Not sure about this but... a request. Don't kill me for it.

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Bahamut_ZERO_Clue

Not sure about this but... a request. Don't kill me for it.

Post by Bahamut_ZERO_Clue »

I know the Game Genie can't be emulated BUT since Galoob did use a ROM which is available from most ROM archives, much like BS-X from Nintendo, why not have it able to be used like the BS-X BIOS but with a toggle to enable or disable it being loaded before the game ROM is loaded, and a Hot Key for in game switching on/off.

Not too much a request mind you and very ethical. Some codes for games will only respond to the on/off toggle and sometimes the cheat system ZSnes uses by default doesn't perform this properly. I'm not saying that I want the default system gone but a viable alternative to try out now and then.
The Sage Of Time
Hazed

Post by The Sage Of Time »

Your request is a little overly complicated.
To simplify it, you should have just said "How about a hotkey that toggles current GG\AR codes on and off?" Which is basically what it boils down to.. And not a bad request either. But I've never needed to do this, and for all I know, something like this might already exist in ZSNES.
SquareHead
Veteran

Post by SquareHead »

The Sage Of Time wrote:Your request is a little overly complicated.
To simplify it, you should have just said "How about a hotkey that toggles current GG\AR codes on and off?" Which is basically what it boils down to.. And not a bad request either. But I've never needed to do this, and for all I know, something like this might already exist in ZSNES.
You can toggle the codes on and off, but not bind that to a key. I think his problem is that some codes misbehave.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

It would be nice to have examples of the cheat feature not working...

The Game Genie itself isn't as useful because it would only hold 5 codes... whereas the cheat feature that is already implemented in ZSNES can hold lots more (I don't have an exact number, but it is definately greater than 5.)

A cheat key toggle would be nice....
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Anime-niac
Rookie

Post by Anime-niac »

I think the current limit for codes in ZSNES is 255.

Yes, a cheat key toggle would be nice. It's a major hassle having to go into the cheat menu to disable all codes. Having a bound key that could enable/disable all codes would make it alot easier. The devs have the final say as to the feasability of doing something like this.
Bahamut_ZERO_Clue

Well primary example...

The Mega Money, Experience, and Items code for Final Fantasy 2 (US) requires usage of the on/off toggle switch to stop the build up loop of experience points, money, and items after beating enemies, works with the original Game Genie, but it doesn't work with the ZSnes Cheat System.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Ah.. dude, the code works on the latest WIP and 1.42.

DF30-076E - this is the code right? I hope you are using the 1.0 version of the ROM (I did not test it on the 1.1 version yet).

If you weren't aware of it, you can toggle codes off/on by highlighting it and see the ON change into OFF and vice versa...

Edit: It clearly fails to work in the 1.1 version of the ROM. (Blame it on Nintendo for wanting to prevent people from using the Game Genie.)
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Xane

Post by Xane »

Why not just make your own code? Its not that hard man. I made my own for unlimited items in slot 1, Max money, Fast EXP gain. It was interesting to see Cecil the dark Knight at level 99 ;)
X marks the spot.
Bahamut_ZERO_Clue

Well that solved the problem. I have version 1.1 but I really don't need the code. I DLed a copy of 1.0 and it worked after all. Oh well... the idea still seems nice however for accurate emulation of add-on periphrials, but if it's not neccessary or needed then by all means ignore this.
The Sage Of Time
Hazed

It is honestly quite a fruitless effort to emulate the Game Genie in the sense you're talking about.. As it stands now, the error you mentioned was on your own part anyway. A key-binding to turn on and off current codes is a justifiable request in my opinion, but going to unnecessary lengths to emulate an add-on like that is not.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Bahamut_ZERO_939 wrote:Oh well... the idea still seems nice however for accurate emulation of add-on periphrials, but if it's not neccessary or needed then by all means ignore this.
The Game Genie is effectively a hardware version of ZSNES's cheat modifier. The code is essentially translated into the appropriate memory address+value that it is told to modify.

It is pointless to emulate the Game Genie ROM's functionality.. when effectively all ZSNES actually has to do is translate the code into the appropriate data (which is effectively what the Game Genie does in the first place). I wouldn't worry about this... it really does not matter.
SquareHead
Veteran

Post by SquareHead »

At least there were no requests lately to emulate the super gameboy.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Deathlike2 wrote: Edit: It clearly fails to work in the 1.1 version of the ROM. (Blame it on Nintendo for wanting to prevent people from using the Game Genie.)
I wouldn't blame it on them. You make changes, code moves around. They'd have to go out of their way to make a new version work with the Game Genie, and why would they go nuts for such a thing?

