Regen for Linux and Windows

Announce new emulators, discuss which games run best under each emulator, and much much more.

Moderator: General Mods

Hunter

Post by Hunter »

Deathlike2 wrote:I'd say the AMD CPUs need to be running those CPU patches from AMD's website... if they use dual core.
I'm already using the latest drivers and the dual-core optimizer from AMD. Anyway, this i586 build runs like a charm if compressed, thanks. Pre-decompressing it keeps giving me an error - Only part of ReadProcessMemory or WriteProcessMemory request was completed.
franpa wrote:Or the file is coded/compressed in a way that upx can't un upx it without corruption
Yeah, possibly.

I just tested Toejam & Earl w/ SuperHQ enabled and it ran at ~650 FPS, with peaks of 700~750. I liked the emulator a lot :wink:
AamirM
Regen Developer
Regen Developer

Post by AamirM »

Hi,

I am glad it worked out for you and you like it too. :)

BTW, Don't worry about decompressing it. You have huge memory :wink: .

stay safe,

AamirM
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

Post by DancemasterGlenn »

Just to throw it out there again, when the linux build is looking at all ready for testing, I'll be happy to help out with that. Hope progress is going well!
I bring the trouble.
AamirM
Regen Developer
Regen Developer

Post by AamirM »

DancemasterGlenn wrote:Just to throw it out there again, when the linux build is looking at all ready for testing, I'll be happy to help out with that. Hope progress is going well!
Hi,

I have been very busy with university work for the past and this month. I apologize for not giving updates on Regen. My final exams are starting from monday and will continue for two weeks. So just wait three weeks more :) . I am sorry again for making this release so long. But the upshot of that will be that every single feature of Windows will be available on linux too. Yes, with a GUI!

EDIT:
I promise that you will be the first person besides me to run the linux version first. I'll send you a beta when its ready. Just three weeks :) .

stay safe,

AamirM
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

Aw :) don't mind me, I had a feeling that you were very busy. I wasn't trying to rush you or sound impatient, I'm very appreciative of your hard work. Good luck with your finals!
I bring the trouble.
gustavodq

I can't get the emulator to work

Post by gustavodq »

All I get is the message "Regen has detected a problem and must shut down" - "Send Error Report / Don't Send". (with the p3 version). I have a 796MHz Computer with 512 RAM. Is my machine too slow or do I need a .dll to use the app. The p4 version of the Emu only opens and closes back again, with no window appearing on the screen.

I'd appreciate some help.

Gussss
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

is your 796mhz processor a Pentium 3? or is it some AMD model?
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
gustavodq

Post by gustavodq »

The System properties say my model is a VIA Samuel 2 with 796 MHz and 480 MB RAM (plus the 32 used by the Video Card). The Booklet that came with the PC, which I can't find, said the computer was a Mercury.
The OS I use is Windows XP Professional

I hope this helps
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

The Samuel 2-core VIA C3 processor does not support SSE, which Regen requires.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

Wow, via honestly thought it was a good idea to put out a 2 core CPU instead of a single core with SSE? That... was not a well thought out decision.
odditude

Post by odditude »

I.S.T. wrote:...

Wow, via honestly thought it was a good idea to put out a 2 core CPU instead of a single core with SSE? That... was not a well thought out decision.
NO. You're misreading this.

The core of the second-generation VIA C3 processor (a circa 2002 single-core design supporting MMX and 3Dnow!) was named "Samuel 2."
Last edited by odditude on Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
gustavodq

Post by gustavodq »

Probably not, but, is there any way around that? Any .dll or other kind of file that could help?

Thanks anyway.

Gusss
odditude

Post by odditude »

gustavodq wrote:Probably not, but, is there any way around that? Any .dll or other kind of file that could help?

Thanks anyway.

Gusss
Unfortunately not. However, since you have a socket-370 motherboard, there's the slight possibility that it is capable of supporting a Pentium III (Coppermine or Tualatin) or a PIII-derived Celeron (Coppermine/128 or Tualatin/256). There's an equally slight possibility that you might still be able to find one of those processors for sale.

If you're feeling lucky, continue this in Tech Talk.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

I see that Regen has been updated for the Linux people. :imaginary thumbsup:
AamirM
Regen Developer
Regen Developer

Post by AamirM »

Hi,
I see that Regen has been updated for the Linux people. :imaginary thumbsup:
It was long overdue. I would again like to apologize for not completeing the GUI. It was having severe stability issues. I will give another try at making a GUI using Qt this time. But the problem is that I have very less time these days.
Probably not, but, is there any way around that? Any .dll or other kind of file that could help?
Unfortunately there isn't. But fortunately, there is a i686 build available from here that should work correctly. Hope this helps.

stay safe,

AamirM
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

Yay, it's out! This is quite exciting, thanks for working hard on it. I'm sorry the wxwidgets gui didn't work out, as I was looking forward to the gui, but I'm confident you'll figure out the qt version when you are not so swamped. Perhaps mudlord sinimas or some of the other devs around here working with porting their emulators to a qt frontend might be able to lend a hand? Just a thought. I always see this forum as a good place for developers to come for assistance.

I'm having some trouble getting my controller to be detected. Looking at the readme (oh man, I'm famous now :D), if I want to set up a 3 button controller for player 1, do I type "regen -[1]3" (player one, three button)? I'm assuming not, because that gets me this:

Code: Select all

/home/zach/Regen/regen: invalid option -- [
Invalid controller 1 type selected. Setting to 3 button controller.
So it looks like it's setting something up anyway, but my controller is unfortunately still not working. Any help with that would be excellent.

