Regen for Linux and Windows

Announce new emulators, discuss which games run best under each emulator, and much much more.

Moderator: General Mods

AamirM
Regen Developer
Regen Developer

Post by AamirM »

Hi,

Does the video 'hiccups' too? It seems something is running the background. What are you running besides Regen?

stay safe,

AamirM
xythen

Post by xythen »

The stutters are definitely in the audio only, the video remains smooth. I just doubled checked with Streets Of Rage 2 and Road Rash 2, where there are smoothly scrolling screens, and the video doesn't jump, just the audio.

I run lots of other emulators (zsnes, bsnes, nestopia, freeDO, pSX etc.) and don't experience the issue. But to be sure, I disabled all non-essential background processes & services (virus checker, firewall etc.) and the audio still jumped.

I could try and get a video of it if that would help. I'm kind of stumped as to what else it could be!

Thanks for all the help by the way. I'd really like to get it running perfectly since it is such a good emulator! :)
AamirM
Regen Developer
Regen Developer

Post by AamirM »

Hi,

Try running it in high priority mode. Also try to turn off your sound card's hardware acceleration and see if it helps.

EDIT1:
BTW, Do you have latest drivers of your sound card?

EDIT2:
Did you tried changing the 'SoundBufferSize' values in the config file (regen.ini)?

stay safe,

AamirM
xythen

Post by xythen »

Yeah, all my drivers are up to date.

I tried changing the level of sound card hardware acceleration but it had no effect. Disabling hardware acceleration altogether just resulted in the audio constantly skipping and crackling.

I discovered that I've already been running in high priority mode (via the menu option). I tried running in normal priority but it didn't affect anything.

I also tried playing around with the "SoundBufferSize" ini option. setting it lower (to 2) made it jump more often, but this time it sounded like the audio cut out momentarily rather than repeated itself.
Setting the value higher (to 10 and then 20) made it take longer to skip, but it still happened. I noticed though that when it did skip, the length of the "repeated audio" part was actually longer depending on how high the value was set. So it seems it may be related to the audio buffer somehow, since this is the first thing I've tried that has actually had an effect on it.
AamirM
Regen Developer
Regen Developer

Post by AamirM »

Hi,

It seems that the sound buffer is being played a little faster than it is being filled. In Regen, when play position is after the write position Regen will normalize them so that play position is before write position thus the repeating audio thing happens. I am a little busy right now with some university work but keep an eye on your PM as I might send you a fixed version when I get some free time. And thanks for reporting this problem.

stay safe,

AamirM
xythen

Post by xythen »

Glad I could help! I hope you're able to fix it without too much trouble. :)

-xythen
ZH/Franky

Post by ZH/Franky »

Alien Soldier does not load up at all on Regen.
It shows a red screen.

Just thought I'd mention this so you can go fix it.
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

Franky wrote:so you can go fix it.
Rude much? If you ever wanted a perfect example of why you irritate people, this is it.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

Post by DancemasterGlenn »

Franky wrote:Just thought I'd mention this so you can go fix it.
Maybe tack "boy" on at the end next time. That should help.

EDIT: I'm also curious to hear if you bothered to make sure your rom was a good dump. Just curious.
I bring the trouble.
Aaron
Lurker

Post by Aaron »

odditude wrote:
Franky wrote:so you can go fix it.
Rude much? If you ever wanted a perfect example of why you irritate people, this is it.
I think he meant "if you want to" :?, which he could assume because of COURSE he would want to fix a bug...
King Of Chaos
Trooper

Post by King Of Chaos »

Franky wrote:Alien Soldier does not load up at all on Regen.
It shows a red screen.

*sighs* Disable AutoFix Checksum.
[url=http://www.eidolons-inn.net/tiki-index.php?page=Kega]Kega Fusion Supporter[/url] | [url=http://byuu.cinnamonpirate.com/]bsnes Supporter[/url] | [url=http://aamirm.hacking-cult.org/]Regen Supporter[/url]
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

Haha, nice.
I bring the trouble.
AamirM
Regen Developer
Regen Developer

Post by AamirM »

It shows a red screen.

