2xSaI Outside Of ZSNES

Place to talk about all that new hardware and decaying software you have.

Moderator: General Mods

Cyrus
Trooper

2xSaI Outside Of ZSNES

Post by Cyrus »

I've been meaning to ask if there is a program out there which applies 2xSaI (or other scaling algorithms) to a specified window or even the entire screen so it can be used outside of ZSNES?

I'd have thought someone would have made such a program a long time ago but I haven't ever heard of such a thing. Does anyone have any info on this topic?
Kajuru
Regular

Post by Kajuru »

That reminds me of the guy who wanted the NTSC filter affecting the whole desktop
bobthebuilder
Hazed

Post by bobthebuilder »

Yes, there is a program that does that for images. You can use the print screen function to view a window or the desktop under the effects of a scaling algorithm. Go to the homepage of the author of the hq#x algorithms to download a prog. that can do this.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

bobthebuilder wrote:Go to the homepage of the author of the hq#x algorithms to download a prog. that can do this.
http://www.hiend3d.com/, I guess? There're only programs to apply hq?x to an image.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
Cyrus
Trooper

Post by Cyrus »

Thanks for the info guys. Well... it looks like no one really did make what I'm looking for after all.

Just for fun I tested the hqnx filters on some images of pixelated 2D games and the sprites in the results are just as blocky as before. I guess that's because the sprites were the most pixelated part of the image and at that size it recognizes them as a bunch of squares to filter :? Bah.
mudlord
has wat u liek

Post by mudlord »

Nitsuja's HQXxS algorithms solve this problem of sprite filtering.

As for your original question, there is now program that does what you are after. There is pixel shader versions of HQ2X and 2xSai though...
Cyrus
Trooper

Post by Cyrus »

mudlord wrote:Nitsuja's HQXxS algorithms solve this problem of sprite filtering.

As for your original question, there is now program that does what you are after. There is pixel shader versions of HQ2X and 2xSai though...
I'll assume you meant to say no instead of now. Would you happen to know the websites for the pixel shader versions?
mudlord
has wat u liek

Post by mudlord »

Yes, I meant to say "no" to the idea.

The pixel shader versions of the various scaling algorithms are here:
http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza/dosbox.html
Cyrus
Trooper

Post by Cyrus »

mudlord wrote:Yes, I meant to say "no" to the idea.

The pixel shader versions of the various scaling algorithms are here:
http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza/dosbox.html
Thanks again. Now I'm wondering how to put any of them to use considering they seem to be in a format for DOSBox. You'll have to excuse me if anything I say is wrong/doesn't make any sense, I don't exactly have much knowledge on the subject.
bobthebuilder
Hazed

Post by bobthebuilder »

creaothceann wrote:
bobthebuilder wrote:Go to the homepage of the author of the hq#x algorithms to download a prog. that can do this.
http://www.hiend3d.com/, I guess? There're only programs to apply hq?x to an image.
Yes, that is the program I was referring to. He can copy the contents of a window with Print Screen and scale away (Of course after he saves it first as a bmp).
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

Kajuru wrote:That reminds me of the guy who wanted the NTSC filter affecting the whole desktop
What's worse, the only reason he wanted it was so he could adjust the colour and brightness settings in windows... and kept going on about it like a retard.
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
mudlord
has wat u liek

Post by mudlord »

Now I'm wondering how to put any of them to use considering they seem to be in a format for DOSBox. You'll have to excuse me if anything I say is wrong/doesn't make any sense, I don't exactly have much knowledge on the subject.
It is possible to rewrite those HLSL shaders to work for any D3D application. Given though, you might need decent D3D programming skills. I have one other app that works with those shaders, if you want it :).

Although, it doesnt do what you are after. It only works on image files, just like Maxim's HQXX programs.
Cyrus
Trooper

Post by Cyrus »

mudlord wrote:
Now I'm wondering how to put any of them to use considering they seem to be in a format for DOSBox. You'll have to excuse me if anything I say is wrong/doesn't make any sense, I don't exactly have much knowledge on the subject.
It is possible to rewrite those HLSL shaders to work for any D3D application. Given though, you might need decent D3D programming skills. I have one other app that works with those shaders, if you want it :).

Although, it doesnt do what you are after. It only works on image files, just like Maxim's HQXX programs.
Oh well, thanks anyway.
Kajuru
Regular

Post by Kajuru »

blackmyst wrote:
Kajuru wrote:That reminds me of the guy who wanted the NTSC filter affecting the whole desktop
What's worse, the only reason he wanted it was so he could adjust the colour and brightness settings in windows... and kept going on about it like a retard.
I'm not paying any attention to new filters, but wouldn't a 2xSAI desktop require twice as big resolution? The way I understand it, a 1600x1200 2xSAI desktop would look like a smooth/blurry 800x600...what a waste of workspace and system resources.

Edit: Correction, 800x600 2xSAI would require 1600x1200.