Also, I'd like to thank you for putting the keyboard shortcuts right in the text output when I run the binary without a rom. I know the keys are all in the readme, but it's still a good idea to have it be quite obvious. Though I guess you can't get more obvious than a file that says README in all capitals.

One other thing about the linux port, I have no idea if this is doable, or if it would break portability, but it would be really cool if the configuration could be written to an editable file (conf.ini, or whatever). Being able to edit the configuration files by hand (sort of) to enable/disable crap, or switch filters, was always very useful to me while I was operating a gui-less VBA. It's mostly nice not to have to type the same thing over and over in the terminal when you use pretty much the same options for every game (if you do... I know I do).

And finally, I wouldn't edit the windows version or your spiffy website out of your first post! And I probably wouldn't just say the emulator is for linux. People who come to the forum for the first time will get all confused, and you'll start getting those really weird questions... "hay iz this getn ported 2 windowz? SONIC BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM"

Thanks again Aamir! Regen is definitely worth the wait.
I bring the trouble.
mudlord
has wat u liek

Post by mudlord »

Aamir,

If you want some more filters...
http://vba-m.ngemu.com/personalpage/dow ... ersSRC.rar

There's the code to my Hq*XS Kega Fusion filter plugins.
AamirM
Regen Developer
Regen Developer

Post by AamirM »

Hi,

@DanceMasterGlenn

Sorry, there is no gamepad support right now. The option -[1|2]N (e.g -16, -23 etc.) change the emulated controller type (genesis had 3-button and 6-button controllers). I'll admit I am unclear there. I was just writing in a hurry. So your gamepad will not work currently, sorry again. The reason I didn't add it was because I don't have a gamepad myself so I couldn't test the code. But I'll add it soon along with a full configuration file support (it already has some).

And yeah, I'll put back the Windows' post back too. Thanks for the suggestion. Glad to hear the linux port worked in the first go. :)

@mudlord

Great! Thanks. I'll recompile them on linux and put them up. Those are among my favourite filters. Thank you again.

stay safe,

AamirM
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

I think I understand what you're saying... since it wouldn't know which controller type you were using otherwise (as in, 3 vs 6 button). I look forward to the eventual gamepad support, your emulator grows by leaps and bounds with each release. Most impressive. Thanks again.
I bring the trouble.
AamirM
Regen Developer
Regen Developer

Post by AamirM »

Hi,

Render plugin archive has been updated which now contains mudlord's plugins (2x version only since they are supported at the moment). Thanks goes out to mudlord once again.

EDIT:

Is the speed of linux port ok? I think its a bit slow. But that may just be SDL.

stay safe,

AamirM
bombman

Post by bombman »

Hey AamirM, I think your emulator is pretty great and I tend to be critical of Mega Drive emulators. One thing though, there is screen tearing when i try to use it... and when I turn on VSync, the sound stutters every few seconds. I tried mixing all the options together but the only consistent thing is the sound stutters with VSync, so I have to choose between graphic tearing and sound stuttering. If you could fix this one thing, then I would switch to your emulator from Kega because I really love the blaarg RGB filter, the sound emulation is solid, and there's a "pause emulation" option which Kega does not have for some reason but it's really important for me. So can you please fix this one thing when you get around to it? thanks.
leilei
Rookie

Re: Regen for Linux and Windows

Post by leilei »

AamirM wrote:Replaced MAME's FM core with my own YM2612 emulator which I had been working on for some time.
Mmm, maybe you could help the DOSBox guys out since they're still using the horrible MAME code. YMF262 yes, but that's the best we've got on that platform :(
o^_^o
King Of Chaos
Trooper

Post by King Of Chaos »

Regen's going to get a YM2612 core update soon (more accurate), thanks to Nemesis' recent findings.
[url=http://www.eidolons-inn.net/tiki-index.php?page=Kega]Kega Fusion Supporter[/url] | [url=http://byuu.cinnamonpirate.com/]bsnes Supporter[/url] | [url=http://aamirm.hacking-cult.org/]Regen Supporter[/url]
AamirM
Regen Developer
Regen Developer

Post by AamirM »

bombman wrote:Hey AamirM, I think your emulator is pretty great and I tend to be critical of Mega Drive emulators. One thing though, there is screen tearing when i try to use it... and when I turn on VSync, the sound stutters every few seconds. I tried mixing all the options together but the only consistent thing is the sound stutters with VSync, so I have to choose between graphic tearing and sound stuttering. If you could fix this one thing, then I would switch to your emulator from Kega because I really love the blaarg RGB filter, the sound emulation is solid, and there's a "pause emulation" option which Kega does not have for some reason but it's really important for me. So can you please fix this one thing when you get around to it? thanks.
Hi,

I am working on removing this stuttering and image tearing bug. I am doing this by trying to create a 'fake' Vsync option. Lets hope I get the time to finish it.

stay safe,

AamirM
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

Post by neo_bahamut1985 »

King Of Chaos wrote:Regen's going to get a YM2612 core update soon (more accurate), thanks to Nemesis' recent findings.
Wow, and I thought it was pretty good! Would it then surpass Kega Fusion's or has it already?
俺はテメエの倒す男だ! 宜しく! お前はもう死んでいる...