Alternative netplay idea and yes it's GNU/GPL.

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Bahamut_ZERO_Clue

Alternative netplay idea and yes it's GNU/GPL.

Post by Bahamut_ZERO_Clue »

I did a search right now of possible GNU/GPL licensed projects and came up with several results that would work effectively with ZSnes's license and not cause problems especially one which is OS independant, named EmuLinker right here on sourceforge. I had read the post where it had been disabled in the latest WIPs and did some research. I'm not sure how this would pan out but it's an idea that could be useful and is license compatible for once. I looks to be based on Kaillera style networking but is fully open source and somewhat Java based.
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

I think the devs won't support anything that is related with Kaillera, but it would be nice to hear their opinion about this.
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

He said it looks like it's based off Kaillera, but as long as this isn't anything to do with Kaillera, and is GPL'ed, imo it shouldn't matter...

But yes as Joe said, it's best if the devs give their opinions...
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

This is not an opinion, but the truth.
Emulinker has nothing to do with adding netplay to a client.
Do more research next time instead of just refering to the name of the project.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Okay Nach and all developers who want a piece of raw meat to chew on then PLEASE explain to me why a GNU/GPL licensed emulation projects like Gens is using Kaillera very effectively and is not having issues with their license and only ZSnes is?

From this view point... It makes no sense!
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Bahamut_ZERO_939 wrote:Okay Nach and all developers who want a piece of raw meat to chew on then PLEASE explain to me why a GNU/GPL licensed emulation projects like Gens is using Kaillera very effectively and is not having issues with their license and only ZSnes is?

From this view point... It makes no sense!
This is not related to the rest of the thread, but Gens is violating the GPL by linking with Kaillera.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Yes but how... I love full explainations.
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

techincally, Kalliera won't fix anything concering netplay with zsnes/snes9x, adding it would break things even more.

Legally... a GPL project can only link with other GPL'd(or GPL compatible licenced) projects.

A individual can give permssions for his GPL'd code to be used in a non-GPL project; there is no legal method for a GPL'd project to include non-GPL code.
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.
pagefault
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by pagefault »

We have a full netplay specification in action right now in the ZMV files. We ill take that code and use to transmit it effeciciently over the net. Kailleria has a lot of security issues that I have learned from a friend who has reverse engineered the server. Lots of very nasty stuff that allows people to cheat easily. I don't think we would want to use this protocol even if it works. The best thing to do is take what we know that works and combine our ultra-efficient ZMV code by Nach and grinvader and put it in packet form. This would be the easiest and probably the most secure. But we can work on making it more secure later. But it would allow anything you record in movies to happen in netplay, in fact you will be able to save netplay movies. We just have some core issues to take care of before we can finally get a release build out for people to test and do the main networking code. But the actualy game code is already done in the ZMV code.
Gospel
Hazed

Post by Gospel »

Could saving the chat log during netplay be possible during a movie record?
Player1
Hazed

Post by Player1 »

Possible is everything, the question is only how hard it would be
pagefault
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by pagefault »

The issue is not finding an API to do the netplay. We have to correct some issues in the core before we can do the netplay. The netplay code is the easy part.