paper to the sides for a total of 4. I think I still have it somewhere. Ah, the memories.
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
SquareHead
Veteran

Post by SquareHead »

Holonet wrote:Ok I can get some of these out of the way... Yes, initially when I saw the bug, it was using the latest WIP build...that's what I was using before I tested it on 1.40. I did not try switching off background layers, as I figured if I have to play with one off, there's still a bug, but if it will help pinpoint the source of the problem, I will do that...and no, I didn't try the Old GFX engine. The caves are just a little intermediary between Crustacia and Gothica...not very long, so I could test using an SRM. Problem with that is, I just kept playing hehe...but no matter, it's not a terribly long game, and I wanted to go back and get some stuff I forgot since it had been a while anyway :-P. I'll get there and update this when I do.
Ok, got there myself, and on my own saves unsing the latest WIP. I can verify the flashing bug. I did however switch to the old gfx engine and the flashing went away. I'll be back in a little with with the NSRT info.
Holonet
Rookie

Post by Holonet »

At the extreme risk of awaking the thread Necromancer, I'm bumping this...but I think it's for a good reason...

To the admins... I notice there's a verified bug section. I've looked through it, and I don't see this thread in there. Just wondering if it was missed or something. I'm not much of a coder, but it seems like this would be useful information for unbaking the proverbial SNES cake.

A few people here have verified this bug, so anyway... If it helps, cheers, if not, terribly sorry :mrgreen:
1.50 GB PC2700 RAM
Radeon 9550 256 MB
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

There hasn't been any updates as of late. I cannot remember if this was fixed unless you have an srm before the event so I can check. I doubt it has been fixed at all though.

Yes, you did wake up the thread necromancer.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
whicker
Trooper

Post by whicker »

blackmyst wrote:
Holonet wrote:But yes, my first copy of the Ratpor Nests was 4 pieces of paper taped so I could do all the damned twists and turns.
:D

That's exactly what I did too, I didn't realise how big it was gonna be when I started, so I had to tape more paper to the sides for a total of 4. I think I still have it somewhere. Ah, the memories.
I just followed the right?hand wall from the south entrance. It may be cheating, but that's what the windows 95 maze screensaver did. Never did beat the fsking game on the real console... I couldn't find all the eggs in a reasonable rental time period.