PS3 Emulators Via LINUX! Possibility??

Announce new emulators, discuss which games run best under each emulator, and much much more.

Moderator: General Mods

funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

it be saner to code an x86 emulation layer for the linux that runs on the PS3.
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

Gil_Hamilton wrote: You might be rowing an old-ass 486 or a Pentium 1 through the digital seas of software piracy. That would make the PS3 emulation more appealing.... and you a dumbass for spending that much on a game-less game system and nothing on a new PC.
true, but how many people have a PS3 but no good computer, I've got one of the crappiest computers ever but it runs most emus without a hitch.
sweener2001 wrote:why go for "full 1080i?" i say go for 1080p, the respectable resolution. 1080i is the stupidest hd resolution that exists. my aunt's big screen does 1080i, but not 720p, and it's a 4:3 screen. lame.

i mean, if you went for 1080p, you'd probably get way more support. seriously
totally, if you want to upgrade, progressive scan is the first step, taking that back for a higher resolution is a bunch of crap. Most all Wii games run in progressive for petes sake.
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
FitzRoy
Veteran

Post by FitzRoy »

Panzer88 wrote:
FitzRoy wrote:Who said anything about ZSNES? ZSNES probably can't be ported to the PS3 anyway because it's not an x86 platform.

And "what's the benefit?" I'd say the benefit would be playing SNES games. You may as well be asking why the Nintendo virtual console exists.
Wii virtual console is great, but if you've already got the emulator on your PC what do you need it on your PS3 for? I'm just saying developer time could be better spent.
People's situations are different. Let's say:

-they own their ps3 but they have to share their computer with the family
-their tv is way nicer than their monitor
-their ps3 is faster than their computer
-they have a fast computer, but it's really loud
-they have a fast computer, but it's in the office away from the tv, making it impossible to have a htpc setup
-they want to play on a couch instead of sitting in a chair
-they want to play with friends and their PC has too few controllers
-they want to play with friends but their PC is in the office and it would be awkward to play there

See what can go wrong with a PC and console gaming? If you were in any one of these situations and loved old games, then you wouldn't keep being so confused. The PS3 has linux and it's powerful enough to run many new emulators. You're also not limited in your game selection or paying $10 a pop for stuff you already bought a long time ago. No one would buy a ps3 for this purpose only, it just happens to be capable of things the other systems and even htpcs aren't, and that's great.
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

again, emu devs' time can be spent on more fundamental elements of their work rather than creating cross-platform design or "creature comforts" which is what I see your list as. They are good, but not priorities (of course that is only my opinion)
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
ReRuss
Trooper

Post by ReRuss »

Well if you ever noticed , every console or handheld that's ever been modded has somebody porting an emulator to it

Chances are they might port Snes9x code , but if you're lucky they'd use zsnes code , like ZsnesXbox
[img]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/ReRuss/UBAR.gif[/img]
360 and PS3 - ReRuss
FitzRoy
Veteran

Post by FitzRoy »

Panzer88 wrote:again, emu devs' time can be spent on more fundamental elements of their work rather than creating cross-platform design or "creature comforts" which is what I see your list as. They are good, but not priorities (of course that is only my opinion)
It's usually not the original devs who make these ports anyway. Also, porting an emulator to the ps3 linux is probably far easier in comparison to, say, porting an emulator to the PSP. I think in many cases it wouldn't be much of a diversion in order to reach a whole new audience. It just comes down to devs having a PS3 to test with, and I doubt many have access to one just yet.
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

FitzRoy wrote: It's usually not the original devs who make these ports anyway.
agreed
FitzRoy wrote:Also, porting an emulator to the ps3 linux is probably far easier in comparison to, say, porting an emulator to the psp.
agreed, but still not easy.
FitzRoy wrote:I think in many cases it wouldn't be much of a diversion in order to reach a whole new audience.
maybe, but the question is who is going to do it. A lot of time they don't even get permission from the original creator (at least from what I've seen)
FitzRoy wrote:It just comes down to devs having a PS3 to test with, and I doubt many have access to one just yet.
agreed.
ReRuss
Trooper

Post by ReRuss »

Far as I read , the Hypervisor chip ensures that Linux distros will never be able to access the RSX GPU core by nvidia...

So the graphics capabilities won't be up to par. Which rules out Linux games and some games compatible with wine.

So it's hard to say how far the PS3 linux could go for emus...

Hopefully Sony opens up RSX to Terra Soft YDL to say the least , it might be a while , like having Wi-Fi on PS3 Linux (this happened in like late may)
[img]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/ReRuss/UBAR.gif[/img]
360 and PS3 - ReRuss