No Sound with DOS 7.1 and ZSnes 1.42

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

chefboyardi

Post by chefboyardi »

Nach,
Nach wrote:Play with IRQ it's running on, by me when I switched to IRQ 7, it started working fine.
I didn't exactly understand what you meant by this statement, so I tried this: my PCI card is physically assigned to IRQ 5. Via emulation, I emulate a Soundblaster 16 to be assigned to IRQ 7. In my AUTOEXEC.BAT file I had my SET BLASTER line set to IRQ 7... I could run NESTICLE, Duke Nukem 3D, or really any other DOS-based program with sound. However, I didn't get any sound from ZSNES.

I assumed that you meant for me to change that IRQ setting in my SET BLASTER line from 7 to 5, which is what the actual PCI card is running on. So, I set the variable to 5 and I got no sound out of NESTICLE (as expected). When I went to run ZSNES, I loaded a ROM and heard that noise through my speaker like there was a sound about to come out of it... then the computer restarted. I did the exact same thing again and the computer restarted again.

Is that what you meant for me to do? Let me know, and thanks for your help!

P.S. - I was able to find some really old SNES9X and ZSNES releases. The latest version that I could get to run sound with on ZSNES was version 0.715c; all other emulators won't run sound for me.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Go into the SB16 emulation setup options, and play with the IRQ settings. Just changing a SET line doesn't help.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by chefboyardi »

Nach,

Thanks for your help! I switched the IRQ emulation to IRQ 2 and all of my programs (including ZSNES 1.42) work great! As promised, you'll be getting credit for the "ZSNES Sound Fix" in my soon-to-be-written frontend program :D
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Glad it worked :)
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.