Importing XviD lossless into Window Movie Maker?

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Lee Christie

Importing XviD lossless into Window Movie Maker?

Post by Lee Christie »

Hey, I tried out the video recording feature in ZSNES and dumped the output to XviD lossless, but I can't get Windows Movie Maker to work with it. It recognises the audio but not the video and only goes into the timeline as a soundtrack even though it's muxed XviD+PCM.

I installed K-Lite Codec pack and FFDShow but that didn't make a difference. I can play the video in Window Media Player, but not Movie Maker.

Any help? Thank in advance.

:)

(note: same goes for FFV1 and X264)
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

I never used windows movie maker but I've heard of people having odd things just refuse to work and whatnot with it. As for the video editing software you should be using, I'm not sure about.
Palin
Hazed

Post by Palin »

If you're just going to re-encode the movie into a different format, you can always load it up in Virtualdub

Virtualdub will support any codecs for encoding or decoding video that are on your computer (except wmv for legal reasons.)
Lee Christie

Post by Lee Christie »

I'm sorry I supposed I didn't make clear what I was trying to do. I'm trying to edit the video in WMM, not just transcode it. Also, when I install K-Lite Codec Pack on my Windows XP machine, WMM picks up a bunch of new filters such as MP4, FFDshow, MPEG-4, FLV Splitter and so on, which enabled it to work with these file formats just fine and I CAN work with the Xvid or X264 file.

I'm trying to get this to work on Windows Vista, installing K-Lite Codec Pack on my Vista machine doesn't seem to add any filters to the Windows Movie Maker compatability list and I'm not sure why.

Technically, I could do it by transcoding the file from it's current format to something WMM will work with by default. I don't want ot do this for two reasons, it requires extra needless work, and also another encoding steps would degrade quality slightly because the video would then be edited, then re-encoded when WMM is done with it, it'd be like making a copy of a copy. I want to import the XviD lossless or X264 lossless directly in to WMM. It works on my XP laptop, but I don't like working with that thing.

And paulguy, I'm afrade I don't have a fancy Mac with Final Cut Studio... though that would be cool.
Lee Christie

Post by Lee Christie »

Palin wrote:If you're just going to re-encode the movie into a different format, you can always load it up in Virtualdub

Virtualdub will support any codecs for encoding or decoding video that are on your computer (except wmv for legal reasons.)
Actually I just decided to check out VirtualDub and got this error on my Vista PC:

but again, like WMM, it works fine on my XP PC. Seems to be some problem with the codecs not being compatable with Vista or something. :(
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

pfff, Mac. Did you try just decoding it to raw video? I'm thinking Vista's directshow is just different enough to be incompatible with k-lite codecs pack or some weird "feature" in Vista is blocking the codecs for whatever reason.
Lee Christie

Post by Lee Christie »

paulguy wrote:pfff, Mac. Did you try just decoding it to raw video? I'm thinking Vista's directshow is just different enough to be incompatible with k-lite codecs pack or some weird "feature" in Vista is blocking the codecs for whatever reason.
WMM doesn't support RAW input, only ASF, AVI, MPEG1, MPEG2 (partial support), and of course WMV. Anything else you need to have a compatible filter installed and they don't seem to be working. :(
Palin
Hazed

Post by Palin »

You can use FFDshow for an encoder/decoder, but I have no idea what kind of compatibility it has for Vista

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow

Also, I have a feeling it will conflict with whatever codec-packs you have installed. Properly configured, though, FFDshow is all you need.
Noxious Ninja
Dark Wind

Post by Noxious Ninja »

That version hasn't been updated in 4 years. Use the newer versions.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow-tryout/
[u][url=http://bash.org/?577451]#577451[/url][/u]
Lee Christie

Post by Lee Christie »

I tried FFDShow, K-Lite Pack, and somethng called Vista Codec Pack, but nothing worked. (uninstalling previous stuff before installing a new codec pack of course) WMM on Vista just refuses to work.

This is how my compatability screen looks on Vista (left) and XP (right) in WMM, clearly it just isn't detecting the codec pack in Vista.

Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

All I can say is that you need to get a Vista-compatible codec pack.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Palin
Hazed

Post by Palin »

Noxious Ninja wrote:That version hasn't been updated in 4 years. Use the newer versions.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow-tryout/
Whoops, yeah, I just linked to the first google hit.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
Lee Christie

Post by Lee Christie »

Aha! Solved it!

All I needed was K-Lite Codec Pack 64-bit Add-On

Thanks for your replies everyone. :)