XBOX360 controller works perfectly in ZSNES

Gamepad acting up? Keyboard not responding properly? Can't get that other user to work? Read and post about it here.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

whicker
Trooper

XBOX360 controller works perfectly in ZSNES

Post by whicker »

Just thought I'd let everyone know that the "Xbox360 for windows" controller that sits near all the other lesser PC game controllers in places such as Best Buy works perfectly in ZSNES. It seems as if it were built specifically for this purpose...

What's the catch? The damn thing is $45! Hopefully the price will go down, but as it stands the controller feels like an orgasm in my hands.

Blah, just be sure install what's on the CD and then calibrate the controller in Control Panel before attempting to use it.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

I'd personally just buy a regular XBox controller and buy a USB cable and splive the wires by color...

At least then I can be supported by anything 98 and above...

unlike that damn communist XBox 360 controller for windows which only works on NT 5.1 :x
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
gweedyj

Post by gweedyj »

i cant get my 360 controller to work!
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

gweedyj: First off, you trying to use it on 2000 or lower ? iirc the XBox 360 pad supports Windows NT 5.1 (AKA XP for the non-nerds...)

And did you calibrate it like whicker said to ?
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Ichinisan
Veteran

Post by Ichinisan »

What's wrong with making a standard HID-compliant gamepad with force feedback enabled by optional driver? Fuck Microsoft.

Anyway, the D-Pad is still not precise enough for games like Tetris Attack. Nintendo excels in this with exception for the GBA and Gamecube.
LDAWG
Lurker

Post by LDAWG »

Side note... the D-Pad works great on the Nintendo DS.
Mario Kart: DS, Mario 64: DS, and Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow are proof of this.
Now... we just need Guilty Gear: DS to be released, to put it to it's final test :)
whicker
Trooper

Post by whicker »

Ichinisan wrote:What's wrong with making a standard HID-compliant gamepad with force feedback enabled by optional driver? Fuck Microsoft.

Anyway, the D-Pad is still not precise enough for games like Tetris Attack. Nintendo excels in this with exception for the GBA and Gamecube.
Honestly, I don't know either. And it's stupid to only have drivers for XP.

The only thing I can think of is that optional headset you can plug into the bottom of the controller messing things up. But even then, they could have two devices get detected on plugin, a HID compliant gamepad and a USB headset.

Because I have XP, and because the D-pad is pretty darn good considering the crap I have put up with in the past, I still think this is an excellent controller.

meh, somebody will come along and make drivers for 2000 or 98 or linux eventually...
Jipcy
Veteran

Post by Jipcy »

For the record, save your damn $5 and get the XBox 360 Wired Controller for the XBox 360, sitting there near all the other lesser console controllers. It will work too. Who needs a driver CD when you have Windows Update?
whicker wrote:meh, somebody will come along and make drivers for 2000 or 98 or linux eventually...
Doubt it, seeing as how all items involved here are manufactured by Microsoft. If they really want to make the controller XP-compatible only, they might, say, install anti-drivers in the other OSs, preventing use of the controller. Just my speculation, anyway.
[url=http://zsnes-docs.sf.net]Official ZSNES Docs[/url] | [url=http://zsnes-docs.sf.net/nsrt]NSRT Guide[/url] | [url=http://endoftransmission.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=394]Using a Wiimote w/ emulators[/url]
Ichinisan
Veteran

Post by Ichinisan »

LDAWG wrote:Side note... the D-Pad works great on the Nintendo DS.
Mario Kart: DS, Mario 64: DS, and Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow are proof of this.
Now... we just need Guilty Gear: DS to be released, to put it to it's final test :)
Tetris Attack is the true test of D-Pad accuracy and sensitivity. Coming soon to the USA as "Dr. Mario & Puzzle League" (2 games, 1 cart)
ReRuss
Trooper

Post by ReRuss »

Always could just use a normal 360 controller with 3rd party drivers...

Or just us an actual SNES pad on ZSNES if you're worried about the d-pad...
[img]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/ReRuss/UBAR.gif[/img]
360 and PS3 - ReRuss
Ichinisan
Veteran

Post by Ichinisan »

ReRuss wrote:Always could just use a normal 360 controller with 3rd party drivers...

I've been wondering... What do the controller ports look like on the XBOX 360? Are they not standard USB ports? If you adapt a standard XBOX 360 controller to a PC, will it not work with Windows XP?

Are you confident that there actually *is* a third-party driver available for the standard XBOX 360 controller, or are you confusing this with the standard XBOX controller?
ReRuss
Trooper

Post by ReRuss »

Ichinisan wrote:
ReRuss wrote:Always could just use a normal 360 controller with 3rd party drivers...

I've been wondering... What do the controller ports look like on the XBOX 360? Are they not standard USB ports? If you adapt a standard XBOX 360 controller to a PC, will it not work with Windows XP?

Are you confident that there actually *is* a third-party driver available for the standard XBOX 360 controller, or are you confusing this with the standard XBOX controller?
It's standard USB

And there are actually 2 different drivers I know of , 1 is 360CD (or somthin similer, I'd have to find it) and the other they actually want $20 for and supposed to support a bunch of controllers , 360 being in that list

From a 360 news site
Following on the tail of the story below, here's another way to force your Xbox 360 equipment to play nice with your other gadgets. This time we're talking about getting your Xbox 360 controller to be recognized and operate properly on your Windows PC. The program that makes this all possible is Pinnacle Game Profiler by KALiNKOsoft.