And if you were thinking, hey maybe they only made a new version so they can move code around, not true, as people have pointed out which bugs were fixed by various revisions.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Nach wrote:I wouldn't blame it on them. You make changes, code moves around. They'd have to go out of their way to make a new version work with the Game Genie, and why would they go nuts for such a thing?

And if you were thinking, hey maybe they only made a new version so they can move code around, not true, as people have pointed out which bugs were fixed by various revisions.
You meant "not work" with the Game Genie right? They would do it under Nintendo's request...

I'm not saying a new revision doesn't encompass any fixes (which I haven't really noticed between the versions in FF2 and FF3), but it does effectively counter the Game Genie.

If I recall correctly.. I believe there as a "revision" of the Game Genie that worked on the later versions... but I don't know whether there were different codes and/or different translations of the same Game Genie codes... hmmm.. I probably should dig up the old Game Genie articles...
The Sage Of Time
Hazed

Deathlike2 wrote:
Nach wrote:I wouldn't blame it on them. You make changes, code moves around. They'd have to go out of their way to make a new version work with the Game Genie, and why would they go nuts for such a thing?

You meant "not work" with the Game Genie right? They would do it under Nintendo's request...

I'm not saying a new revision doesn't encompass any fixes (which I haven't really noticed between the versions in FF2 and FF3), but it does effectively counter the Game Genie.

If I recall correctly.. I believe there as a "revision" of the Game Genie that worked on the later versions... but I don't know whether there were different codes and/or different translations of the same Game Genie codes... hmmm.. I probably should dig up the old Game Genie articles...
Nintendo was against Game Genie, yeah. But what Nach is saying is; when new game revisions come out.. Previous codes just cannot be expected to work. The same applies with any other cheat device as well.

Reason should be obvious. The game-data was modified to fix or alter something in the gameplay, even if minor this is enough to throw off the RAM (or whatever else) the code was suppose to alter.. Thus, a new code is needed. (And probably just as easy to create.) It honestly has nothing to do with Nintendo or anyone wanting to work around the Game Genie.
CyberBotX
Lurker

Post by CyberBotX »

There's also the fact that 1) Nintendo didn't make the Game Genie, and 2) (At least in this case) Nintendo didn't make Final Fantasy 2, Square did. So I really doubt Nintendo had 100% say in changing games they didn't make.
[url=http://www.cyberbotx.com/]SNES Sprite Animations[/url], made by an Insane Killer Robot.
I'm a computer programmer (in C++) and a future game designer.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Deathlike2 wrote:

You meant "not work" with the Game Genie right?
No, I mean work.
Deathlike2 wrote: They would do it under Nintendo's request...
Uh huh, sure :roll:
That's just a stupid rumor started by ignorant people.

And there were no later Game Genie to 'fix' things. They just made new codes. You can see the old and new codes on my website.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by Shadow-Forever »

Xane wrote:Why not just make your own code? Its not that hard man. I made my own for unlimited items in slot 1, Max money, Fast EXP gain. It was interesting to see Cecil the dark Knight at level 99 ;)
How the hell do you make your OWN codes? please tell i would love to know
i play FF3 and i need to know somegood codes that work for 1.42 ZSNES or know how to make some codes for FF3
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

I'm prety sure it goes over that in the documentation.
xamenus
Veteran

Post by xamenus »

Maybe this will suffice instead. Something I have in my bookmarks:

http://www.world-of-nintendo.com/pro_ac ... super_nes/

EDIT: Oops, didn't see Nach's reference to his Game Genie list on his site. My link has PAR codes, though.
Last edited by xamenus on Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Good list dude :D
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Nach wrote:And there were no later Game Genie to 'fix' things. They just made new codes. You can see the old and new codes on my website.
You're saying they had newer manuals... that makes more sense.
Shadow-Forever

Post by Shadow-Forever »

is there an more updated FF3 codes? and also where does it say about making your own codes?
Truth Unknown
Regular

Post by Truth Unknown »

Shadow-Forever wrote:is there an more updated FF3 codes? ...
There should be, Google for some.
Shadow-Forever wrote:... and also where does it say about making your own codes?
Have you checked the Documentation in the first place?
Shadow-Forever

Post by Shadow-Forever »

I'v googled my ass off trying to find some updated or codes that work and wth is this documentation????