Fiber-optic internet.

Place to talk about all that new hardware and decaying software you have.

Moderator: General Mods

Rydian
Lurker

Fiber-optic internet.

Post by Rydian »

So I was renting a room from some lady a couple of months ago (moved into a new place with my father since then), and she had a gamer son, and one of her daughters had a husband (who's staying with us now because she's a mean drunk) who's a gamer, and of course anybody staying in the spare bedroom would need internet access, too.

So she got verizon fiber-optic internet. I easily knew the most of computers in the house, so I was in charge of the modem/router. Unfortunately it was a modem/router in one, so they were sharing the ram and too many connections (such as using DHT in torrents) would make it perform terrible, but it was great once you turned DHT off.

Anyways, my point. For a few months, I had access to 15/2 speeds. And on average, I did speed tests every week or so, I'd be getting anywhere from 14.2-14.7 down, and 1.5-1.7 up.

My horrible specs can't really make use of that, so generally the greatest improvement was seen on her son's computer in the other room. Since he's a gamer, wireless wouldn't cut it since he plays MMOFPS games, so I went to radioshack and picked up a 20-foot ethernet cable. XD

Anyways. So he wanted to try the free online multiplayer version of F.E.A.R. that was released. He tried the official torrent. A couple thousand people.

... after it got started, it never dropped below 950K a second. Kbytes, not Kbits.

So discuss your internet speed stories.
Athlon XP 2800+
765MB DDR-333
AGP Geforce 6200

Took me, what, a year to update this info?
And meh, screw legs.
Oh... puns. I get it. Shame on me.
SquareHead
Veteran

Post by SquareHead »

I upgraded my cable internet service some months ago I get 16/1 85% of the time.
Rydian
Lurker

Post by Rydian »

Who's your provider? What are they charging? Noticed any caps?
Athlon XP 2800+
765MB DDR-333
AGP Geforce 6200

Took me, what, a year to update this info?
And meh, screw legs.
Oh... puns. I get it. Shame on me.