Hi,

The only games that don't work on Regen are Onslaught and Time Killers and they have been fixed in my latest build (will be available on linux soon). If a game doesn't work, this means there is some setting problem, you can try changing the region and/or the Autofix Checksum option. Alien Soldier definitely works.

stay safe,

AamirM
ZH/Franky

Post by ZH/Franky »

King Of Chaos wrote:
It shows a red screen.

*sighs* Disable AutoFix Checksum.
Ok hon, thanks for helping me.
Now I can play the best game ever.
AamirM wrote:The only games that don't work on Regen are Onslaught and Time Killers and they have been fixed in my latest build (will be available on linux soon). If a game doesn't work, this means there is some setting problem, you can try changing the region and/or the Autofix Checksum option. Alien Soldier definitely works.
Ok, thanks.
Last edited by ZH/Franky on Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
King Of Chaos
Trooper

Post by King Of Chaos »

You're very welcome. :)
[url=http://www.eidolons-inn.net/tiki-index.php?page=Kega]Kega Fusion Supporter[/url] | [url=http://byuu.cinnamonpirate.com/]bsnes Supporter[/url] | [url=http://aamirm.hacking-cult.org/]Regen Supporter[/url]
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Doesnt it mention that in the readme (the autofix setting) and to try toggling it BEFORE reporting a bug?
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
Hunter

Post by Hunter »

I simply can't make Regen runs on my machine (both builds). It just ends without any error message. Unpacking it with UPX (even with 3.01) just gives me an executable without an icon and that generates a crash report upon its execution. It leads me to believe that the executable is corrupted (maybe corrupted by UPX). I've tried to extract the files inside the zip both with 7-ZIP and WinRAR and none of them gave me an error message (probably because the zip itself is not corrupted).

I would be glad if someone could post a "non-UPXed" version of the file or a compressed version, but using UPX 3.03 instead of 3.01.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

why do you un upx it? you gain practically nothing from it but a loss of hard drive space o_O unless your using a computer with say 32mb of memory.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
Hunter

Post by Hunter »

franpa wrote:why do you un upx it? you gain practically nothing from it but a loss of hard drive space o_O unless your using a computer with say 32mb of memory.
I did it for testing purposes, since the UPXed file refused to run. Pre-decompressing the file gave me an output file with data possibly missing, a main window rendered on the screen and a crash report.

I already had problems in the past with buged versions of UPX that produced corrupted files that just crashed upon its execution. Since the compression algoritms used by UPX are lossless, a decompressed file is suposed to retain its icon data.

Anyway, my AMD CPU may also have a bit of responsability in this case?
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Or the file is coded/compressed in a way that upx can't un upx it without corruption.
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

Hunter wrote:I did it for testing purposes, since the UPXed file refused to run
I bring the trouble.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

yea, and i asked why BEFORE he said that, duh.
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

Just pointing out that your second reply was irrelevant. Either way he's unable to run the emulator, and he needs actual suggestions of what to try next. We don't need another UPX discussion.
I bring the trouble.
AamirM
Regen Developer
Regen Developer

Post by AamirM »

Hunter wrote:I simply can't make Regen runs on my machine (both builds). It just ends without any error message. Unpacking it with UPX (even with 3.01) just gives me an executable without an icon and that generates a crash report upon its execution. It leads me to believe that the executable is corrupted (maybe corrupted by UPX). I've tried to extract the files inside the zip both with 7-ZIP and WinRAR and none of them gave me an error message (probably because the zip itself is not corrupted).

I would be glad if someone could post a "non-UPXed" version of the file or a compressed version, but using UPX 3.03 instead of 3.01.
Hi,

I don't know why but some AMD CPUs have problems running Regen. You can try running this build. There is generic i686 build in it which should run. Its just the executable which you must put where you extracted the official 0.85.

BTW, it has nothing to do with UPX. And UPX has some problems decompressing a MSVC compiled binaries resulting in problems you reported. Hope this helps.

stay safe,

AamirM
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

I'd say the AMD CPUs need to be running those CPU patches from AMD's website... if they use dual core.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...