Request thread for resolutions

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Dmog
Lurker

Post by Dmog »

Made a thread a while ago (zero reply)
Not a resolution request per se..."

"...but rather, I wonder if there would be an (easy) way to implement something that Mame does: Keep current resolution on fullscreen.
. Mame has this option. So whatever resolution you're using,whether it's a standard or a more custom resolution, Mame uses that.

Basically it allows you to use any resolution (therefore no more resolution requests ) and people could use a powerstrip custom resolution to get a true full screen without the borders in dr modes

Is there any reasons why Zsnes couldn't use custom resolutions? Something about the old code base that would make it very hard to do?
eNc

Post by eNc »

Hi...
Is there a chance to get 1400x1050...? Gotta IBM ThinkPad and don't wanna miss real fullscreen...

Why aren't there checkboxes for changing between R, D, S... W and F...?
Bahamut_ZERO_Clue

Post by Bahamut_ZERO_Clue »

Try a 1400x???? scaled up from 1024x768. It will work a lot better than a full widescreen resolution. I actually had to enable in my GFX drivers to do aspect ratio scaling even if the video wasn't widescreen to prevent the image from looking stretched out too wide.
Slayer7.666_COF

Post by Slayer7.666_COF »

I can't understand why would you play emulated games on a slowed down PC or some thing!? (maby some one posted some thing like this befor me but I can't take a page more of this) Like you play emulated games (has in you own personal extracted roms from the original product or casset in this case :wink: ). Thus meaning you own a real snes and the game, so why would you play it on something like a crappy card, a snes controller with an PC adapter and a wireing set from your pc to a custom audio system that "emulates" T.V sound? If you want such old style use the real snes!

And for custom resolution, after 800x600 there is no addition to the picture quality sins most grafics in snes games are made to be shown in 250x220 (aprox number) like unless im not aware of grafics pactches that are remakes of the games grafics in higher resolution (like in DooM on PC) why go any higher? its like buying a new car just because you don't like the mirrors...

Any how just adding custom resolution would cut all this, now it seems it can't be done that easy. so why not find some one that can do it or just learn how to with your current tools... or you can put up with people till you get sick of asked resolution and ban them all! lol

Sorry if im being ruff here but realy? Who needs suck ass grafics duplicate of real snes or over the top res for same effect has all 1024x768 and higher? like 800x600 is good enough! I play in 640x480 most of the time when I do put it in FULL screen, I just use 512x384 or some thing most of the time, no need for the filthers sins they make my pc lag, i just use interpolated grafics (if i would format i would use hte filthers :oops: ) and on screen res of 1280x960.

Ahhh and yes im back to try this place again, but I won't post as big in my next post.
My english sucks too much to show my real talents, but im nice anyways (exept to people who is called jacob alacrackbass) Captain Planet: only cool poeple have green mullets, "your" hair sucks.
Aerdan
Winter Knight

Post by Aerdan »

Unless you have a resolution request. Please.
Jipcy
Veteran

Post by Jipcy »

eNc wrote:Why aren't there checkboxes for changing between R, D, S... W and F...?
Probably because of the limitations of the ZSNES video code, and/or the pain of changing the GUI.
[url=http://zsnes-docs.sf.net]Official ZSNES Docs[/url] | [url=http://zsnes-docs.sf.net/nsrt]NSRT Guide[/url] | [url=http://endoftransmission.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=394]Using a Wiimote w/ emulators[/url]
Clements
Randomness

Post by Clements »

Took the liberty to sum up all the resolutions requested so far so that people don't request the same ones:

256x240
512x448 DR Full
512x480 DR Full
720x480 DS Full
720x576
768x672 DR Full
768x720 DR Full
912x684 Win
1024x896 DR Full
1024x960 DR Full
1152x896 Win
1152x864 DR Full
1152x864 DS Full
1280x720
1280x768 R Full
1280x768 DR Full
1280x800 DR Full
1280x800 DS Full
1366x768
1400x1050 DR Full
1400x1050 DS Full
1440x900 DR Full
1440x900 DS Full
xamenus
Veteran

Post by xamenus »

Aerdan, do you think you could update your first post in this thread? The links in it are broken.
Bahamut_ZERO_Clue

Post by Bahamut_ZERO_Clue »

Hey Clements. Just to review, widescreen resolutions might not be a good idea without some creative insight. It might be best to have them specially rescaled after stretch to use a correct aspect ratio to make the image look cropped on the sides. I play with the black spaces on both sides of my screen and I don't have any problems but that's because my drivers have an option to do correct aspect rendering at fullscreen.
Clements
Randomness

Post by Clements »

That's not an issue. On my laptop for example, you can switch to 4:3 mode (complete with black borders) very easily in the drivers, or have it stretched to 16:9. You can do this with widescreen TVs as well.

