A few ZMV questions

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

casualsax3
Veteran

A few ZMV questions

Post by casualsax3 »

Already searched and tried the doc's to no avail. Here we go.
I work a lot and I need stuff going in the background to keep me going, so lately I've turned to SPC's which are sweet. I'm looking at going with some ZMV's though. I think I would like to listen to a complete walkthrough of Crono Trigger for example, to try and peg what's going on with just my ears. A few questions.
1. The movie is obviously MASSIVE, do I need to worry about it getting out of sync?
2. How can I save my progress in watching it. I'd like to be able to stop, save my progress, and pick up the next day. Is that possible, and if it is, how would I go about loading it the next day?
3. If that's possible, could saving progress regularly help prevent sync issues?
4. Can you fast foward? I would suspect this is out of the question but I figured I'd ask
Thanks in advance
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Re: A few ZMV questions

Post by grinvader »

casualsax3 wrote:1. The movie is obviously MASSIVE, do I need to worry about it getting out of sync?
I bet this will be the biggest issue.
2. How can I save my progress in watching it. I'd like to be able to stop, save my progress, and pick up the next day. Is that possible, and if it is, how would I go about loading it the next day?
You can't do that. You're looking at a movie, without any saving feature in it.
You can, however, start looking at it, then pause it for a while by pressing Escape (even though it's not recommended - can cause timing issues...)
Or, once you're done for the day, stop playing it, then reload another day, and use Turbo to go quickly to where you left. In turbo, 1 hour is spent in ~6 minutes.
3. If that's possible, could saving progress regularly help prevent sync issues?
As said above, not possible.
4. Can you fast foward? I would suspect this is out of the question but I figured I'd ask
As mentionned above, you can fast forward during replay without breaking sync.
Last edited by grinvader on Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
jdratlif
Regular

Re: A few ZMV questions

Post by jdratlif »

edit: my entire reply was based on the fact I thought you were creating a movie, so don't listen to me, listen to grinvader. (sorry, my bad).

casualsax3 wrote:Already searched and tried the doc's to no avail. Here we go.
I work a lot and I need stuff going in the background to keep me going, so lately I've turned to SPC's which are sweet. I'm looking at going with some ZMV's though. I think I would like to listen to a complete walkthrough of Crono Trigger for example, to try and peg what's going on with just my ears. A few questions.
1. The movie is obviously MASSIVE, do I need to worry about it getting out of sync?
I've only had sync issues when using a different version of ZSNES with the movie (e.g. timing issues in the different ZSNES cores).

But I've never watched a REALLY long movie like an entire CT walkthru would be. The longest was 1:20+ Super Metroid speed run. But even these were split-up.
casualsax3 wrote: 2. How can I save my progress in watching it. I'd like to be able to stop, save my progress, and pick up the next day. Is that possible, and if it is, how would I go about loading it the next day?
Do you mean recording it, or saving your progress from a movie that's playing?

In the former, you can use the in-game save. Or stop the movie record (going to the menu I believe will do this, or just go there and hit stop). Then you can use savestates, too. I think savestates will cancel record, but I'm no 100% on that.

In the latter, once you stop playing the movie, the game is just like normal. ZSNES movies are just key presses and timing. So it's playing the game, just like a player piano plays music. It's not really a movie. So you can stop the playback and save any way you choose.
casualsax3 wrote: 3. If that's possible, could saving progress regularly help prevent sync issues?
I would make regular saves and use different movie slots, but that's just because if you want to see a particular part, it's a long way to watch, and because it's not a movie, you can't FF very effectively. But see more below on that.

I don't know if sync issues will happen with a large movie. My feeling is no, but I don't know how big of a movie anyone has ever made.
casualsax3 wrote: 4. Can you fast foward? I would suspect this is out of the question but I figured I'd ask
I have always been able to successfully FF in Super Metroid speed runs, but it's not a great method. Obviously, there is no rewind, and other people have mentioned sync issues with FF. So FF may work, and it may not.

I've had success with it. You might not. That's why I would break up the movies into multiple parts. At LEAST 10 (the most you can have without doing file renaming), but maybe more for such a large game like ct.
Last edited by jdratlif on Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://jdrrant.blogspot.com/ - CODEpendent Blog
http://games.technoplaza.net/ - Emulation Goodies
Kagerato
Lurker

Post by Kagerato »

I recommend breaking the walkthrough into multiple ZMVs, preferably a bunch of them. Very few people are willing to sit through several hours of gameplay at a time. If you break the ZMV into parts, the viewer can comfortably display them one at a time (one per hour, one per day, whatever). In the case of a single enormous ZMV, he/she is essentially forced to use the fast forward function.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Am I the only one who understood he just want to LISTEN to movies ?
He's not gonna make one ! He's not even gonna watch it !

... -_-
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
jdratlif
Regular

Post by jdratlif »

grinvader wrote:Am I the only one who understood he just want to LISTEN to movies ?
He's not gonna make one ! He's not even gonna watch it !

... -_-
Yep. I totally missed that. I knew he wanted bg stuff, but I thought he was going to create the CT movie himself. I didn't notice that "listen" word..
http://jdrrant.blogspot.com/ - CODEpendent Blog
http://games.technoplaza.net/ - Emulation Goodies
casualsax3
Veteran

Post by casualsax3 »

Thanks for the feedback. It doesn't look like I'll be doing CT, though that would have been sweet. In addition to the fact that I wouldn't be able to save my progress, it was done with version .9xx, which is pre window mode so I couldn't even run it in the background.
frankbrodie
Rookie

Post by frankbrodie »

That Chrono Trigger movie that you refer to does work in the latest ZSNES (I've got the latest WIP)

I don't know if it goes out of synch or not. But it definitely starts ok, and plays fine for the few minutes I was watching it.

Is there any way of checking how long the movie is?
It was created as said with ZSNES 0.9 something, and it's 83+ Mb :shock:

I might get round to watching a bit more of it tomorrow.
But I thought I had read on here that the latest versions of ZSNES were getting better at coping with old(er) ZMV files?
Nunc est bibendum...
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

FYI, what grinvader said mostly applies for old ZMVs.

The new ZMV format is much more flexable. You're able to add a chapter as you're watching a movie, and you can seek to chapters when watching a movie.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.