maybe in 24-bit color?

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

NFITC1
Rookie

maybe in 24-bit color?

Post by NFITC1 »

I've been posting about ZSNES not being able to enter OpenGL mode for a while. I think I've figured out why. My Ubuntu is running in 24-bit color depth. I can't set it to anything else (for whatever reason) so I need to know is there any way to set ZSNES into accepting 24-bit or make it think it's in 16/32-bit mode?
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Color me stupid, but why do you need exactly 24 bits? Would 32 bits be a more sound choice all around?

No you can't trick ZSNES into thinking it's running in 16/32 bits. ZSNES uses 16 bits regardless of what your set bit depth is (well, at least tries unless you use 24 bits as mentioned).
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Re: maybe in 24-bit color?

Post by creaothceann »

NFITC1 wrote:My Ubuntu is running in 24-bit color depth. I can't set it to anything else (for whatever reason)
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

creaothceann wrote:
NFITC1 wrote:My Ubuntu is running in 24-bit color depth. I can't set it to anything else (for whatever reason)
Oh, right. :/

Driver problem?
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

maybe the xorg.conf doesn't have a section for 16-bit colour? :?

(or if it does it's probably commented out)
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
NFITC1
Rookie

Post by NFITC1 »

Yes, my xorg.conf has a 16 bit section, but it doesn't work. And a forced 32 bit (which isn't supported at ALL in X.Org) doesn't take either.
AlucardZero
Rookie

Post by AlucardZero »

┌─────────────────────────────────┤ Configuring xserver-xorg ├──────────────────────────────────
│ Usually 24-bit color is desirable, but on graphics cards with limited amounts of framebuffer
│ memory, higher resolutions may be achieved at the expense of higher color depth. Also, some
│ cards support hardware 3D acceleration only for certain depths. Consult your video card
│ manual for more information.

│ So-called "32-bit color" is actually 24 bits of color information plus 8 bits of alpha
│ channel or simple zero padding; the X Window System can handle both. If you want either,
│ select 24 bits.

│ Desired default color depth in bits:
I guess that's why 32 is not a choice.

Funnily enough it's only when I try to run ZSNES in Wine that it refused to run due to color depth (I haven't yet tried playing with Wine settings). Compiling it myself for Linux works fine (except for the darn sound problems). Debian Lenny here.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

AlucardZero wrote:Funnily enough it's only when I try to run ZSNES in Wine that it refused to run due to color depth (I haven't yet tried playing with Wine settings). Compiling it myself for Linux works fine (except for the darn sound problems). Debian Lenny here.
If you are even thinking of trying to run ZSNES Windows under WINE, you need to run it with 16-bit or 32-bit color depth. 8 and 24-bit will not work for you (it is intentionally coded that way).
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

NFITC1 wrote:I've been posting about ZSNES not being able to enter OpenGL mode for a while. I think I've figured out why. My Ubuntu is running in 24-bit color depth. I can't set it to anything else (for whatever reason) so I need to know is there any way to set ZSNES into accepting 24-bit or make it think it's in 16/32-bit mode?
Unrelated.

Not being able to use OpenGL could be due to bad permissions, bad OGL libraries, and stuff like that.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by AlucardZero »

Deathlike2 wrote:If you are even thinking of trying to run ZSNES Windows under WINE, you need to run it with 16-bit or 32-bit color depth. 8 and 24-bit will not work for you (it is intentionally coded that way).
I was thinking of trying it just to see if it was any better. I didn't get very far :)

Eagerly and patiently awaiting the next version.
NFITC1
Rookie

Post by NFITC1 »

I run this as super user with the same results. I haven't tried COMPILING as the super user though.... let me try that real quick...(although compiling isn't a quick thing.... Is it usual for newg162.asm to take several minutes to compile?)
Nope, no good. I'm still open to suggestions.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

NFITC1 wrote:I run this as super user with the same results. I haven't tried COMPILING as the super user though.... let me try that real quick...(although compiling isn't a quick thing.... Is it usual for newg162.asm to take several minutes to compile?)
Yes, when compiling in release mode.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...