Issues with loading game save files

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Caziret

Issues with loading game save files

Post by Caziret »

Ok, im not a total retard in using computers... however I am rather a novice when it comes to ROMs, I was playing my favourite game Secret of Evermore when I lost the game. I didnt have a game save to load from. I found a website that offers the download for savestates for that game (I found 1 close to where I lost my game) but when i try to play it, it wont work properly... i can see the screen and hear the music... but the characters arent there and things sometimes go a bit glitchy. Please hellp cos otherwise i have lost about 10 hours of gameplay. :( :?
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

1) Learn to save in-game. Ignoring this rule for an RPG is disasterous.

2) You want to be downloading game saves instead (SRM files). That is always emu compatible.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Caziret

Post by Caziret »

I have tried that... all i get is the frozen picture and audio, is there any possibility that i can ask someone to take control of my system using windows to help me out... im ready to cry :(
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Use you use SRM files, it loads automatically upon game load. However, this doesn't require any extra ZSNES interaction. You're supposed to rename the file to match the ROM's name.

For instance..
SOE.smc expects an SRM file named...
SOE.srm

Make sure you placed this file in the correct folder (or defined Save directory).

You don't load this file like you would a savestate.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Caziret wrote:is there any possibility that i can ask someone to take control of my system using windows to help me out... im ready to cry :(
If you're ready to cry now, giving someone on the internet control of your system would be an even worse idea than normal.
pixelpowered

Post by pixelpowered »

the problem with a .srm file is that it saves the contents of the entire system, as a result, if the .srm file was created using a different version of rom(good or bad or just different revision) or sometimes even different version of ZSNES, then it's not going to work properly for you. Definitely always save in game, as stated above, this is paramount in RPGs. 10 hours is something you can live with, imagine making it through 70+ hours and then having this happen(I did, first game I ever played in ZSNES) I would just play through saving in the actual game. also, note when zsnes loads the game, if it says checksum fail or ok for the game, if it says fail, then chances are an in game save will eventually corrupt before you finish the game(had that happen too)
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

pixelpowered wrote:the problem with a .srm file is that it saves the contents of the entire system, as a result, if the .srm file was created using a different version of rom(good or bad or just different revision) or sometimes even different version of ZSNES, then it's not going to work properly for you.
No, that's a ZST or ZS# file.
SRM files are standard in-game saves.
also, note when zsnes loads the game, if it says checksum fail or ok for the game, if it says fail, then chances are an in game save will eventually corrupt before you finish the game(had that happen too)
That's not what checksum fail means.
It means the ROM image doesn't match the checksum it carries. There's a number of reasons this could happen, some of which have no bearing on gameplay, and one of which is actually beneficial(you're using a translation patch to make a japanese game into english).
noodles416

Post by noodles416 »

i need help with this too. i forgot to save so i downloaded a zst file and a srm file. both of them are under the same folder with the chrono trigger rom but the save, or the save state file wont open
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

noodles416 wrote:i need help with this too. i forgot to save so i downloaded a zst file and a srm file. both of them are under the same folder with the chrono trigger rom but the save, or the save state file wont open
The savestate most likely won't work as good as the SRM. SRM universally works. Make sure you define a save directory so it makes life easier for you.
noodles416

Post by noodles416 »

how do you do that :/?
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Config --> Paths
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
noodles416

Post by noodles416 »

i tried that what i did was type down the location of the srm data under saves and saved configuration but it doesnt seem to work
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

noodles416 wrote:i tried that what i did was type down the location of the srm data under saves and saved configuration but it doesnt seem to work
Then you are doing it wrong.

If all else fails, edit Zsnes(w/l).cfg directly, and change the SRAMPath= entry.

Note that the filename of the SRAM has to match the filename of your ROM.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Pictures help here.

In any case, you need to write the enter folder path on that spot anyways.
noodles416

Post by noodles416 »

ill just print screen and show you guys the picture when i get home

maybe im doing it wrong
bigchips07

loading files

Post by bigchips07 »

Ok. I'm not very well versed at all with this so bear with me. I bought a laptop last week and I wanted to move my files over from my desktop. I burned all the files to a disk and copied them to my laptop. The games themselves load and play fine. The problem is that none of the saved games work. On my desktop they work fine when I load the game and then hit load state. Is it even possible to transfer files from computer to computer? I have save files for ff3 and crono trigger that I'd love to get working. Any help is appreciated.
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

Delete the config file (zsnesw.cfg) then make sure the files all aren't set read only.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Re: loading files

Post by Deathlike2 »

bigchips07 wrote:Ok. I'm not very well versed at all with this so bear with me. I bought a laptop last week and I wanted to move my files over from my desktop. I burned all the files to a disk and copied them to my laptop. The games themselves load and play fine. The problem is that none of the saved games work. On my desktop they work fine when I load the game and then hit load state. Is it even possible to transfer files from computer to computer? I have save files for ff3 and crono trigger that I'd love to get working. Any help is appreciated.
paulguy is on track, since burning stuff to cd will set files to read-only status.. which is definately not what you want.

Remember that if your drive letter and directory structure on your laptop doesn't match your desktop, it's not going to "just work" out of the box. If you set it up to match it, you should be fine for the most part, otherwise you have to edit the save directory path to point to the correct folder on your laptop to get it working properly.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Windows XP removes that setting when copying files from CD automatically.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
noodles416

Post by noodles416 »

http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/mm16 ... orznes.jpg

the circled is what i put under paths
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Make sure you typed it in all correctly, since that is of vital importance.

You should double check by editing (and copying+pasting or taking a picture of) the path that is entered in zsnesw.cfg.

Also, make sure you are using the latest version of ZSNES. 1.42 and older versions will have problems with extremely long paths.
bigchips07

re:

Post by bigchips07 »

Ok. I tried the advice that you guys posted. I deleted the config file and then tried to load the save by picking load state and it wouldn't work. Then I tried hitting load and manually selecting the save file. When the main screen loaded after I did that it had all the usual white text but instead of saying chrono trigger it had all arrows where the name goes and then it said chksum fail. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
leilei
Rookie

Post by leilei »

Your rom is corrupted?
o^_^o
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

No, his ROM image is NOT corrupted.

You can't load the save file from the emulator's load menu. You can only load ROM images there.
noodles416

Post by noodles416 »

i got it to work somehow thanks for all the help everyone,(forgot to post here after i was done)