VBA-M

Announce new emulators, discuss which games run best under each emulator, and much much more.

Moderator: General Mods

mudlord
has wat u liek

Post by mudlord »

GLSL fragment shaders should work on cards that support DX9-class shaders. Video cards that support DX8-class shaders are not supported. I will see about adding extra checks so that it handles them more gracefully than it is now.

And also...x64 support is now in Windows builds. I think Nach did some work with Linux x64 too :).
kick
Trooper

Post by kick »

With the latest batch of D3D fixes (SVN build 260) Spacy thinks he has fixed all known bugs in the D3D9 renderer...

...all but this one: http://www.stashbox.org/57834/VBA_Direc ... isplay.png

mudlord,could you report this one to Spacy? I can't post in the NGEmu forums for some weird reason.
[i]Have a nice kick in da nutz[/i] @~@* c//
mudlord
has wat u liek

Post by mudlord »

I'll chat about this to Spacy when I can.
ShadowFX
Regular

Post by ShadowFX »

I'm sure someone has already brought this up, but the GUI is not showing in fullscreen (D3D and OGL API). Is there a GUI rewrite in progress or so? Thought I'd mention it here anyway. Keep it up, VBA is doing great!
[i]"Change is inevitable; progress is optional"[/i]
mudlord
has wat u liek

Post by mudlord »

Yeah, there has been talk about a GUI rewrite into something Qt4-based, but im not too sure on the progress in that, although Spacy shown a little interest. I know Nach and I discussed this quite a bit on IRC though.
but the GUI is not showing in fullscreen (any API).
Yep, we know about this. Mainly, this was done to boost speed of switching modes, since there's no need to mess with GDI to render the screen menu AND render the output in the chosen API.
spacy51
VBA Ex-developer
VBA Ex-developer

Post by spacy51 »

kick wrote:With the latest batch of D3D fixes (SVN build 260) Spacy thinks he has fixed all known bugs in the D3D9 renderer...

...all but this one: http://www.stashbox.org/57834/VBA_Direc ... isplay.png

mudlord,could you report this one to Spacy? I can't post in the NGEmu forums for some weird reason.
Hi there!

Could you please tell me from what game that screenshot is?

I don't think it really matters, but somehow I can't reproduce this issue. Even though I fully trust you that it is there because I also had that months ago.

Do you use an ATI or NVIDIA card? I use NVIDIA and can't see it, but it's very possible that ATI is just more accurate.
ShadowFX
Regular

Post by ShadowFX »

I edited on the last moment, I am getting the GUI in DD, just not in the other APIs.

Correct me if I'm wrong but is the fullscreen GUI not coming back? I've been using it quite frequently in that mode.
[i]"Change is inevitable; progress is optional"[/i]
spacy51
VBA Ex-developer
VBA Ex-developer

Post by spacy51 »

Since Microsoft dropped support for GDI objects in fullscreen more or less in Direct3D (issues with VSync), I decided to handle the full screen menu like Project64 does: Set things up, run in windowed, switch to full screen, play, switch back, change settings ...

To make things short: It's a feature ;)
escapee
Rookie

Post by escapee »

I think you're aware, but just in case; any filter + ogl and attempting to go fullscreen = crash.

Also, something weird; If you set ogl on first run (before the ini is generated I guess) and go to set up an input device, crash. Deleting the ini reproduces this, of course.
kick
Trooper

Post by kick »

Hi,Spacy.
Nice to see you posting in this thread :)
The screenshots are from the sound player screen of Mother 3 (J).
As you can see from the third screenshot (D3D_deformed_display.png),the polygons that construct the image are off by 1 or 2 pixels,making the image slightly deformed.
This happens mostly with ATI cards when using the D3D9 renderer.OpenGL and DDraw don't have this glitch.
I hope this information helps you in finding and fixing the issue.
Last edited by kick on Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:12 am, edited 3 times in total.
mudlord
has wat u liek

Post by mudlord »

I think you're aware, but just in case; any filter + ogl and attempting to go fullscreen = crash.
Yes, I am aware. I must really disable that "Custom" res option in OGL mode....Logic denotes that if any grayed out resolution options in OpenGL mode are there, filters will not work. In addition, fullscreen support is incomplete in OGL mode, which complicates things.

