Need help creating a PAR Code for Final Fantasy II

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Evil Jin

Need help creating a PAR Code for Final Fantasy II

Post by Evil Jin »

I want to create a Cure 1 Code that will restore ALL HP and MP to every character when casted, however, I am unsure how to go about doing this. I already know how to make basic codes for Max Health, etc. thanks to FAQs (I REALLY Appreciate this!!!). Is there anyone who thinks they can lend me a hand? I found some Game Genie codes that do just this, however, whenever I enter them properly:

0DB7-AF72
F9B7-AFE2

It changes them on the Cheat Section to something else and, I am unsure how to fix this... So instead I'd rather make a PAR version of these codes since Game Genie codes won't work and PAR codes will work. I don't know how to convert a Game Genie code to PAR so that doesn't help me... Thank You Very Much in Advance!!!
~Evil Jin-
Rydian
Lurker

Post by Rydian »

It 'turns them to something else' because it displays the PAR version of the game genie code. Which is just displaying the memory bank, address, and the value, which is what a PAR does, jsut without the fucked-up display the game genie used to try to make people not be able to make their own codes...

PAR is better than game genie, it can affect memory areas the game genie cannot.

The code will still work the same.
Athlon XP 2800+
765MB DDR-333
AGP Geforce 6200

Took me, what, a year to update this info?
And meh, screw legs.
Oh... puns. I get it. Shame on me.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Rydian wrote: PAR is better than game genie, it can affect memory areas the game genie cannot.
But RAM codes are vastly inferior to ROM codes. Which means that while a PAR can do more, it's not as big a deal as it's made out to be because the Genie can do the good stuff too.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Hardware-wise, a GG could do more than PAR (couldn't change ROM with the latter), but GG codes are garbled messes.

Ultimately they both do the same thing, i.e. byte mods. Most patches out there could be rewritten in a halfton of GG codes.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

grinvader wrote:Hardware-wise, a GG could do more than PAR (couldn't change ROM with the latter), but GG codes are garbled messes.
I thought some PAR flavors COULD do ROM?
Ultimately they both do the same thing, i.e. byte mods. Most patches out there could be rewritten in a halfton of GG codes.
*buys lots of Genies, stacks them on top of each other*
Who needs a copier to play these things?
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

The fact that the op is looking for a code that makes Cure1 operate like an Elixer is pathetic. It's not as if this game wasn't stupidly easy to begin with.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Evil Jin

Post by Evil Jin »

Well, let me ask You something Deathlike2 - Why would it be pathetic to ask for help on such a code just because a game can be easy? Haven't You ever heard of having fun with a code? I think making a Cure1 operate like an Elixir is an Interesting idea IMHO. You stated Your opinion and, now I am stating mine. Perhaps when You have played Final Fantasy IV (II), it was easy for You. However, NOT every gamer in the world plays like You do and thus, we ALL have our own style of gaming. Next time You call something "pathetic" think about others instead of Your own play experience. I would expect such a ZSNES Developer to be considerate, however, You are a proven example of the people we live with in this world - a smartass. Thank You, for taking the time to read my posts! :)
~Evil Jin-
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

It's how you stated your original question. If you wanted a constructive answer, you need to state it better IMO.

Fact is I put up a whole FAQ question for people like you that has links to answer such questions: http://board.zsnes.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=10510
You still have to do the guesswork anyways.

If you were wondering how to do it, look for Game Genie codes involving tweaking the behavior of a Cure1 portion to something else requires lots figuring out/tinkering.

However, getting the Cure1 potion to do multitargeting will require some actual thought, as menu usable curative items AFAIK were not designed to multitarget everyone in the menu.

When you input Game Genie codes, they are converted into addresses to be modified in the ROM.

Edit: I found this - http://desnet.fobby.net/doc/Convert%20them%20Codes!.txt - Copy+Paste is required
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Evil Jin wrote:Well, let me ask You something Deathlike2 - Why would it be pathetic to ask for help on such a code just because a game can be easy? Haven't You ever heard of having fun with a code?
I'm baffled as to how this makes the game fun.
I think making a Cure1 operate like an Elixir is an Interesting idea IMHO. You stated Your opinion and, now I am stating mine.
Your opinion is wrong. :P
Perhaps when You have played Final Fantasy IV (II), it was easy for You. However, NOT every gamer in the world plays like You do and thus, we ALL have our own style of gaming.
Recoding the game to remove what little challenge exists is NOT a valid playstyle.

But what's even more disgusting is claiming to have beaten the game after cheating through it.
Just because I CAN reach the end of RType Final by disabling collision detection doesn't mean it's a remotely valid play choice.

