The limitations of ZSNES

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

kumakouji
Rookie

Post by kumakouji »

whicker wrote:sony VAIO laptops are trash.

no seriously, they suck.

/opinion
Why? or is it asking you too much to back up your opinions?

ps. Mods, if this is going too off topic, just say and i'll get back to talking about my zsnes problem only.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

kumakouji wrote:is there anyway to slow the game down to 50fps?
You can force a region in the "Load game" dialog (and on the command line as well, afair). This might break the game though.

Using a PAL version would be the best solution. The SRM files should be compatible.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
byuu

Post by byuu »

I'll reply to this.

Back when I was buying a laptop I tried out a Sony VAIO. It was pretty bad, so I had to return it. I got an HP instead and loved it.

Here's what I hated about it: first off, the cost was $1600, whereas the HP was $1300. Next (this was a long time ago so obviously the opinion isn't still totally valid), it had a DSTN display instead of a TFT one. NEVER watch a DVD on a DSTN display. Next, the hardware components were cheaper. I had a crappy Intel onboard graphics chip that couldn't handle much of anything, whereas the HP came with an ATI mobility or somesuch. The sound card on the sony was an AC'97, whereas the HP had a Sound Blaster or something (it sounded noticeably less staticey when you had the volume up high). The HP also had TV-out, whereas the Sony just had a useless (at least at the time) IEEE-1394 port instead. The Sony lacked the 56k modem whereas the HP had that. Both had the LAN port. The Sony came with a NiMH battery, the HP with a LiON. Probably due to the DSTN, I could NOT get the Sony to be viewable outside with the sun out. It was just too dark. The Sony was also noticeably heavier, even without the CDROM+floppy bay.
The only thing I liked more about the Sony was the fact that the bottom piece came off (the CDROM + floppy), reducing power usage. But other than that, the Sony was way overpriced compared to similar laptops.
The Sony did have a better processor (+100mhz), plus I really liked the undocking feature, which is why I went with it. Ultimately it was my fault for not price shopping and comparing the specs.

And this overpricing is typical of most Sony technology, excluding their game consoles. I can't imagine their newer laptops will be any better with cost vs quality. But obviously I haven't tried one in years now, so what do I know? Just my two cents.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Re: The limitations of ZSNES

Post by Nach »

kumakouji wrote: However, The pentium 4 I have is designed especially for laptops though, I thought that was a given, sorry I didnt point that out : http://www.intel.com/products/processor ... /index.htm
As is mine.
kumakouji wrote: Which, in your opinion, would be better: Mobile pentium 4 3.06GHZ or Pentium M 2Gz?
Being that a Pentium M 1.6 GHz beat my Mobile pentium 4 2.6 GHz. Meaning that 1.6 GHz of M gives it at least an extra GHz of "oomph" compared to the P4, that would stand to reason another 400 MHz (1600/4) would give an extra 250 MHz of "oomph" (1000/4). That would bring the total of a Pentium M 2 GHz to be somewhere on the level of a P4 3.25 GHz CPU.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by whicker »

kumakouji wrote:
no seriously, they suck.

/opinion
ps. Mods, if this is going too off topic, just say and i'll get back to talking about my zsnes problem only.
At work I bounce around between 3 different notebook computers: A really old Toshiba Satellite laptop (wtf?), an old Pentium Gateway 2000, and a recent Celeron M Dell Laptop.

The touchpad on my boss's boss's old Sony laptop broke, so instead of getting it fixed, he bought the most expensive Sony Vaio he could find. Now it came with all sorts of crap installed, as most do, but this one out of the box was crashy and unstable. Have you ever come across a laptop that would completely ignore Start -> Turn off Computer -> Shut Down?

It would not connect to the network after being configured because by default it was blocking everything. It kept shutting down drivers and programs under DEP, and I had to turn that shit off. It would not burn CD's (granted we only tried it with Window's own built-in CD burning).

Comparing the construction of the VAIO to the others I work with each day, I'd be afraid to sneeze near it. The case is so smooth it's slippery. It creaked when I typed on it.

Sound eminated from the speaker every time the CD or HDD or USB bus did something, even louder than the Dell I use daily. The screen matched the brightness of the old '486 STN Satellite plus the glare from such a smooth screen made it reflect stray light like a mirror. In comparison, the Gateway has one of the most beautifully vivid TFT LCD screen I've ever seen in a laptop (blues and reds are amazing), in-store or in the wild, too bad it's only 800x600.

The Dell 600m I used was purchased for dirt-cheap ($700-$800) while I can only imagine how much the VAIO cost my boss's bos... err, his company.
Last edited by whicker on Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
kumakouji
Rookie

Post by kumakouji »

byuusan wrote:
I'll reply to this.

