Super FX - CVS

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Bent
Lurker

Post by Bent »

The rotating platforms in Yoshi's Island are correct, but there are other problems in that same world. I will type this up in the official bug topic later, so this is just a short summary. As was mentioned before, the platforms that mpve up and down have graphical glitches along the sides of them. Also, when between rooms in that level (I forget which one in particular, but it was either entering or leaving the lava room) the screen fade was orange, and it isn't supposed to be.
~Bent
xamenus
Veteran

Post by xamenus »

OK, I just assumed that the rotating blocks would look better than that on a real SNES(more texture, details etc. instead of three bars put together). My mistake. :oops:
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

IceFox wrote:OK, I just assumed that the rotating blocks would look better than that on a real SNES(more texture, details etc. instead of three bars put together). My mistake. :oops:
HEY, it's not a single-colour block, so that kicked ass for the snes...

Check the deformable blocks... (you know, when you pound them, they go flat and very broad) those are uni-coloured.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

Sluggy the Unshaven was a technical highlight for me. Textures and all. ;o

Anyway, on the topic of Yoshi's Island and SFX2.....how many of the effects we find in the game do you think can actually be attributed to the SFX2 chip? You'd think the effects in Touch Fuzzy for example all look like standard SNES tricks...same with Raphael the Raven's battle. Does the chip replace/speed up some of those?

Oh and for that matter....do you think Yoshi's "morphing" effect is actually calculated, or just an animation? (There's realtime morphing in the Violinist of Hamelen....but that's just an outline, not a full sprite.)
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

blackmyst wrote:Anyway, on the topic of Yoshi's Island and SFX2.....how many of the effects we find in the game do you think can actually be attributed to the SFX2 chip?
95%
You'd think the effects in Touch Fuzzy for example all look like standard SNES tricks...same with Raphael the Raven's battle. Does the chip replace/speed up some of those?
Exactly. It's much more robust than the base 3.?? MHz CPU of the SNES. It boosts the rotation, zoom and all mode7 distortions.
Oh and for that matter....do you think Yoshi's "morphing" effect is actually calculated, or just an animation? (There's realtime morphing in the Violinist of Hamelen....but that's just an outline, not a full sprite.)
No, it's pretty obvious there's just a line-by-line sprite replacement.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

grinvader wrote:
No, it's pretty obvious there's just a line-by-line sprite replacement.
Ah, I thought so. :) When the game was just out, I always used to think it was realtime morphing. It was pretty awesome to think that my humble SNES could do such a thing.

Are you sure it's not possible though? The status screen in VoH has actual morphing in it, even though it's just the outline. And that doesn't use a 20 something mhz chip.

Though I suppose they wouldn't waste time on that when they might as well just trown in an animation. Heh.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Morphing an outline is possible with a snes and good code.

As it's just about storing some initial coordinates, ending coordinates, and make a linear transfer from one to the other. Then draw a line between each point to point+1 on a set frame.
[and I just checked, it seems to be exactly that]

Even I could code an outline morph engine like this. And my coding skillz are far from great.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

It's not just a simple transfer from A to B though. Try to switch around quickly between many different forms and see what sort of weird animal you can get, even if it only lasts for a second. :P

On second thought, even that probably works the way you described ... but it's still cool.

While bughunting, I was reminded of this:

Level designer's joke or just my mental state? ;o
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

blackmyst wrote:It's not just a simple transfer from A to B though. Try to switch around quickly between many different forms and see what sort of weird animal you can get, even if it only lasts for a second. :P

On second thought, even that probably works the way you described ... but it's still cool.
Simple, just set the current x and y of each point as initial status for the next morph... I keep watching each and every point's speed and direction, and it's definitely how they do it.
While bughunting, I was reminded of this:

Level designer's joke or just my mental state? ;o
The designer had to write somewhere 'BUY UNDIES' but he had no paper... so he put this shape in the game's code. When debugging, he was reminded to buy undies -> SUCCESS !!
皆黙って俺について来い!!

blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

grinvader wrote:The designer had to write somewhere 'BUY UNDIES' but he had no paper... so he put this shape in the game's code. When debugging, he was reminded to buy undies -> SUCCESS !!
I ROFLed.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Heh. That was great. I should play Yoshi's Island more because I feel that I've been missing out a lot + those new Super FX fixes should make things better to boot.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

Haha. Undies. :P
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
illegal eagle
Savestate Pimp

Post by illegal eagle »

blackmyst wrote:Anyway, on the topic of Yoshi's Island and SFX2.....how many of the effects we find in the game do you think can actually be attributed to the SFX2 chip?
If you open the ROM with a FX-decoder *points to sig* you'll see some graphics, for example the round block that Yoshi can push. These bitmaps are used directly by the FX chip.
"Other people can give you more suggestions as I just lost all my motivation to respond further to this post."
[i] - Nightcrawler[/i]

[url=http://www.geocities.com/illegal_eagle_2003/]vSNES v2.00[/url]: My SNES savestate viewer.