Next time You call something "pathetic" think about others instead of Your own play experience. I would expect such a ZSNES Developer to be considerate, however, You are a proven example of the people we live with in this world - a smartass. Thank You, for taking the time to read my posts! :)[/quote]
Evil Jin

Post by Evil Jin »

In Response to Deathlike2: Thank You, for informing me of such links. I Appreciate it Sir! I am still rather new to making codes and, I cannot be expected to just to know how to do something. Thank You, again.

In Response to Gil Hamilton: I never claimed to have beat Final Fantasy IV. Furthermore, it is my right and everyone elses right to cheat irregardless to validty in beating a game. There is NO universal law stating I need to play a game a certain way. Finally, opinions are neither right or wrong. Obviously, You missed the meaning of the word "opinion" in when growing up in life. Or wait, have You matured past puberty yet? You may still be young and, have a LOT more to learn in Your life - just like the rest of us in this world.
~Evil Jin-
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Evil Jin wrote:In Response to Gil Hamilton: I never claimed to have beat Final Fantasy IV. Furthermore, it is my right and everyone elses right to cheat irregardless to validty in beating a game.
Cheating is a RIGHT now?
I suppose I'll see professional baseball players in the supreme court next arguing that the illegality of steroids infringes on their rights?

I'm sorry, but... no. Cheating is HARDLY a right.

Finally, opinions are neither right or wrong. Obviously, You missed the meaning of the word "opinion" in when growing up in life.
Actually, an opinion CAN be right or wrong.
There are clearly situations in which an opinion is highly subjective, or can't be proven, but it's quite possible for an opinion to be wrong.

Nonetheless, the colon-pee smiley implies a degree of non-seriousness.

Or wait, have You matured past puberty yet? You may still be young and, have a LOT more to learn in Your life - just like the rest of us in this world.
Oh, wow.... a crack about my age.
THAT impresses me. Almost as much as the fact that you're trying to create the lamest hack imaginable for FF4.

Seriously, if you want to make the game an embarrassment to society, jsut plug in some infinte HP/MP codes and "play" your "game".
Johan_H
Starzinger Addict

Post by Johan_H »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:There are clearly situations in which an opinion is highly subjective, or can't be proven, but it's quite possible for an opinion to be wrong.
An opinion is always highly subjective. If it can be proven wrong, it's not an opinion, merely a true or false statement.
Opinions can, however be based on false information.

Move along.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

This thread gives off high levels of Jack radiation.

Containment is imminent.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Johan_Hanberg wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:There are clearly situations in which an opinion is highly subjective, or can't be proven, but it's quite possible for an opinion to be wrong.
An opinion is always highly subjective. If it can be proven wrong, it's not an opinion, merely a true or false statement.
Opinions can, however be based on false information.

Move along.
http://m-w.com/dictionary/opinion
I believe 1a to be the relevant definition. Perhaps 2a.

Neither precludes you being wrong.
For example, it is franpa's opinion that his SNES output is being scaled by his TV, to the detriment of image quality.
Johan_H
Starzinger Addict

Post by Johan_H »

Strange. In swedish, an 'opinion' can by definition never be right or wrong, and is always subjective.

I hate english.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Johan_Hanberg wrote:Strange. In swedish, an 'opinion' can by definition never be right or wrong, and is always subjective.

I hate english.
I do too. It's a bastard hybrid of everything else, and the rules only exist to define exceptions to them.
NFITC1
Rookie

Post by NFITC1 »

Has anyone besides me tried this? It didn't work. It just made the Genie's ROM run over and over (at least this was the case on the Genesis).
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

opinions are like assholes.

everyone has one, and they all stink.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

NFITC1 wrote:
Has anyone besides me tried this? It didn't work. It just made the Genie's ROM run over and over (at least this was the case on the Genesis).
How large did you try, and how many starts did you press?

I'm sure you'll see errors after a few Genies, but I wouldn't expect an infinite loop.

2 Genies work on an NES. That's the only case I've personally tested.
You press start, you land in the second Genie. You press start again, you're in the game.
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

Evil Jin wrote:I would expect such a ZSNES Developer to be considerate, however, You are a proven example of the people we live with in this world - a smartass. Thank You, for taking the time to read my posts! :)
Deathlike2 is a kitten compared to some people, at least he's straightforward with you.
Johan_Hanberg wrote:Strange. In swedish, an 'opinion' can by definition never be right or wrong, and is always subjective.

I hate english.
most of the time it's the same in english, this is certainly an exception.

codes are just lame rom hacks. except for the cool ones.
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]