dvd to ipod converters (and tv-out)

Place to talk about all that new hardware and decaying software you have.

Moderator: General Mods

KKND
Rookie

dvd to ipod converters (and tv-out)

Post by KKND »

So I know for a fact that most people here have an iPOD. Now, I'm not sure if any of you have the new 5.5 generation (30GB/80GB) video iPOD.

Well, I do and I want to convert a few of my movies to .mp4. But with the new generation and firmware upgrade - the iPOD now supports H.264 (low baseline) and mpeg4 up to 640x480. (sorry if this is old news...)

So to cut to the chase, what programs do you guys recommend to do this to get the best possible picture (size is irrelevant and this time - just quality). Keep in mind, that I use my own cable for Ipod to Tv-out. So if I wanted to watch the converted movie on my tv - what would be the "best options" - clearly it will not be DVD quality but as close as we can get it.

I've tried:

Videora 2.19
PQ DVD 2.5
ImTOO
Cucusoft Ipod Converter
Handbrake

All of these claim to support "up to 640/480 w/H.264 and Mpeg4" but when you convert the file (and the bitrate has to be lower then 2500 otherwise it will not transfer (except with Anapod and not play) with iTunes.

Have you guys found any success with this converting to ipod format and preferrably to tv-out settings?
zSnes member since 1998
PHoNyMiKe
Retrosexual

Post by PHoNyMiKe »

install a new version of winamp with media library, and use the plugin ml_ipod (it comes with an ipod plugin, screw that, download ml_ipod.) I've used it to transfer 640x480 mp4 video to a 5.5, and it works great. I think the video was a little choppy though.

fuck itunes, remove that shit, use only winamp with ml_ipod plugin ftw.
[url=http://www.alexchiu.com/affiliates/clickthru.cgi?id=phonymike]ultimate immortality[/url]
[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/image,zsnes,white,purple.png[/img][/url]
AntoineWG
Trooper

Post by AntoineWG »

I haven't had any problem converting at 320x240 with Videora. Same with DVD Fab Decrypter Platinum. I never tried them at 640x480 and I don't use a TV out, though.
[i]"It is better to have tried and failed than to have failed to try, but the result's the same." - Mike Dennison[/i]
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

Try Mediacoder. It converts many video files to MP4 files pretty well.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

nero can do it, and make sure you're not going over the max bitrate.
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
SquareHead
Veteran

Post by SquareHead »

Does the video iPod handle DIVX files? I know that DIVX is MPEG4, just with enhancements, but have no clue if portable devices can use it.

I use Dr. DIVX, it has a portable device conversion option. I mainly use it for converting of video files my DIVX DVD player can't seem to handle. Besides that, it has a wide array of supported input files including unencrypted .VOB files from DVD's.
DOLLS (J) [!]
ZNES Developer

Post by DOLLS (J) [!] »

Read this and this.
From the second link wrote:Profiles for Consoles and Portable Devices
PD-PSP: Profile for Sony PSP playback.
PD-Xbox_Hires: Profile for MS XBOX and higher than 512pixels resolution (latest XBMC is needed).
PD-Xbox_LoRes: Profile for MS XBOX and lower than 512pixels resolutions (latest XBMC is needed).
PD-iPod: Profile for iPod Video based on Arstechnica settings.
PD-iPod 5.5G: Profile for the new iPod 5.5G.
casualsax3
Veteran

Post by casualsax3 »

phOnYmIkE wrote:install a new version of winamp with media library, and use the plugin ml_ipod (it comes with an ipod plugin, screw that, download ml_ipod.) I've used it to transfer 640x480 mp4 video to a 5.5, and it works great. I think the video was a little choppy though.

fuck itunes, remove that shit, use only winamp with ml_ipod plugin ftw.
Win win win.
KKND
Rookie

Post by KKND »

wow...thanks for the response guys. Time to sort through all of this info and figure out what's the "best" to use.
zSnes member since 1998
KKND
Rookie

Post by KKND »

correction - I believe I found a easy and great converter. Its called DVDFab Platnium. It's like DVD Decrypter but newer and converts to other formats besides iPOD, PSP, cellphones, etc. Pretty cool I'd say. and the just settings I want to.
zSnes member since 1998