Including extra black borders therefore would not be necessary, and would require additional code to implement. Also, borders are not added in any of the other non-4:3 DS modes either (eg. 1280x1024), so I don't see why widescreen would require special treatment.
Aerdan
Winter Knight

Post by Aerdan »

xamenus wrote:Aerdan, do you think you could update your first post in this thread? The links in it are broken.
I don't have the tools involved any more [hard drive failure & pagefault decided he didn't want me on his server any more, either], so...
pagefault
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by pagefault »

Why you need access to my server is unknown. But I will do it this way so everyone can immidiately start taking advtange of it

ZSNES command line additions

-resX 640 -resY 480

This will run the screen in fullscreen mode with those specifications. From there you can do what you want. This will be a DS mode so filters and it will take up your entire screen.
kamaitachi
Rookie

Post by kamaitachi »

Thanks, pagefault!
Last edited by kamaitachi on Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrWhite340

custom res

Post by MrWhite340 »

I was wondering if you could get 664x440 available? I play on my hd monitor and this is the best res that doesn't clip any of the screen... It would be greatly appreciated... Thanks.
vigi_lante
Rookie

Post by vigi_lante »

Wow. Thanks pagefault...

But are you saying that you will add this option in a future release, WIP, or what ?
zentor

Resoluation 1192 x 668

Post by zentor »

I know I have already requested this resolution from you pagefault, but I just thought I would add it to this thread so you would not get mutiple requests.

1192 x 668 DS Full
1192 x 668 DR Full

Thanks,

Zen
Patrik

Post by Patrik »

I have a new res request... 1024x576
this res is perfect for a pal 16:9 tv using the special rgb-scart cable i was talking about in a earlier post.

when can we expect a release of zsnes with theese resolutions? :D
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Patrik wrote:when can we expect a release of zsnes with theese resolutions? :D
Do not ask for release dates, even if you are just kidding.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Spike
Rookie

Post by Spike »

I think a nice config file with user definable resolutions and modes would rule rather then having this stuff hard coded. I haven't looked at the win32 code but the sdl code makes it look easy. Would be a far better longterm solution as you'll never ever please everyone by hard coding it.
KyJelly
Rookie

Post by KyJelly »

pagefault wrote:Why you need access to my server is unknown. But I will do it this way so everyone can immidiately start taking advtange of it

ZSNES command line additions

-resX 640 -resY 480

This will run the screen in fullscreen mode with those specifications. From there you can do what you want. This will be a DS mode so filters and it will take up your entire screen.
is this available in the current WIP of 3/19 or will this be implimented later? i've tried adding it to launch the gui, maybe i also need to put the rom name too?
anyway if i can't get it going can you please add 1776x1000 to the resolution list, please/thanks.

also since i'm here is there a way to not show the WIP disclaimer that pops up when i load ZSNES?

good work btw
Clements
Randomness

Post by Clements »

Hopefully the resolution thing will be added soon. The disclaimer should only appear once.
KyJelly
Rookie

Post by KyJelly »

i can't wait!

unfortunetly the disclaimer appears everytime. perhaps it's because i'm running it from a front end

/shrug
gltamarin

1920x1080 ( ie 1080p support)

Post by gltamarin »

Would it be much trouble to add 1920x1080 support for HDTVs that use a native resolution of 1920x1080? It would be best if the image shown were 1440x1080 inside of the 1920x1080, fullscreen. As a standard tv is 4:3, and the max resolution inside 1920x1080 (16:9) would be a 'letterboxed' 1440x1080. Thanks.
zenki

Post by zenki »

1280x1024 DR Win
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Shrink your avatar or it will be removed.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.