Also, something weird; If you set ogl on first run (before the ini is generated I guess) and go to set up an input device, crash. Deleting the ini reproduces this, of course.
Nothing I can really do of that. I really should force the emulator to shut down OR restart when moving to OpenGL...
Last edited by mudlord on Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spacy51
VBA Ex-developer
VBA Ex-developer

D3D fix, SVN261

Post by spacy51 »

I hope I corrected that diagonal line.

Get the current build and tell me if it is still there.

It seems like NVIDIA drivers correct that mistake for themselves, so there's no way I can check it with my 8800GT or 6200 TC ^^
Last edited by spacy51 on Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kick
Trooper

Re: D3D fix, SVN261

Post by kick »

I tried the latest build and found yet another bug:

http://stashbox.org/69517/text_offset_bug.png

After selecting a directory,the location text displayed in the textbox is moved way to the right.
The starting position of the caret in the empty textbox is inverted (no,I'm not using RTL language input :) )

spacy51 wrote:I hope I corrected that diagonal line.
Not only the diagonal line is fixed,but this is probably the smoothest build of VBA ever.
The Direct3D renderer now runs rock-solid with both VSync and HQ filters enabled.All of this with OpenAL set to 3 buffers and the sound is still smooth without glitches.
Frameskipping,tearing and glitches are a thing of the past.It performs much faster than even DirectDraw (DDraw would choke with these settings) :)

You've done a wonderful job,Spacy. :thumbs up:
spacy51
VBA Ex-developer
VBA Ex-developer

Post by spacy51 »

Thank you very much for thanking me ^^

The directory text-boxes being right-aligned should actually be a feature as well. I thought of the scenario when you have your emulation stuff in a very long path so that the text-box is full. You would only see your base directory when looking at the text boxes, but not the decisive folders where the data is in.

Yes, it looks strange, so I might revert it to default behavior every one is used to if you insist.
Last edited by spacy51 on Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mudlord
has wat u liek

Post by mudlord »

Update:
-Done more work on the OpenGL renderer, now implementing hardware motion blur (to make it in line with Spacy's HW blur filter support). It will use glCopyTexImage2D based techniques so that it should work well on low-end video cards, instead of framebuffer objects for render to texture.

..And redoing shader support at the same time, while fixing the last remaining bugs. These renderer updates will be put into SVN when I can, but I'm quite busy on other things too.

-Also, SDL port now should compile on MacOSX too fine...changes are in SVN, and are minor.
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

Post by neo_bahamut1985 »

Uh, Spacy51? Your link doesn't work.
俺はテメエの倒す男だ! 宜しく! お前はもう死んでいる...
mudlord
has wat u liek

Post by mudlord »

Sorry bout that. I did some changes to the site structure to allow for better administration, and it broke Spacy's link

Here's working links for SVN compiles:
http://vba-m.ngemu.com/vbam/vbacompiles/
http://vba-m.ngemu.com/vbam/vbacompilesx86-64/
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

Thanks. Quick question, my current CPU is 64-bit, but my OS isn't. What would running the x86-64 version do?
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

neo_bahamut1985 wrote:Thanks. Quick question, my current CPU is 64-bit, but my OS isn't. What would running the x86-64 version do?
It won't work. Such binaries (64-bit versions of the same app) need to be run on a 64-bit OS.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

Gotcha
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

is there any page around with a general overview of what this emulator is, can do, is aiming for etc.

like are you guys working on stability, accuracy, features, etc. and what makes it different from other GBA emus etc.
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

One thing I notice (and it's hard not to) is the much crisper/clearer sound emulation.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

spacy51 wrote:Yes, it looks strange, so I might revert it to default behavior every one is used to if you insist.
is it possible to make it a option? i would prefer it being right aligned for the reasons you give. maybe a toggle that goes from the start of the path to the end? just like pressing 'home' and 'end' on your keyboard?
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
kick
Trooper

Post by kick »

Panzer88 wrote:is there any page around with a general overview of what this emulator is, can do, is aiming for etc.

like are you guys working on stability, accuracy, features, etc. and what makes it different from other GBA emus etc.
All the information you need is available here and HERE

The complete changelog is here: https://vbam.bountysource.com/svn/!hist ... revision=0

(don't click on that link,but copy-paste the url in your browser's URLbar and hit ENTER.The board's software isn't capable of creating links with such URL syntax)
blargg
Regular

Post by blargg »

(don't click on that link,but copy-paste the url in your browser's URLbar and hit ENTER.The board's software isn't capable of creating links with such URL syntax)
Yes it is, you just have to encode the URL properly.