Snes9x v1.51 release

Announce new emulators, discuss which games run best under each emulator, and much much more.

Moderator: General Mods

Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

I remember it was just some months back, and a lot of people were complaining about how we didn't release a Windows port.

Someone even said something like, it would be better if we didn't release at all.

Someone else also said that if anyone were now to port it, they shouldn't give us the code, to spite us.

I got no end to the list of complaints by the 1.5 release and how evil it was of us to do what we did.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by DEFIANT »

To all involved in working on and releasing the windows port, you have outdone yourselves with your kind and selfless act. Many thanks from me anyone who cares to chime and show some love for the devs...

You guys are GODS among men[/butt-kissing]

no really...great job :!:
[img]http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/2365/pirateuserbartv2.jpg[/img]
E=mc²
"People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people." -V
[url=http://sc2.sourceforge.net/]The Ur-Quan Masters[/url]
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

Nach wrote:I remember it was just some months back, and a lot of people were complaining about how we didn't release a Windows port.

Someone even said something like, it would be better if we didn't release at all.

Someone else also said that if anyone were now to port it, they shouldn't give us the code, to spite us.

I got no end to the list of complaints by the 1.5 release and how evil it was of us to do what we did.
that's rediculous, any work you guys do is great, there is no excuse for such an idiotic reaction.

@franpa, I meant update, I used the incorrect term, but I meant exactly what you said.

yeah, I played nitsuja's update immediately when it came, simply because I didn't have other options at the time, but I didn't know if this was going to be reckognised universally at that point. In any case, kudos to any and everyone involved, that's all I was REALLY trying to say.
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
kick
Trooper

Post by kick »

Nice release overall.Great to see the Windows port is still alive and kicking.
But there's a few problems I'm experiencing with this new version:

- The joypad config dialog still messes up the buttons when assigning the last diagonal (no big issue,since this can be corrected by editing the .cfg file)

- Does Snes9x display the last line (line 224) as bsnes and ZSNES do? When I set TV Mode or Scanlines with the default setting of V=224*x,the scanlines look ugly/uneven.Setting it to 223*x looks perfect,but the last line is missing.
The default setting in the cfg file (for now) should be 512x446 (or 597x446 for a 4:3 screen ratio,as the real SNES outputs),until the last line can be displayed by the emulator.
When enabling the show extra lines option,the display area should switch to 512x480 (or 640x480 for 4:3 display),not still staying at 448 lines and squashing the picture.To solve this issue,there should be a separate option in the cfg for specifying the width/height of the screen when the additional lines are enabled.

- The sound is still crackling.At 20ms buffer it sounds like trash.At 10ms it's way better,but there's occasional popping.40ms and over sounds the same as 10ms,but with additional lag.Turning off sound sync doesn't help with the popping,but makes the sound play at a variable speed (very annoying).
With the last unofficial version (1.502),the sound worked smoothly without crackling when set to 40ms buffer with sound sync OFF,but not this time.
There should be a cfg option to set buffer size (in samples) precisely/manually. Most modern soundcards operate at 48kHz or multiples of it,so these predefined settings might not be optimal.

- Rendering Ranger doesn't work :(
I believe it's a sound core issue preventing it from working.
Last edited by kick on Thu May 03, 2007 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

kick wrote:- The joypad config dialog still messes up the buttons when assigning the last diagonal (no big issue,since this can be rectified by editing the .cfg file)
already notified of this ;) just set the last diagonal then the one above it instead of vice versa.
kick wrote:The default setting in the cfg file (for now) should be 512x446 (or 597x446 for a 4:3 screen ratio,as the real SNES outputs),until the last line can be displayed by the emulator.
oO i think i was told the SNES outputs at a 5:4 ratio. however i find that 4:3 looks far more normal.
nitsuja wrote:There's already a "Maintain Aspect Ratio" option that's on by default when stretching is on, 4X scale wouldn't make a difference as far as aspect ratio goes. 4:3 is not the aspect ratio of the SNES and thus will look weirdly stretched, but if you really want it to do that you can turn off the maintain aspect ratio option.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
MisterJones
Trooper

Post by MisterJones »

IIRC the SNES output an 5.4 ratio image that gets strectched bu the output device (IE, your tv)
_-|-_
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

ah, ok, thank you for that info.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

kick wrote:When enabling the show extra lines option,the display area should switch to 512x480
512x478 afaik.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list