As soon as you fire up Pinnacle Game Profile, it will recognize your Xbox 360 controller and start the collaboration wizard. This is a very simple process in which you will be prompted to move the analog sticks in certain directions and also give you the option to adjust the deadzone for them. That’s right - one of the first things you do is fix the near non-existent deadzone. I knew from this point, Pinnacle was the answer I was looking for.
Link to that program - http://www.pinnaclegameprofiler.com/

I havn't read up or DLed any of teh drivers to verify if it works with the wireless controllers WITH the play n charge kits , but it'd be handy if it did since the majority who bought 360 wanted platinum (which came with wireless)

I'll look around for that free program/drivers I found too

EDIT - Seems M$ makes one - http://download.microsoft.com/download/ ... 360Eng.exe

Also seems it's just a standard wired 360 controller , and ya have to get the driver from them anyway , but their driver doesnt support a deadzone setting , meaning the slightest touch on an analog and you're goin that direction , but I could of sworn I seen a 3rd party driver besides teh 2 above , if I find it I'll post it
360 and PS3 - ReRuss
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Yo ReRuss, do you know if they make XBox (regular) drivers ?

I ask because you can mod your XBox to where it has a USB plug instead of an XBox plug (to where you can plug it into a PC), and I bought a XBox controller for this purpose :D
NSRT here.
ReRuss
Trooper

Post by ReRuss »

Yep

It's what I do actually

XBOX Controller Driver - http://www.xbox-hacks.net/download/pc/d ... CDv106.exe
360 and PS3 - ReRuss
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Dude

Thanks a lot

You da man

:D

ps now you just restored all my motivation to try the mod again, not to mention I don't have to get them from i-hacked.net, which i fuckin hate with a passion :x

EDIT: Just modded my xbox controller, used the drivers ReRuss provided, and it actually works like a charm. o.o :)

heh this is actually worthy of putting on my site...
NSRT here.
linedriveking22
Rookie

Post by linedriveking22 »

OK, i dont get this, how do you use the 360 controller. does one of the controllers just plug into the computer? i dont have one but my neighbor does.

With the known fact out there that i dont have a 360 why would you want to play super nintendo on your computer when you could be playin xbox360???

anyways overall question how do you use the 360 controller on your computer? anyone have step by step instructions?

out,
linedriveking22

ps i have windows XP
Ichinisan
Veteran

Post by Ichinisan »

linedriveking22 wrote:...why would you want to play super nintendo on your computer when you could be playin xbox360???
Are you serious?! There is not a single XBOX360 game that interests me enough to invest my valuable time. I'm not saying that there never will be, but I get far more pleasure from the current generation of PC games and my classic 8/16-bit games.
linedriveking22 wrote:anyways overall question how do you use the 360 controller on your computer? anyone have step by step instructions?

out,
linedriveking22

ps i have windows XP
You must have the hard wired (non-wireless) XBOX 360 controller and download the software to make it work with Windows XP.
linedriveking22
Rookie

Post by linedriveking22 »

You must have the hard wired (non-wireless) XBOX 360 controller and download the software to make it work with Windows XP.
what is the software to make it work on XP, and where can i download it?

thanks,
linedriveking22[/quote]
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

How about going to Microsoft.com. :roll:
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
Jipcy
Veteran

Post by Jipcy »

[url=http://zsnes-docs.sf.net]Official ZSNES Docs[/url] | [url=http://zsnes-docs.sf.net/nsrt]NSRT Guide[/url] | [url=http://endoftransmission.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=394]Using a Wiimote w/ emulators[/url]
dukeofwulf

Post by dukeofwulf »

Okay, I've been having problems getting my controller installed. It's very important, since the only other controller I have is an ancient Sidewinder that's designed like a Genesis controller and has a D-pad like the original X-box controller (i.e., shitty).

So, even though I had already found and used the Xbox360Eng.exe file last night, I followed Jipcy's link and happily found some documentation. But all it did is confirm that something is amiss, because after I use the exe file, the controller profile still doesn't show up in the game controllers config window list. I looked in the "add" list as well, and nothing has changed there since the install. I tried unplugging and plugging the controller to trigger a response; though the computer makes the "new hardware" sound blip, the menu doesn't change. Help!
Ichinisan
Veteran

Post by Ichinisan »

Check the device manager. Look for an "!", "?" or "x"
dukeofwulf

Post by dukeofwulf »

Yes, I have a question mark for the USB device. Now what? It's basically leading me down the same path again.
dukeofwulf

Post by dukeofwulf »

Uh... i tinkered, and now it's got a little speaker with an ! in yellow over it, and it's listed under sound, video, and game controllers. progress, or not? Apparently if I unplug and replug the controller it switches back to how it was before, just the USB device with the ? in front.
dukeofwulf

Post by dukeofwulf »

In one USB port, it says that the driver has not been installed. In the other, it says that it hasn't been configured correctly.

BTW, I am in XP, but am using the wireless version with the play-and-charge kit to connect to the computer. Is it possible that the USB on the play-and-charge can't also transmit signals from the controller to the computer? That they'd use USB to charge the controller without bothering to allow it to transfer other signals? ...The cord has that funny little cylinder dongle like that which is on either end of the original Xbox controller... not the break-away part, but the other two pieces. So I would assume that is involved in controller function, not charging.

No rush, AFK, be back 2nite.
Last edited by dukeofwulf on Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.