Back when I was buying a laptop I tried out a Sony VAIO. It was pretty bad, so I had to return it. I got an HP instead and loved it.

Here's what I hated about it: first off, the cost was $1600, whereas the HP was $1300. Next (this was a long time ago so obviously the opinion isn't still totally valid), it had a DSTN display instead of a TFT one. NEVER watch a DVD on a DSTN display. Next, the hardware components were cheaper. I had a crappy Intel onboard graphics chip that couldn't handle much of anything, whereas the HP came with an ATI mobility or somesuch. The sound card on the sony was an AC'97, whereas the HP had a Sound Blaster or something (it sounded noticeably less staticey when you had the volume up high). The HP also had TV-out, whereas the Sony just had a useless (at least at the time) IEEE-1394 port instead. The Sony lacked the 56k modem whereas the HP had that. Both had the LAN port. The Sony came with a NiMH battery, the HP with a LiON. Probably due to the DSTN, I could NOT get the Sony to be viewable outside with the sun out. It was just too dark. The Sony was also noticeably heavier, even without the CDROM+floppy bay.
The only thing I liked more about the Sony was the fact that the bottom piece came off (the CDROM + floppy), reducing power usage. But other than that, the Sony was way overpriced compared to similar laptops.
The Sony did have a better processor (+100mhz), plus I really liked the undocking feature, which is why I went with it. Ultimately it was my fault for not price shopping and comparing the specs.

And this overpricing is typical of most Sony technology, excluding their game consoles. I can't imagine their newer laptops will be any better with cost vs quality. But obviously I haven't tried one in years now, so what do I know? Just my two cents.
my sony vaio came with a X-Black LCD screen, its significantly better than other LCDs, in terms of contrast, superior brightness, richer colours and a wider viewing angle. its also 17inches wide by 15 so its pretty big for a laptop. I havent seen a nicer screen on a laptop (except the tablets). Being a graphic designer the screen quality was a big feature for me.

the sony vaios are also sexy as fuck, you gotta admit, they're easily the nicest looking laptops after macs.

I own a sony digital camera and PSP that uses Memorystick pro technology, so I didnt need to install any drivers or use any wires because the memory stick slots right into my laptop.

one thing i hate though -- the fan is noisy. really fucking noisy.
whicker wrote:
kumakouji wrote:
no seriously, they suck.

/opinion
At work I bounce around between 3 different notebook computers: A really old Toshiba Satellite laptop (wtf?), an old Pentium Gateway 2000, and a recent Celeron M Dell Laptop.

The touchpad on my boss's boss's old Sony laptop broke, so instead of getting it fixed, he bought the most expensive Sony Vaio he could find. Now it came with all sorts of crap installed, as most do, but this one out of the box was crashy and unstable. Have you ever come across a laptop that would completely ignore Start -> Turn off Computer -> Shut Down?

It would not connect to the network after being configured because by default it was blocking everything. It kept shutting down drivers and programs under DEP, and I had to turn that shit off. It would not burn CD's (granted we only tried it with Window's own built-in CD burning).

Comparing the construction of the VAIO to the others I work with each day, I'd be afraid to sneeze near it. The case is so smooth it's slippery. It creaked when I typed on it.

Sound eminated from the speaker every time the CD or HDD or USB bus did something, even louder than the Dell I use daily. The screen matched the brightness of the old '486 STN Satellite. In comparison, the Gateway has one of the most beautifully vivid TFT LCD screen I've ever seen in a laptop (blues and reds are amazing), in-store or in the wild, too bad it's only 800x600.

The Dell 600m I used was purchased for dirt-cheap ($700-$800) while I can only imagine how much the VAIO cost my boss's bos... err, his company.
honestly, Ive had no issues with my Vaio. It crashes once in a blue moon. Also, as i stated above, my vaio as X-black LCD screen technology which gives an outstanding picture.
Last edited by kumakouji on Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
kumakouji
Rookie

Post by kumakouji »

Last edited by kumakouji on Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
whicker
Trooper

Post by whicker »

kumakouji wrote: one thing i hate though -- the fan is noisy. really fucking noisy.
Oh crap, that's right.

Every time I double-clicked to open a folder, the fan sped up. I found that hillarious at the time. "Don't work too hard, poor thing!"
kumakouji
Rookie

Post by kumakouji »

Noxious Ninja wrote:Are you doing this plugged in, or on battery?
plugged in.
What sound sample rate are you using in ZSNES?
the default
What sound chip does your laptop use?
AC97.