Help with Zsnes 1.510-1 on Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon)

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

steveo102420

Help with Zsnes 1.510-1 on Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon)

Post by steveo102420 »

When I open ZSNES it closes immediately. How do I prevent this from happening??

Thanks,

SteveO
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Edit zsnesl.cfg and choose another windowed/fullscreen resolution.
Last edited by Agozer on Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
steveo102420

Post by steveo102420 »

Whoa.. I am Green to Linux and have no Idea how to do that. I would greatly appreciate it if you explained step by step. Thanks again for the Help.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

The cfg file you need to edit is in ~/.zsnes/zsnesl.cfg
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
fcastillo

Still doesn't work

Post by fcastillo »

I've changed that file with various configuration and zsnes still crashes everytime i open it. I was playing just yesterday and now it's not working, i don't know why. When i open it, it just show a black screen and stays like that for a couple of seconds and then it closes... Please somebody help I really enjoy using zsnes
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

There isn't much enjoyment in using ZSNES if you can't even get it to run.

So you're saying that setting the video mode through zsnesl.cfg to e.g. OpenGL 640x480 DR FULL, you still get a black screen?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
fcastillo

Post by fcastillo »

Actually, i didn't try any of the full screen resolutions, since I hate to play at full screen. I just tried the mode you suggested and it worked, but i don't know why it's not working for example 800x600 in a window or lower... Could you help me make it work as a windows, or do I have to settle to play in full screen?

PS: One of the reasons i don't paly at full screen is that in some games i'm following a walkthrough guide, and i need to read the guide while i'll play the game, and I can't do this if i'm at full screen
fcastillo

Post by fcastillo »

It's ok, i made it work... I decided to open in a low resolution full screen mode, and try changing the video configuration from there, and it worked... Now I can open zsnes normaly in 800x600 mode, or even higher... I think maybe this was a bug from zsnes... if you need any help trying to reproduce the problem so you can fix it (if it's actually a bug from zsnes) let me know, and i'll do what i can to help you. I love this software, and thanks for replying. :D
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

As a rule of thumb that has been given in other similar threads is: If ZSNES fails to run regardless of port and only shows a black box, edit Zsnes(x).cfg select a sane fullscreen resolution and then pick whatever resolution works for you in Config --> Video.
harlanm

Greener linux user

Post by harlanm »

I am using ubuntu 7.10 and i have a vodoo 3 3000 card Im not sure what way it redners the video.

When I first installed zsnes with add/remove programs it came up fine in windowed mode. Inside that window I changed it to go full screen(don't remember how) Now it opens the screen goes black for half a second and then it closes. I have uninstalled it with A/R and then reinstalled it, same result. I read on the forums about video output so I did the gedit ~/.zsnes/zsnesl.cfg and changed the video values to very low settings and it does the same thing.
Anyone help me?
Tim Blokdijk

Post by Tim Blokdijk »

Run this in a terminal

Code: Select all

mkdir -p $HOME/.kde/socket-$HOSTNAME/mcop
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/127060
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

bad arts
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.
NFITC1
Rookie

Post by NFITC1 »

I am using ubuntu 7.10 and i have a vodoo 3 3000 card Im not sure what way it redners the video.
Wow! Glide without a wrapper. I envy you.

Anyway, for future reference it's best to open zsnes through the terminal because it will display error messages and such pointing you to the source of the trouble. That's assuming that you did a

Code: Select all

su make install
or whatever your distro's version of a super user session is.